Feast of the Intercession of the Virgin: folk traditions and signs
Orthodox holidays are closely intertwined with folk traditions. In ancient times, the Pokrov was considered a meeting of winter and autumn, a time when nature falls asleep. In this regard, there are many signs and traditions that are relevant to this day.
In the Orthodox world, the celebration of the Intercession of the Virgin is associated with the miraculous appearance of Our Lady, who, together with the besieged residents of Constantinople, prayed in the temple. At the end of the prayer, she removed the veil from her head and spread it over the believers. Protecting the Higher Forces helped all those present save lives and become convinced of the great power of the Lord.
People signs on Pokrov
- Cranes flying away for a holiday promise a quick approaching frosty winter.
- Oak and birch with leaves fallen to Pokrovu promise a mild winter. If the leaves are left, then it is expected to be a harsh winter with blizzards and winds.
- The snow that fell on the day of the holiday means that it will also be snowing by Dmitriev’s day.
- The snow that fell before the Intercession does not promise a quick winter.
- According to the weather on October 14, the weather was determined for the whole winter.
- A fun holiday promises good grooms to young girls.
- The people believed that it was necessary to warm their home before the Intercession, otherwise the family would be cold all winter.
- According to signs, children who are doused with water from a sieve on the threshold of the house on the day of Intercession are ill less often.
- Hostess for the holiday baked a lot of pancakes. They believed that the more at home a tasty treat, the warmer the winter would be.
- Rain on Pokrov promised the newlyweds a long and happy life.
Folk traditions on Pokrov
The holiday of the Intercession in the old days was the day of weddings. Unmarried girls in the morning went to church, where they offered prayers in front of the image of the Virgin Mary. They put candles and asked for a good groom.
On this day, the hostess tried to appease the brownies, so that the whole winter in the house was cozy and warm. For this, small pancakes were baked, and the first one was divided into equal parts and laid out at the corners. Also, brownies brought mushrooms, collected and dried on the day of the holiday.
For Pokrov our ancestors gathered the last harvest and prepared for the winter. At that time, they stopped driving the cattle to pastures, removed the hives and transferred all the animals to «winter» food.
On Pokrov, they began to heat houses, and for the first fire of the furnaces they used firewood from fruit trees.
According to folk traditions, the girls baked bread on the day of the holiday. During preparation, they thought about being condemned. According to beliefs, the one about whom the girl thinks will definitely become her husband.
The hostesses the day before Pokrov burned old straw mattresses in order to protect the household from damage and the evil eye, and also to get rid of everything old and meet the winter in a clean house.
On Pokrov, one must pray before the image of the Virgin for the health of all family members. Believing in signs or not is everyone’s business, but it will be interesting for many people to watch the weather, disprove or confirm the signs and beliefs of many generations. We wish you good luck and happiness, and do not forget to press the buttons and