In this section, you will find the Geneva Airport Guide with information on Wi-Fi, recreation areas, facilities and services, traveler reviews about the airport, as well as the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that an overnight stay at the airport is not for you.
To help organize your time at the airport, we offer traveler feedback on how they spent time at Geneva’s international airport.
The airport is conducive to sleep, the staff is friendly with overnight travelers, of whom there are not so many.
There are two terminals: T1 — large and new, divided into compartments A, B, C, D and F. T2 is used only for charter or seasonal flights.
The airport closes overnight with the last flight and usually opens around 05:30 am. Do not leave the terminal, otherwise you will not be able to log back.
• Security will be interested in identity documents and confirmation of your nearest flight.
Cafes and restaurants close at 22.00, there is no round-the-clock catering.
There is free wifi. Read more about this in the Wi-Fi / Internet section below.
- There are a lot of chairs at the airport, although most of them are hard chairs with armrests.
- In T1 on the right side of the second floor there are calm waiting rooms.
- There is no carpeting on the floor, so prepare something to keep it warm.
- Usually silence and not too bright light, but travelers talk about night cleaners, which can break the silence.
- For a restful sleep and rest, there are several hotels near the airport. More information about this is below in the Airport Hotels section.
• There are shower cabins; More information on the location and work schedule can be found in the Airport Guide.
Economy class passengers can use the three rest areas for first-class passengers for an additional fee. Read more about the location and cost in the Airport Rest Zones section.
For more information on services and amenities, go down below while continuing to explore the Geneva Airport Guide. Send us your feedback on the airport to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guidebook we can refer to the location of «outside» and «inside.» «Outside» is a public area of the terminal, located in the unguarded part, before passing the security check. “Inside” is a protected area of the terminal, which you can reach after passing through security checks.
If you are traveling in economy class, you can use the recreation areas at Geneva airport for an additional fee or using the membership program. Visit a separate page on recreation areas for more information (amenities, opening times, cost information and membership program):
Recreation AreaDnataSkyviewLounge — location: main terminal, inside, between the basement and the first floor. Opening hours: 6.00 — 22.30 (daily). Entrance to the hall: payment at the entrance (45 francs), online booking (£ 28), PriorityPass program. DnataSkyviewLounge also offers discounts in the morning time in the amount of 30 francs for the period from 6.00 to 8.00 in the morning.
Recreation Area HorizonBusinessLounge — location: main terminal, inside, between the basement and first floor. Opening hours 6.00-21.30 (daily). Payment at the entrance (35 francs), with online booking (£ 28), the PriorityPass program.
• Relaxation Area Business Class Lounge — location: main terminal, inside. Opening hours: 5.30-21.30 (daily). PriorityPass is available to enter the hall.
Free Wi-Fi is available at Geneva Airport for 90 minutes. Connection to the network “Free_WiFi_GVA”. It is possible to reconnect every six hours again for 90 minutes. It is also possible to buy extra time.
If you do not want to stay overnight at the airport, we offer you a list of hotels located near Geneva Airport:
- Hotel StarlingGenevaHotelandConferenceCenter — (3 minutes from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. Free shuttle service to and from the airport is available from 5.10 to 23.45 every 15 minutes daily.
- Hotel IbisGeneveAeroport— (15 minutes on foot or 4 minutes of driving from the airport) the free transfer to the airport is carried out from 5.30 to 23.15 daily.
- Hotel NashAirportHotel — (5 minutes from the airport) free transfer to / from the airport is carried out every 20 minutes from 5.00 to 23.30. The departure point of the airport transfer is at the level of the arrivals area, at exit 4. Daily accommodation is subject to availability.
The list of all hotels at the airport of Geneva will help you find cheap accommodation, on the site Tripadvisor you can sort by price.
More information about the service, amenities and other features at the airport:
- ATM / ATM — only 4 ATMs. Head to BanqueCantonaledeGeneve for francs and euros.
- Children’s area — Includes games, kitchen, dressing area and recreation area. Location: transit area, between the basement and the first floor. Opening hours: from 8:00 to 20:00.
- Baggage carts — trolleys can be found at 83 different locations throughout the airport. Cost: coins of 2 francs or 2 euros.
- Children’s play area — located in the transit zone between the A5 and A8 exits.
- Currency exchange — Location: railway station. Opening hours: from 8:00 to 20.00.
- Dry cleaning — dry cleaning and ironing is available. Location: railway station. Opening hours: from 8:00 to 20:00 (Mon-Fri), from 9:00 to 12:30 and from 13:00 to 20:00 (weekends and holidays).
