In this section, you will find the Milan Malpensa Airport Guide with information about Wi-Fi, recreation areas, facilities and services, traveler reviews about the airport, and the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that an overnight stay at the airport is not for you.
“If you plan to spend the night at Malpensa Airport, bring food, a hand sanitizer, and arrange for a night at Terminal B!”
To help organize your time at the airport, we offer you traveler reviews on how they spent time at Milan Malpensa Airport.
- A modern international airport with two terminals: a large, new terminal 1 with three waiting areas (A, B and C) and a small, old terminal 2 serving only EasyJet aircraft. The airport is clean, there are several shops and restaurants that close quite early. If the automatic snack does not make you appetite, take food and drinks with you in order not to stay hungry late at night!
- Free Wi-Fi is available. More on this in the Wi-Fi / Internet section below.
- Terminal 2 is a low-cost cargo terminal, there are always overnight tourists there. According to their reviews, the arrival area is the best place to sleep at the airport. Terminal 1, larger, there is a lot of free space on the floor and there are metal benches, but at night it is quite crowded.
- At The Gran Cafe at level P1, you can sit in comfortable seats by the window and stay there until 5 am when the cafe opens. On the 3rd floor there is a food court where you can sleep comfortably on the floor in a quiet passage along the escalator. It will be a plus if you have a sleeping bag or sleeping mat.
- For a relaxing stay and sleep at the airport there are several hotels. More information about this can be found below in the Airport Hotels section.
- Economy class passengers can use recreation areas for first-class passengers for an additional fee. More information about their location and cost can be found in the Airport Rest Zones section.
- Vending machines located on the right side of the departure zone (terminal 1) are cheaper than all other vending machines at the airport.
For more information on the facilities and services available, go down below to continue exploring the Milan Malpensa Airport Guide. Send us your feedback on the airport to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guidebook we can refer to the location of «outside» and «inside.» «Outside» is a public terminal area located in the unguarded part, prior to passing the security check. “Inside” is a protected area of the terminal, which you can reach after passing through security checks.
Airport rest areas
If you are traveling economy class, you can use the recreation areas at Milan Malpensa Airport for an additional fee or using the membership program. Visit a separate recreation area page for more detailed information (facilities, opening times, cost information and membership program):
- Recreation Area Club S.E.A. Pergolesi Lounge — location: terminal 1, inside, Schengen zone, gates A. There are shower cabins ($). Opening hours: from 6:00 to 22:00 (daily). Payment at the entrance: € 35.00
- Recreation Area Club S.E. Monteverdi Lounge — Location: Terminal 1, inside, Schengen zone, gates A. There are shower cabins. Opening hours: from 6:00 to 21:30 (daily). Payment at the entrance: € 35.00
- Recreation Area Club S.E. Respighi Lounge — Location: Terminal 1, outside, 2nd floor. Opening hours: from 6:00 to 21:30 (daily). Payment at the entrance: € 35.00
At the airport is available free connection to Wi-Fi. The standard speed is 512 KBps. If you need high-speed Internet, you can download the Wi-Fi Plus Free update (2 Mbps) by registering with the Via Milano Programm. Roaming members of Internet providers, such as Boingo, can also use their Internet service at the airport.
If you do not want to stay overnight at the airport, we offer you a list of hotels located near Milan Malpensa Airport:
- The Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel is located in Terminal 1. A free shuttle service runs between the hotel and Terminal 2. Minimum 5 hour and daily payment is possible.
- Hotel MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport- (1 minute walk from the airport terminal) is located directly opposite terminal 2. There is a free shuttle service to terminal 1.
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel Malpensa Airport- (5 minutes from the airport) is located between terminals 1 and 2. Transfer to terminal 1 is charged, runs from 5:00 to 11:30, one-way fare: 4 € / person. (in the period from 24:00 to 5:00 transfer is possible only on request, one-way fare: 8 € / person). Transfer to Terminal 2 is possible only on request and is sent 5 minutes after the scheduled departure time of transfer to Terminal 1. This transfer is also carried out from / to the Crowne Plaza Milan.
- Hotel Crowne Plaza Malpensa Airport- (5 minutes from the airport) is located between terminals 1 and 2. Transfer to terminal 1 is charged, runs from 5:00 to 11:30, one-way fare: 4 € / person. (in the period from 24:00 to 5:00 transfer is possible only on request, one-way fare: 8 € / person). Transfer to Terminal 2 is possible only on request and leaves 5 minutes after the scheduled departure time of transfer to Terminal 1. This transfer is also available from / to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel Malpensa Airport.
- Hotel Hotel Ristorante Cervo- (2 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle runs from 5:00 to 10:00 and from 15:00 to 23:00, one-way fare: 3 € / person. Taxi transfer offers discounts during the break.
- Hotel “First Hotel Malpensa” — (3 minutes from the airport) shuttle to the airport runs from 4:30 am to 1:30 am, one-way fare: 3 € / person.
Here is a list of all the hotels at the Milan Malpensa Airport where you can find affordable accommodation. Tripadvisor can sort by price.
More information about the service, amenities and other features at the airport:
- ATMs / ATMs — ATMs are located both outside and inside terminals 1 and 2.
- Childcare rooms — a height-adjustable table, a dividing wall and an ergonomic chair for breastfeeding are available in the special room of the Baby Pit Stop zone. Pay attention to the special logo designating the Baby Pit Stop zone, located in the Sala Amica hall.
