Sights of cozy cities of Lithuania
The independent sovereign state of Lithuania is located on the Baltic coast, in northern Europe. Every year the Republic of Lithuania is gaining more and more popularity among tourists from different countries, lovers of history and antiquities. Here you can walk through the picturesque streets and see the unique monuments of architecture, swim in the sea and soak up the beautiful sandy beaches, visit the most interesting and unusual museums of the world and other attractions. In order to have time to explore the best places in Lithuania for a few days, it is worth going there by car, after making a convenient route.
Starting point — Vilnius city
So, if you go to Lithuania by car, first of all you should visit the center of the Republic of Lithuania — the capital of the country, Vilnius, which is considered one of the largest historical and cultural centers of Europe.
In this city there is a whole complex of architectural sights, forming a large area — the Old Town.
This part of Vilnius has a great historical value, since it has been forming for more than one century and has preserved in itself samples of the most different architectural styles.
Old Town is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. What places do you need to see here?
- Gediminas Tower. This monumental structure was once part of the fortifications, which served as protection against enemy raids. The fortress itself did not survive, but even the only tower that remained from it, named after the Lithuanian prince Gedimin, is already impressive and makes you think about the scale of the once destroyed structure. In the tower, everyone can visit the exhibition dedicated to the history of the city.
- Gate Aushros. This landmark has long been given the status of the symbol of Vilnius. The gate, built at the beginning of the 16th century, is not only a striking example of Renaissance architecture, but is also considered one of the main Catholic shrines in all of Lithuania: it is here that Catholic pilgrims aspire to see the highly-read icon of the Vilnius Madonna. The dimensions of the Aušros are impressive: this is a monumental building the height of a three-story house. On one side, the gates are connected to a partially preserved defensive wall.
- The Church of St. Theresa is located near the gates of Aušros. This is a Roman Catholic temple, which belongs to the architecture of the early Baroque. It was built in the middle of the 17th century, but due to numerous destruction, the original appearance of the church was greatly changed. Nevertheless, the building retained the characteristic features of the Baroque style.
- Catholic church of St. Anne. The history of this place began at the end of the XIV century. For many centuries, the temple was not once subjected to destruction, but each time it was restored, and today it still stands in the center of the Old City, being a monument of Gothic architecture of world importance. The facade of the building is so unique that there is no one like it not only in Lithuania, but in all of Eastern Europe.
Of course, this is not all the attractions of Vilnius. Wandering through the Old Town, tourists can get to the cozy, isolated district of Uzupis, so beloved by many visitors to the city, or they can completely change direction and visit other parts of Vilnius that are equally rich in interesting places.
By car from the capital of Lithuania, you can go on 2 different routes.
- The first of them passes through the cities of Kernavė, Trakai, Birštonas and Druskininkai.
- The second one involves visiting Trakai, Kaunas, Klaipeda, Palanga and the Curonian Spit.
Route number 1: from Kernave to Druskininkai
The first point of the tourist path will be the city of Kernave, located 35 km from the Lithuanian capital. The huge historical, archaeological and cultural value of this place regularly attracts large streams of scientists and tourists. Kernave is not just a city. It is a State Reserve, the first capital of Lithuania and the only settlement in the Baltics with a unique historical monument — a complex of 5 sites.
Settlements are a special type of settlements that began to form in the first centuries of our era.
Fragments of ancient settlements dating back to the 10th century have been preserved in Kernavė. You can also look at amazing finds in the Kernava Museum of History and Archeology.
Then you can go sightseeing the city of Trakai. Trakai is especially good in summer due to the huge number of lakes and picturesque hills framed by dense green trees. Particularly noteworthy is the Trakai Castle, a unique building located on an island not far from the city itself. Once it served as an indestructible defensive structure, and today the Trakai Historical Museum is located here, various concerts and speeches on historical themes are held.
The next point on this route will be Birštonas — a quiet and cozy resort city. Tourists seek to visit these places first of all for the sake of numerous therapeutic mud and mineral springs. They often come here with their entire families to improve their health and actively relax away from the noisy cities. There is something to do in winter and summer. In the warm season tourists are offered to ride horses, take a ride on a balloon and appreciate the water activities, and in winter you can go to the ski resort.
Another well-known Lithuanian health resort is the city of Druskininkai, which houses a large number of sanatoriums and boarding houses. In these institutions, the most serious diseases are successfully treated, and the climate of Druskininkai itself contributes to a healthy body. Like in Birštonas, mineral and mud springs have been operating here for many years.
Tourists who choose this route, note that they manage to appreciate all types of recreation offered by the Lithuanian tourism industry. On this way you can see the best sights of the country, and enjoy the wonderful scenery, and improve your health in the famous health resorts of the country.
Route 2: from Trakai to the Curonian Spit
After seeing the sights of Vilnius and Trakai, many Lithuanian guests go to one of the largest Lithuanian cities — Kaunas.
Kaunas has for many years been rightfully considered the cultural capital of the country: here you can see not only a huge number of architectural monuments from different eras, but also visit various theaters, art and historical museums.
Tourists should definitely look at the XIII century Kaunas Castle, Peter and Paul Cathedral, the Palace of Princes Masalsky and the special pride of the city residents — the Statue of Liberty, installed on the Unity Square.
Klaipeda is a seaside resort city with a pleasant mild climate and a mass of original museum exhibitions. Klaipeda is famous primarily for beach holidays, and at the end of July and beginning of August the influx of tourists is especially great here: it was at this time that the sea festival was widely celebrated in the city. These days in Klaipeda you can visit interesting exhibitions, concerts and see maritime competitions.
The city of Palanga is another popular resort area of Lithuania, which is famous for its mineral waters and curative mud, beautiful sandy beaches, and clean sea air. Palanga is equipped for tourists as much as possible: a huge number of hotels and resorts have been built here, all the beaches are equipped with cabins, a bicycle path has been created along the coast. In between the medical procedures, tourists can go on one of the many excursions in the vicinity of Klaipeda.
Not far from the city there is a unique natural landmark — the Curonian Spit. It looks like a narrow strip of land 4 km long dividing the Baltic Sea and the Curonian Lagoon. The Curonian Spit is famous for the diversity of natural landscapes and the abundance of a wide variety of animal, bird and plant species, including endangered ones. A national park has been created on the territory of the Curonian Spit.
Lithuania is one of the most popular and inexpensive tourist destinations all over the world. Many of those who have already visited here are planning to return here again to continue their acquaintance with this amazingly beautiful and interesting country.