Bilbao Airport (BIO) is the main airport of the province of Biscay and is located 9 kilometers from the city of Bilbao. Being the tenth largest city in Spain and the capital of the province, the popularity of Bilbao is growing every year, more than 4 million passengers are served at the airport every year. The most popular routes are Madrid and Barcelona, and when it comes to international destinations, passengers from Bilbao usually fly to Germany, Belgium, France and the UK.
The best way to get to the city center (Moya Square) and the bus station is to take the local bus number 3247, operated by Bizkaiabus. The bus travels from and to the airport every 30 minutes. The first comes out at 6:15, and the last at midnight. The cost of a single ticket is 1.40 €.
There are no direct rail links from the airport to the city, however, if you need to get to the main railway station of Estación de Abando, use the mentioned bus route number 3247 and get off at the bus station, which is 2 minutes away. walk from the train station.
If you have a lot of baggage, you can use the services of various taxi companies that are waiting for customers 24 hours a day, 7 days in the arrival terminal. The cost of a taxi is about 21-26 €, depending on the time of day.
In case you need a trip to a hotel that is difficult to reach on foot from the city center, consider booking a door-to-door trip. Your driver will be waiting for you outside the arrival terminal with your name, even if your plane is late (the transfer agency will monitor the arrival of your flight).
If you want to explore the city on your own, feel free to rent a car, either directly at the airport (Avis, Hertz, Sixt), or book it online in advance.
If you are traveling in a large group, you can rent a bus in advance (at least a couple of weeks in advance) to arrange all the details with the bus hire agency.
Direct route from Bilbao Airport to San Sebastian every day from 07:45 to 23:45 every 60 minutes. The cost of the bus in one direction is 16.50 euros, and the bus stop is located on the Plaza de Pio XII.
NOTE. The bus also stops in Zaratuza, in the Rotunda de los Bombero, in which case the ticket costs € 14.25.
Another direct route from the airport is to the city of Arrasat. The bus also stops in Eibar and Bergara, and it runs 5 times a day. The price of a ticket to Arrasat is
Question: The plane is late with arrival at the airport. Will it be a problem for me to get to the city?
- Answer: Bus route number 3247 runs very often, but if you miss all the buses — you will always be waiting for a taxi in the arrival terminal.
Q: I have an early morning flight from the airport, are there any hotels at the airport where I can stay?
- A: The nearest hotel is located 2.1 km from the airport — Holiday Inn Express Bilbao (3 *), it provides free Wi-Fi, breakfast and parking.
Question: I would like to spend one day in Bilbao between flights. Is it possible
- A: Of course. The best option is to take a local bus that takes you from the airport directly to the main square. Unfortunately, there is no luggage storage at the airport, however, there are lockers for luggage at the Termibus bus terminal.
Question: I continue my journey outside Bilbao. Are there cheap bus routes from the airport to other cities?
- A: There are several direct lines from the airport, which we have already mentioned, to such small cities as San Sebastian and Arrasat. If you are planning to visit other popular cities, check out the popular routes Bilbao — Zaragoza or Bilbao — Madrid.
Q: Can I exchange money at the airport to pay for my trip?
- A: Yes, there are several ATMs located on the first and third floors (Kutxabank, Santander, etc.). There is no exchange office at the airport, so you must have a euro before you arrive in Bilbao.