Sights of Plyos, which must be visited
The small town of Plyos is located in the Ivanovo region on the banks of the Volga. It was built in the XV century. — in 1410 (albeit, references to buildings in these places are found in the 12th century chronicles) and in many respects retained their original natural and historical appearance.
Here you can see a lot of ancient churches and ancient buildings, and numerous museums tell about the history of the city and the crafts that are widespread in it. There are modern monuments that surprise tourists with their original idea, elegant performance. So, how to make a route around the city in order not to miss anything? We will try to help you with this!
Attraction for visitors
Plyos is a tourist center of the Ivanovo region. Every year, especially in the summer, a lot of people come here to plunge into history and feel like a resident of the XIX century Russian province, as well as admire the beautiful Volga landscapes. Even in one day in Ples, one can see many interesting things.
The most famous sights:
- Museum of Art I.I. Levitan;
- Mount Levitan, the Resurrection Church and the Poklonny cross on it;
- Cathedral Mountain (Liberty);
- Assumption Cathedral;
- Varvarinskaya church;
- Museum of Landscape Art;
- The museum called «art crafts Ivanovo region»;
- Museum of the Old Russian family;
- Wedding museum;
- Trinity and Vvedenskaya churches;
- monument to the founder Plyos Vasily I;
- sculpture cat;
- Sculpture Summer Residency;
- Fortress Shaft;
- love tree.
Of course, this is not all that Plesos is famous for.
Museums and their interesting expositions
This city is best known for being the artist Isaac Levitan who visited and worked here. The landscapes in Ples and its surroundings became the theme of his paintings. A museum dedicated to the artist was opened in 1972 in the former home of the merchant Solodovnikov, with whom Levitan stopped when he arrived in Plyos. Now here are collected the originals of many of his paintings and paintings of his friends, with whom he visited the city: A. Stepanova and S. Kuvshinnikova. Also exhibited works of other famous painters: V. Polenov, I. Shishkin, A. Savrasov.
This institution is part of the reserve (historical, architectural and artistic), along with the museum of landscape and «Art crafts of the Ivanovo region.» All of them are devoted to art, common in Plyos and the region as a whole. Museum of Landscape Art — the only institution of a similar theme in the country. It contains paintings of many artists, including modern ones, the collection is constantly updated.
Visitors are told about the history, genres of landscape painting, the creative way of famous artists. Samples of lacquer miniatures, Ivanovo embroidery, linen weaving and jewelry art are exhibited in the Art Crafts Museum.
Also interesting and the museum of the old Russian family. It is a sample of the manor of pre-Petrine times (mainly XII-XIII centuries): household items, clothes, decorations, weapons are exhibited. Here you can work on a loom, a potter’s wheel and other ancient devices and thanks to this you can immerse yourself even more in the atmosphere of that era.
The wedding museum in Plyos is because this city has always been distinguished by special wedding traditions. The museum was opened in the house of a rich pharmacist, who arranged especially magnificent ceremonies to his daughters. Now there are objects of the interior that were included in the dowry of local girls, and on excursions they tell about traditions and history of interesting weddings (including tricks for making profitable marriages).
Churches and temples
The main attractions in Ples are still mostly religious institutions. The most famous Resurrection Church of the XVII century. on the mountain of Levitan. It is very similar to the Peter and Paul Church depicted in the painting Above Eternal Peace, which burned down in 1903.
When the reserve was founded in 1982, people noticed that there was no church on the mountain and, in order to recreate the landscape seen in the painting, they transported a similar village from Bilyukovo to the Ivanovo region. This is a sample of the old Russian wooden architecture — the building of the Kletsky type with a wedge-shaped roof and an onion dome. Not far from it was put a bow to the cross, which come to worship the faithful. To the church on the mountain leads a wooden staircase, which is called the path of Levitan.
Assumption Cathedral — the most ancient temple in Ples, located on the Cathedral Hill. Built at the end of the XVII century. (1699) in the style of Moscow Baroque — single-domed church, which, together with the bell tower, narrows from the lower tiers to the upper, due to which it looks particularly elegant. The cathedral itself, its hipped bell tower and gate remained in its original form, and the whole complex can be seen only in Levitan’s Silent Monastery.
Also, the city boasts a graceful white-stone church of Varvara. It was built at the beginning of the XIX century. on the place of more ancient, wooden. Her style is classic. The church itself is distinguished by severity and austerity, and the bell tower is quite lush, with columns and arches. Levitan also wrote this church, the picture of the “Golden Plyos” is dedicated to her.
The Church of the Life-Giving Trinity and the Entry into the Temple of the Most Holy Theotokos is an ensemble that, in fact, is the gateway to the entrance to the city from Ivanovo. They are located near the bus station. The Trinity Church is the first stone in these places, intended for summer services, Vvedenskaya — warmed, “winter”, used for worship in the cold season.
Monuments and other urban beauty
In Ples, you can see many modern sights, in particular the abundance of monuments. For example, a monument to Prince Vasily I (the son of Dmitry Donskoy), who founded this city, is popular. Escaping from the persecution of the Tatar Khan, he found himself in these parts and ordered to build on the mountain an outpost, which was later transformed into Plyos.
The monument was erected in 1910, to the 500th anniversary of the city, and is a bust of a bearded prince in a hat and fur coat on an obelisk-pedestal made of black marble. He stands in the historic center on the Cathedral Mount.
Other famous city sights:
- Dachnitsa. The sculpture was made for the 600th anniversary of the city on the Levitan Mountain, next to the museum of landscape. Depicts a girl who sits on a bench and admires the Volga through the easel. If you stand next to it, the landscape is clearly visible through the frame of the easel. Her prototype is a friend of Levitan S. Kuvshinnikova, with whom he came to Plyos.
- Monument cat on the waterfront. The prototype served as a cat Mucha artist V. Panchenko, who lived near the pier. The monument is made of concrete for durability. The cat has a very expressive face and eyes. According to local beliefs, ironing her — fortunately. There is also a chest next to it, where you need to put a coin for good luck. Tourists who come to the city, fill it well.
- Monuments to artist I. Levitan. Ples is inextricably linked with his name, so it is here that his memory is immortalized. The most famous stands on the eponymous mountain. Levitan is depicted in the process of drawing at the easel, it seems alive from a distance. Another monument — the bust — is located next to the house-museum.
- Fortress Shaft. These are remnants of the fortress wall and moat, which in 1410 were made to protect the settlement from enemies.
There are interesting natural sights that should also be visited in order to get impressions:
- Levitan and Cathedral Mountains. In addition to the churches, museums and monuments located on them, they are of interest simply as places for walking. They offer magnificent views of the city and the Volga. Also, Levitan’s mountain is famous for its birch grove, which is depicted in the paintings of the artist.
- Tree of Love — 2 pines, fused between a branch. They became a symbol of fulfillment of desires for local residents: according to beliefs, in order for the cherished dream to come true, a colored ribbon should be tied to this thread. Accordingly, both the branch and the main pines are all tied with bows. Including they are also actively decorated by tourists visiting Ples.
Vacationers from the Ivanovo region, and from many other regions come to this small town. If you do not go to museums, local attractions can be viewed in one day, but this does not make Plyos less interesting. He has kept many historical buildings, and a simple walk through it becomes a journey through time.