- Banks — Banca Popolare di Sondrio, location: terminal 1, outside, check-in area 17, 2nd floor. Opening hours: from 8:00 to 13:15 and from 14:30 to 15:45 (Mon-Fri), from 8:35 to 24:00 (Sat). Banca Popolare di Milano, location: terminal 2, arrival zone, ground floor. Opening hours: from 8:20 to 13:20 and from 14:35 to 15:35 (Mon-Fri).
- Church — services begin at 8:00, on Sundays and holidays. Location: Terminal 1, outside, check-in area, 2nd floor.
- Children’s play area — equipped with interactive games and toys. Location: Terminal 1, inside, near the B5 landing gate; Terminal 1, inside, near the landing gates B50-B59; Terminal 2, inside, at the gateway D9.
- Currency exchange — there are 10 currency exchange offices: T1: arrivals areas A and B, ground floor; departure areas A and B2, 1st floor; reception area, 2nd floor. Opening hours: various, the earliest opening is 5:45 am, the latest closing is 23:15 pm (departure zone B2); T2: check-in area, ground floor (opening hours: 6:15 am to 7:45 pm); departure zone, 1st floor (opening hours: from 5:15 to 21:45).
- Duty-free and shopping — there are 5 Duty-Free stores in Terminal 1, one store in Terminal 2, all are inside. There are also several retail stores.
- Family service — there is a special “Family Sector”. If you are traveling with children under the age of 13, go down the stairs next to check-in areas 7 and 8 to get into the family sector.
- Fast Track Service — as a priority service for customers, waiting time will be minimized. Cost: € 9.00 with online booking.
- Food and Drinks — the opening hours of catering facilities vary, the earliest opening at 4:00 am, the latest closing at 10:00 pm. Currently, there is no institution that works round-shaking. Some of the possible options to visit are: Briciole Bar, Gran Cafe, Juice Bar, McDonald’s, Pane Vino e San Daniele, Pastasciutta, Pizza Chef, Rossopomodoro, Sky Lounge Bar.
- Luggage storage — at the moment there is no information on the cost of this service. Location: T1, Arrival Area B, ground floor. Opening hours: from 6:00 to 22:00.
- Baggage wrap — in terminal 1 there are 10 items for wrapping baggage, in the terminal 2 — 2 points. Location: T1, outside, check-in area, 2nd floor; T2, outside, reception area, ground floor. Opening hours: from 4:00 to 21:00.
- Medical services — the first-aid station is located on the 1st floor in the southern part of Terminal 1, as well as on the ground floor outside Terminal 2.
- Pharmacies — Location: T1, outside, arrivals area, ground floor (opening hours: from 8:00 to 20:00); T1, Departure zone B, 1st floor (opening hours: from 8:00 to 20:00); T2, outside, check-in area, ground floor (opening hours: from 8:00 to 20:00).
- Mail — Poste Italiane, location: T1, outside, arrival area, ground floor. Opening hours: from 8:20 to 13:45 (Mon-Fri), from 8:20 to 24:45 (Sat).
- Shower cabins — shower cabins can be found in recreation areas. Read more about this in the Airport Lounges section.
Three bus routes run at intervals of 20 minutes between Milan Central Station stations and terminals 1 and 2. Also, there is a bus transfer from Linate Airport station. Regular routes also exist from Fiera Milano City, Lombardy, Piedmont, Liguria and Ticino stations. Tickets are purchased at boarding. Tickets for buses departing from Milano Central Station can also be purchased online or at points of sale in the arrival halls of both terminals.
Terminal 1 of Milan Malpensa Airport is connected to Milan via several railway lines. Terminal 1 can be reached from Cadorna Station in 29 minutes by the Malpensa Express train. Also, you can catch the Malpensa Express train at Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi stations. For passengers of regional, international and high-speed trains, there is an opportunity to get to Milan Malpensa Airport by taking the Milan Centrale station using the Gallarate FS route and the BUS SACO bus line. For more information, visit the Malpensa Express website.
Many local hotels offer airport transfer service out of respect for their guests. Ask in your hotels about this service and more detailed information. Airport transfer services are offered by the following hotels: Aer Hotel Malpensa, Airport Motel Malpensa, Best Western Motor Hotel, Cardano Hotel Malpensa, Crowne Plaza Milan — Malpensa Airport, First Hotel Malpensa, Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa, Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport, Hotel Ostia della Pista, Hotel Ristorante Cervo, Malaga Hotel, Hotel Villa Malpensa, Hotel Visconti, Ibis Milano Malpensa Aeroporto, Malpensa Inn.
In both terminals of the airport there are car rental agencies: Auto Europa, Dollar, Gold Car, Hertz, Locauto, Maggiore, Sixt and Thrifty are located in terminal 1. Avis, Budget and Europcar in terminal 2.
The airport offers a 24-hour free shuttle service between terminals 1 and 2. The shuttle runs every 7 minutes from 5:00 to 23:00 and every 30 minutes from 23:00 to 5:00.
Taxis can be found outside near the arrival halls, exit 6 from the basement of terminal 1 and exit 4 at terminal 2. Taxi service cost (as of August 2015):
- Milan> Malpensa Airport € 90
- Malpensa Airport> Fiera € 65
- Malpensa Airport> Linate Airport € 100
Two companies at the airport provide rental services for sedans and limousines with a driver.
The European Limousine Consortium is open from 6:00 to 12:00, the information desk is located in terminal 1, the arrivals area is B. CTM Consorzio Taxi Malpensa is located in terminal 1, the arrivals area, the ground floor. Opening hours of both companies: from 7:30 to 9:15 (Mon-Fri), from 7:00 to 18:00 PM (Sat), and from 8:00 to 24:00 (sun and holidays).