- Early baggage claim — hand over your luggage the day before departure, at the same time receiving a boarding pass and a seat in the cabin. Location: railway station.
- Fast Track Service — as a priority customer service time of service and waiting will be minimized. Online reservations are possible until midnight. Cost: 8 francs (approximately 8 euros).
- Food and Drink — There are many eating places at the airport, but not a single restaurant operates around the clock. Most restaurants are open from 5:30 to 22:00 or until the last flight.
- Luggage storage — There is a luggage compartment at the railway station (work time 7.30-20.15). The maximum shelf life is 1 month. Cost — 10 francs per day. Storage cells are also available at the train station (operating time 5.00-23.50), cost 6-9 francs per day. The maximum shelf life is 3 days. Swissport also offers storage of valuable items. Location: Swiss reception area. Opening hours 5.00-23.00. For storage between 5.00 and 21.00, please contact rack No. 90 in the check-in area and for storage between 21.00-23.00, contact the Swissport counter in the arrivals area.
- Meditation room — location: transit area, between the basement and the first floor.
- Pharmacy — SunStore pharmacy (location — railway station, opening hours 8.00-21.00) and pharmacy Principale (outside, departure area, opening hours 6.00-21.00).
- post office — location: railway station, as well as airport arrivals area. Hours unknown.
- Repair of shoes and phones — Does your shoe or phone need repair or need a new watch battery? Location: railway station. Opening hours from 9.00 to 20.00.
- Shopping — besides DutyFree stores, there are many stores selling clothes, souvenirs, chocolate, alcohol, books and much more.
- Shower cabins — available in three places. Location: arrival zone (outside, near the baggage claim no. 6; arrival zone (outside, near the post office); departure zone (inside, transit zone, near first-class / business class rest rooms. Cost — 15 francs (including soap, shampoo and a towel.) Tokens can be purchased at the Swissport welcome counter (location is the arrival area, near the baggage claim number 2 and number 3, opening hours from 7.00 am to the last flight), at the information counter (location outside, arrival area, opening hours 7.00 -23.00), in the children’s room (location — inside, zone howled A transition zone, while the 8.00-20.00).
- Smoking room — there is a smoking room in the transit zone of terminal 1.
The airport is open from 4:00 to 24:00 (T1)
Several city bus routes follow to and from the airport as part of the UNIRESO system. Scheduled buses to Ennecy, Grenoble, Chamberí and Lyon are also available directly from the airport. Most regional and international bus routes leave from the Geneva bus station (Routiere bus station), which is a ten minute walk from Cornavin train station. For more information, visit the GareRoutiere or UNIRESO websites. Night travelers can use the Noctambus service, which is also part of the UNIRESO system. More information can be found on the Noctambus website.
At Geneva Airport, there are car rental agencies in both sectors, Swiss and French. Passengers who take a car in one sector and donate in another will have to pay an additional fee. The Swiss sector is represented by the agencies Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, National / Alamo, Sixt and Dollar / Thrifty. The French sector is represented by agencies Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
The hotel’s transfer meets its customers outside when leaving the arrivals area. Currently the following hotels offer a transfer service: HolidayInnExpressGenevaAirport • IbisGeneveAeroport • MovenpickHotelCasinoGeneva • NashAirportHotel • NH GenevaAirportHotel • StarlingGenevaHotelConferenceCenter, French hotels — NovotelFrance • ParkSuitesElegance.
Many taxis located at the airport and throughout the city are always available in Geneva. Passengers traveling to the airport can also catch a taxi on the street or order by phone. The fare should be accurately displayed on the taxi meter. At the moment, the cost of travel between the airport and the city is 35-45 francs, depending on traffic, time of day, number of passengers, as well as luggage and pets.
Geneva Airport has a railway station, located under the runway, 250 meters from the terminal, with direct access to the check-in and arrival areas. All trains leaving the airport go directly to Cornavin station, which is 6 minutes away. Cornavin station is served by the Swiss railway network, as well as long-distance trains from France and Italy. Most Swiss ski resorts can be reached by train from the Geneva Airport station via Cornavin station.
Unireso is a public transport system that includes trains, river boats, buses and trams. A single ticket works on all types of transport within this system. The ticket can be purchased at vending machines at the airport, at bus stops and at some Swiss railway stations (coins are required — francs or euro). Tourists arriving at the airport, can get a free ticket in the machine, valid for 80 minutes of travel. Travelers staying in hotels, hostels, will receive a Geneva transport card, which allows the cardholder to use the UNIRESO system for free during his stay in the city. The following modes of transport follow to / from the airport:
City buses depart from the airport to Geneva and France every 8-15 minutes from the check-in area, near the airport train station.