Malaga Airport is the fourth largest airport in Spain after Madrid-Barajas, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. It is an extremely important airport for Spanish tourism, as it serves Malaga and the entire Costa de Sol region. It is located 8 km south-west of the city center. It serves 60 flights worldwide, the airport serves about 14 million passengers daily.
Line A Express provides communication between the airport and the city center.
- The route has 10 stops along the way.
- Travel time is 15 — 25 minutes, depending on traffic.
- One ticket costs 3 euros, and you can buy it directly from the driver.
- The bus runs every 20 minutes.
- Opening hours: from 07:00 to 00:00.
To get to the Renfe Malaga Airport train station, exit the Arrivals hall at Terminal 3. Head onto Cercanias Malaga line in the direction of Fuengirola.
Trains do not run after midnight.
The final destination you can take the train to is Fuengirola, after which you need to use a bus or car to go to resorts like La Cala, Mijas, Marbella, etc.
At Malaga airport, there are many taxis waiting for you outside the Arrivals Hall, but during the summer months you may have to wait a while because of the large number of tourists. Make sure they have their own taximeters. Depending on the direction in a taxi, their tariffs are set for the most popular destinations, but keep in mind that prices vary depending on the day, time, season, etc.
Transfer: A safer option than taxi service is to book a door-to-door service, especially if you carry a lot of baggage. The driver will be waiting for you in the arrival area with your name. Do not worry if your plane is late, the company controls the arrival of the flight. Another advantage is that private transfer companies give you the opportunity to pre-order a child seat.
8 companies offer their services directly at the airport. Tables are located on the first floor not far from terminal 3. To avoid a queue, especially in the summer season, book your car online.
If you arrive with a larger group of people (10+), it is best to rent a bus before you arrive. After that, bus rental companies will inform you about your destination.
The bus company Avanza will send you to Marbella, directly from Malaga airport. You can buy a ticket online or at the ticket office outside the arrival hall.
A single ticket costs € 6.15 — € 8.20, depending on the season.
Travel time is 45 minutes.
From AGP to Estepona: the same company links the airport and the city of Estepona.
Driving time 1 hour 15 minutes.
One ticket costs 8.70 — 10.70 €.
The Avanza bus also provides connections to Algeciras, but keep in mind that there is much less travel during the winter season than during the summer months.
The price of one ticket ranges from € 8.65 to € 17.30.
The duration of the trip is 1 hour 55 minutes.
From AGP to Seville, Granada, Almeria, Almunecar, Nerja and Torrox: the ALSA bus company offers several routes to nearby cities. You can buy a ticket online, at the box office or by phone.
Keep in mind that this bus line M-135 does not stop right at the airport. You must go to the main road (San Isidro) to catch the bus.
Question: My plane is late. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
- Answer: No, the local bus line is open all day, the train is before midnight, but if you do not have time for them, you can take a taxi in the waiting room at any time.
Q: I have an early morning flight from the airport, are there any hotels at the airport where I can stay?
- A: The nearest Holiday Inn Express hotel is just 600 meters from the airport. A little further Parador de Malaga Golf. Both hotels are located at a short distance, they can be reached on foot and provide full service, Wi-Fi and comfortable rooms.
Question: I would like to spend one day in Malaga between flights. Is it possible
- Oh yes of course. The best way to do this is to take a local bus or train that takes you directly from the airport to the city center. From there, every part of the city is well connected by public transport. The airport is only 8 km from the city, so you can get there in less than 20 minutes.
Question: I continue my journey outside Malaga. Are there any direct bus lines from the airport to other cities?
- A: Yes, as a popular tourist resort, Malaga has good connections with other parts of the Costa de Sol. You can visit Estepona, Algeciras, Marbella or other nearby cities, such as Seville and Granada, to go there directly from the airport.
Q: Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my fare?
A: Yes, ATMs and exchange offices are located at the airport, but it is better to exchange money before the trip and have the euro on hand, since the rate will be much higher on the spot, and other currencies other than the euro are not accepted.