Tutaev: Attractions «Pearls on the Volga»
Tutaev, a small provincial town located on the banks of the Volga 40 km from the center of the Yaroslavl Region, has long been accustomed to be one of the 12 cities of the Golden Ring of Russia, a famous tourist route. Tutaev is famous for its interesting history, picturesque views and unique monuments of Russian architecture, to which thousands of people yearn to look at.
A little bit about Tutaev
The city of Tutaev of the Yaroslavl region really has a special history, which began in the XVIII century. The most interesting thing is that at that time there was no Tutaev in the place of the modern city. In the XVIII century in this area on the opposite banks of the Volga River, two separate settlements barely started their existence — the city of Romanov and the city of Borisoglebsk. For many years, each of them lived a separate life, but in 1822, Emperor Alexander I issued a decree according to which two cities united into one, and a new settlement was formed — Romanov-Borisoglebsk. Later, at the beginning of the 20th century, Romanov-Borisoglebsk was renamed Tutaev — by the name of one of the Red Army men who lived in the city for a long time and died during the Civil War at the hands of the White Guards.
In 2016, deputies of the Yaroslavl region brought up for discussion the question of returning the former name to the city of Tutaev. After long debates, the decision to rename was made in favor of the historical name, and the city again became known as Romanov-Borisoglebsk.
However, the tourists and the inhabitants of the town themselves are not yet accustomed to such changes, so they are accustomed to using the old “Soviet” name.
To this day, the city is located immediately on the two banks of the Volga, and in memory of the cities that gave life to the modern Tutaev, the left-bank and right-bank regions are called the Romanov and Borisoglebsk sides, respectively. It is noteworthy that the two parts of the city are still not interconnected by a bridge, and to get from one coast to another, residents and guests of Tutaev have to use the ferry in the old manner.
The small Volga town is distinguished by the amazing beauty of temple architecture. The best examples of Russian architecture are picturesquely located on the banks of the great river, for which the city is respectfully called the “pearl on the Volga”. What sights of Tutaev should a tourist see?
In the city of churches
As already mentioned, the city is primarily famous for its abundance of ancient, but at the same time well-preserved architectural monuments — churches, temples and cathedrals. In total, there are 9 buildings of this kind on the small territory of Tutaev, the oldest of which date back to the middle of the 17th century. Among them:
- The Church of the Annunciation, built back in 1660, is located on the Borisoglebskaya side. This is a snow-white building with characteristic elements of Moscow architecture of the XVII century. The parish is still functioning. The main temple shrines are the Don Icon of the Mother of God and the silver cross with the relics of the saints.
- Resurrection Cathedral is also located in the Borisoglebsky side, or rather, on the main square of this district. The first building of the temple was built in 1658, but very soon it began to collapse, and in its place the best masters of Yaroslavl built a new temple. The church had a very elegant and solemn look, which has been preserved to this day. Of particular value are ancient frescoes and icons. One of the icons dates from the 15th century.
- The Church of the Intercession is one of the oldest architectural monuments of the city (1654). Despite its modest facade, the temple is rightfully one of the best examples of old Russian architecture. On its walls, the painting of the 17th century is still preserved.
- Holy Cross Cathedral, located in the Romanov side, was built in 1658. He is still surrounded by ramparts, once served as a defense of the city of Romanov from enemy raids. This is a monumental building with large domes and rich interior painting, which is of particular interest to art historians.
- Kazan Transfiguration Church, located on the left bank of the Volga, is considered one of the symbols of Tutaev. This is an architectural ensemble consisting of two churches. But you will not find 2 separate buildings here: the temple has a stepped construction and is divided into lower and upper parts (the winter temple of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God and the summer church of the Transfiguration). Kazan Transfiguration Church is the main architectural landmark of the Romanov side of the city of Tutaev, Yaroslavl Region.
- Ascension Church was built on the site of an old wooden church at the end of the XVIII century. Thanks to the regular donations of the Romanov merchants, the new stone church was constantly improved and, if necessary, restored, therefore it has reached our days practically in its original form. Many rare and therefore especially valuable icons are kept here that anyone can look at: today the temple is open and open to visitors.
The city of Tutaev has retained unique samples of Russian architecture, which you definitely need to see with your own eyes. Small old churches and large solemn cathedrals, located on both sides of the Volga River, leave an indelible impression of themselves.
Museums of Tutaev
If you are visiting the Yaroslavl region and want to go to the city of Tutaev, be sure to take the time to go to the city museums: here you can see really interesting exhibits. Tourists can explore the exhibitions on their own, and can visit the most interesting expositions as part of the excursion group.
The city has a “Romanov-Borisoglebsk Tourism Center”, where any guest of Tutaev can learn everything about excursions and sign up for one or more of them.
Perhaps the most notable exhibition of Tutaev is the Borisoglebskaya side exhibition complex. It includes the museums «Tsar’s Sheep» and «Merchant Vagin’s House». In the exhibition complex you can see several original expositions. Especially noteworthy is the Tsar’s Sheep Museum, dedicated to the symbol of the city — the famous Romanov’s sheep. The name of the exhibition is connected with an important historical fact for this region: Peter I once issued a decree according to which a special breed of sheep was raised in the Romanov district.
The wool obtained from these animals is famous for its qualities far beyond the borders of the Yaroslavl region, and it is from this that the best fur products are obtained, which are also exhibits of the Tataev museum.
Here, visitors can see the living «sample» of the revered animal — the Romanov sheep with lambs. By the way, every year a huge number of tourists come to the city to get to the already traditional festival dedicated to the Romanov sheep.
Another museum exhibit, which is undoubtedly noteworthy, is the “Soviet Province”. It appeared after the successful opening in Tutaev Park of the Soviet period. At the exhibition, visitors and residents of the city can plunge deeply into the atmosphere of Soviet years. For the older generation, this will be a great excuse for nostalgia, and those who are younger will better understand what our country once was and in what conditions our mothers, fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers lived. The exposition is designed to trifles: here, for example, you can visit the «Khrushchev» or go to the store, decorated according to all the «rules» of the USSR.
It was the opening of this exhibition that gave a new impetus to the development of tourism in Tutaev and made it possible to attract a large flow of tourists, including foreign ones. A great addition to visiting the exposition will be a walk through the Park of the Soviet period, of which the collection of samples of the domestic auto industry of those years is a special pride.
In Tutaev there is also the only museum of the provincial bank of its kind — “Dom na Novinskaya”. There are no museums on a similar subject in any city of our huge country. Here you can learn everything about the life of the provincial bourgeoisie, visiting the exhibition dedicated to the work of the bank and the life of its employees. In addition, the museum building itself belongs to the monuments of architecture, as it was built in the late XIX century.
Tutaev is one of those cities where measured provincial life causes not boredom and gloom, but charms and pacifies. Amazing ancient architecture, magnificent landscapes and hospitable citizens — this is what you should definitely visit the cozy Volga town.