Feast of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary: traditions, customs and signs
Orthodox around the world celebrate the Protection of the Mother of God festive service. In the people on this day, many familiar things are completely changed, and failure to comply with certain rules can lead to bad consequences.
The feast of the Protection of the Virgin is celebrated on October 14 annually. Orthodox celebrate it as a great church holiday and pray for the welfare in the family, the health of children and marital happiness.
The Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos is the day when, according to tradition, the Mother of God appeared to Andrew the Fool. During the siege of Constantinople, the Virgin Mary came to the temple for the night prayer and covered the worshipers with her handkerchief. This phenomenon was a symbol of the protection of the inhabitants of Constantinople from the enemy.
Among the people, the feast of the Intercession is considered to be a very important and strong day, about which there will be many signs, superstitions and customs.
People signs on Pokrov
Pokrovsky signs about the weather and the complexity of the coming year were collected and passed down from generation to generation. We have reached the most proven and truthful of them:
- If the trees by October 14 will drop all the foliage, then the year will be warm, and if not, then the winter must wait very frosty.
- If the first snow falls on Pokrov, then the arrival of winter will have to wait a very long time.
- The Day of Intercession is considered to determine the weather for the whole year: what the weather will be on this holiday will remain the same throughout the next year.
- To feed stray animals on this day is considered to be a very good sign that attracts health and happiness to the house.
- Feed a stray dog in Pokrov — get rid of the disease.
Pokrovsk rites and customs for October 14
- On the day of the Intercession, it is customary among the people to have fun and smile at strangers: it is believed that the girl who spends this day in fun will soon meet a good groom and get married successfully.
- In order to save children from diseases, ailments and the evil eye, they were put on the cover beyond the threshold and poured water through a large sieve.
- It is believed that a girl who wants to get married should bake bread, put it on the window and wait: the aroma of freshly baked bread should “lure” the groom.
- Also for girls-brides there is a separate omen-ceremony on Pokrov: the bride should take up the new embroidery, thinking about the groom and family life. After she finishes part of the embroidery, you need to look at the stitches: even — family life will be smooth. Confused or uneven — there will be family problems.
- It is a good sign to bake a lot of pancakes on this day and feed a random guest who comes in. Joy and harmony will come to the house.
It is believed that the feast of the Protection of the Virgin is best suited for prayers for the creation of a family and mutual love. On this day, the girls are asking the Mother of God for a wedding ring and marriage with a loved one. Also according to the old tradition, Pokrov is considered the best day for marriage.
About the wedding on Pokrov, as well as about marriage on any other day, a large number of truthful wedding receptions and faithful rites are collected. Together we will hope for a warm winter and many wedding ceremonies on this great holiday. We wish you good luck, delicious pancakes, and do not forget to press the buttons and