Volkhov: sights of the past and present
The small cozy town of Volkhov is spread on both sides of the river of the same name in the Leningrad Region. The descendants inherited a cultural, historical heritage mainly from Soviet times. The name of the river is known to every schoolchild, it did not happen by chance, but according to legend, according to which the legendary Sloven, possessing remarkable strength and courage, was considered a sage and a magician (in the Old Slavic «Magus»). Among travelers, the sights of Volkhov are not of much interest, but there are places worthy of attention.
The main place for tourists to visit the Leningrad region, who is not indifferent to the historical heritage of Russia, is considered the oldest building on the Volkhov River.
Volkhov hydroelectric station
The idea to create a powerful hydroelectric station arose from a talented engineer Graftio at the turn of the XIX and XX centuries. Construction lasted for many years, but the project did not arouse interest in the tsarist government, and was frozen. With the coming of the Bolsheviks to power, the Provisional Government became interested in a strategically important object, but it was possible to modernize it by 1921, and only in 1926 was the building ready for operation and it was solemnly opened.
At a time when the front line was very close (1941), the most important parts of the hydroelectric station were dismantled, and the equipment was removed to a relatively safe place. Toward the fall of 1942, in order to provide electricity for the city of Leningrad, an additional cable was laid across the bottom of Lake Ladoga and the hydraulic unit was again launched.
Such actions allowed the blockade city to survive terrible times. Full restoration was carried out in 1945.
Now on the territory of the hydroelectric power station there is a place where tourists are led by tourists. The buildings of the hydroelectric power station are located on one side, but on the contrary, on the other side of the river there is a wooden mansion of 1924. An engineer of the hydroelectric power station lived in this large and beautiful house. Now it houses the museum of the history of the city of Volkhov and the museum of the engineer Graftio, whose name will forever remain in the history of Russia as the founder and builder of the largest hydroelectric station.
Those who have already looked at the sights of the Volkhov District, certainly visited the station square, where there are monuments assigned to the cultural and historical heritage of Russia. The building of the station, built in Soviet times, is decorated with a high pointed tower with images of Soviet paraphernalia. There is an engraving board on the wall, it contains information that the city of Volkhov was awarded the Order of the Revolution of 1917.
Steam engine monument
A significant historical place to visit is the monument-locomotive, which has its own legendary history. After breaking a long and terrible blockade of Leningrad, he was first sent with supplies of food and ammunition to the Finland Station in February 1943.
Much later, the initiative of war veterans to establish a steam locomotive on a pedestal was supported by the authorities.
They ordered the construction of a temporary railway branch for its installation, since the lifting structures at that time did not have the capacity to move heavy objects. The opening ceremony of the monument took place in 1980 on the day of the celebration of the Great Victory over Nazi Germany.
Temple of the Archangel Michael
For the first time, the mention of the citadel of God is found in sources dating back to the end of the 15th century. Some sources of information attribute its first appearance to the middle of the XVIII century. Initially, the church was wooden, she had 2 throne. The original appearance of the temple was lost due to the destruction during the war of 1812, when it burned almost to the ground, and only the sacred Antimins survived the conflagration. Later, the church was rebuilt, it was already a white-stone building, it was open to the parishioners, and there was a parochial school in it.
After the revolutionary events throughout Russia, God’s temples were destroyed, many ministers were repressed. In the surviving buildings organized educational institutions, hostels for revolutionaries, many of them were used as storage facilities. During the war (1941–1945), a vault of medicines was placed in the building of the Church of the Archangel Michael. Later, a shelter for hazardous chemical materials was established in it, which was why the natural stone was partially destroyed. Later the church was repaired more than once, and now relics in the form of holy relics are kept there.
Heroic places where much reminds of the horrors of tragic events are scattered throughout the Leningrad region, and people will never forget the heroic feat in those distant and terrible years.
Palace of Culture
The buildings erected by the architects of Stalin’s times, interesting and unusual, differ in many respects from modern buildings. People still live in famous buildings, some of the objects are listed as monuments of the past. One of such legacies is the palace of culture of the city of Volkhov. Artists carry out great work to identify talents, both in the city and throughout the Leningrad region, contribute to the development of children’s creativity. In order to create interest in art, the organizers hold performances, concerts, themed evenings. Serious achievements can be noted by the teams working here:
- veteran choir;
- dance ensemble «Rainbow»;
- pop orchestra «Jazz-tone»;
- theater group «Candle»;
- Folk Instruments Ensemble «Volkhov Dawns»;
- rock ensemble «Vitamin-U»;
Something mythical is hovering in the air of the temple of art, and artistic groups gathering to hold various events from the entire Leningrad region, cities, and other districts gain an extraordinarily creative upsurge.
Not far from the hereditary town of power engineers there is a small rural settlement, which is poetically called Staraya Ladoga. This place is also known by the fact that it was the ancient capital of Russia. A stele was installed in the square for the 1250th anniversary of the settlement.
An interesting attraction of the village is an ancient stone fortress, for centuries it served as a haven for ships and ships.
More than two dozen cannon towers, reaching a 20-meter height, majestically rise above the picturesque Volkhov River. Fortitude fortress was shown during the Swedish intervention in the beginning of the XVII century. For many years, researchers of the ruins have studied the features of the fortress, as they have found signs that were once uncharacteristic. It turned out that the foundations of the fortress of the XV-XVI centuries, which were considered to be time, were not installed correctly. At the base of the fortress, its predecessors were found — stone skeletons, built at the beginning of the XII century, and even earlier — at the end of the IX century.
Mounds and antiquity
There is a large field in the Sopki tract (between Volkhovsky Prospect and Volkhov), where barrows of presumably VIII-XI centuries rise. Inquisitive tourists will be interested in the most famous of the mounds, which is called Oleg’s grave. It is in this place that the Prophet Oleg was supposedly buried, although there is no direct evidence of this.
Not far from the kurgans on the Volkhovskoye Highway there is a handicraft settlement — an old-fashioned yard formed by a restorer artist, with a souvenir shop and samovar tea ceremonies.
On the bank of the Volkhov River, rich in the glorious traditions of the Russian people, historical values, is located one of the number of luxury cities in Russia, Veliky Novgorod. Tourists, these places do not leave indifferent, because this city is saturated with historical and cultural values.
The sights of Volkhov and Staraya Ladoga, of course, include well-preserved houses that once belonged to the Kalyazin family of merchants. One of them is wooden, built in the 19th century by A. V. Kalyazin, where the museum “The merchant life of Old Ladoga” is now located. The exhibition — a collection of clothes, household items inhabitants of Ladoga lakeside. Another house — stone — P. V. Kalyazin. Construction of the same times. Today in its walls is located the Archaeological Museum.
Glorious sights that can be seen not only in the city of Volkhov, but also in its surroundings, deserve special attention. Recently, interest in places of military glory has increased. The Leningrad Region is rich in engineering structures, the chronicle of which leads to the distant legendary past.
Excursion bureaus will provide unforgettable trips around the Leningrad region, tell about important historical events, show the city, cultural monuments that are of the greatest interest.