Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary: traditions of celebration, signs and customs
On August 28th, in a new style, the Orthodox Church celebrates one of the Great Feasts. This day is not described in the Bible, but this event has become known through the Holy Tradition. The word «assumption» in translation into modern Russian language means «death.»
According to the customs and traditions, it is not forbidden to work on this day, since it is necessary to finish all the work connected with the harvest. However, human behavior must be humble.
You can not eat much, drink alcohol, quarrel and swear.
The great feast of the Assumption of the Most Holy Theotokos is celebrated in August, the 28th, and refers to one of the Twenty Great Feasts of the Orthodox Church. On this day, the Assumption Fast ends, which lasts from 14 to 27 May.
The spiritual significance of the celebration lies in the fact that this day is dedicated to the remembrance of the death of the Mother of God.
The story of the emergence of the feast of the Virgin Mary claims that after the Ascension of the Lord she remained to live with John the Divine, telling the apostles and believers about the wonderful event of the Annunciation, the sinless conception, the birth of Christ and his life.
Once, the Most Holy Theotokos prayed at the tomb of the Lord and saw the Archangel Gabriel at that moment. He informed her that the Lord was ready to receive her into his Kingdom of Heaven.
Immediately after this news, the holy apostles hurriedly went to Jerusalem to bid farewell to her.
There are certain rules for celebrating the Dormition in temples and churches:
- In all the temples during the service life path, deeds and death of the Virgin Mary are remembered. The clergy goes to the shroud with the image of the Virgin Mary lying in the middle of the temple, reads prayers over it, and then carries it around the temple.
- On this day should commemorate all the departed.
- On the day of the holiday, the harvest usually came to an end. It was considered a good sign to bring to the church for liturgy the ears of a new crop. It was believed that the Mother of God would help to keep it safe and sound. Bread from the new crop was sanctified, while it was impossible to drop a single crumb.
There are a number of beliefs about what can and could not be done at home on the Feast of the Assumption:
- On this day, you could begin to pickle mushrooms and cucumbers for the winter.
- It was forbidden to hold a celebration at home in old clothes and especially in tight shoes, as this promised a hard life.
- It was believed that if the day of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary walk barefoot, it can cause an aggravation of the old malady.
It was not forbidden to work on this holiday in order to finish all the work begun as soon as possible.
There are several different prayers that help a person seek help from the Blessed Virgin Mary.
In the old days for the holiday of the Assumption tried to complete all the work in the field. The last sheaf was called «dozhinka.»
He was dressed up in a colorful sundress, with songs carried to the village and placed under the icons.
Complied with such folk customs:
- On this day, it was decided to cook mead, to dance and sing reaping songs.
- After the Assumption, it was possible to go to the forest to pick berries and mushrooms.
- The girls looked after themselves suitors. Matchmakers were sent 2 weeks after August 28.
- Another custom was called “Spokhniki”. People helped to harvest those in need. On the field they consumed consecrated bread and drank it with water. The remains of the water needed to be poured onto the ground, and the bread wrapped in cloth to prevent the crumbs from falling.
The day after the Assumption, Nut is celebrated, or Khlebnyi Spas, which says that the harvest is ending and the time for collecting nuts begins.
The custom has been preserved to this day, when after lunch people gather in the village with a raised icon and go to the field where the prayer to the Virgin Mary is sung. If at this time a strong wind blows on the field, then the weather will be harsh and windy in the fall.
On this day, it is not accepted to eat a lot of food and abuse alcohol. One should honor the memory of the Virgin Mary and behave humbly.
You can send greetings to family and friends.
There are folk signs on the Assumption associated with the weather, healing from ailments and family happiness:
- If after the chants to place the icon at the gate facing the house, it will attract well-being and will contribute to family happiness. If the icon is located in the very center of the courtyard, it will help all family members to heal from all diseases.
- According to another sign, in order to heal from disease, after the chants you need to take off your pectoral cross and put it in holy water. Drops of water that flow from the cross, you need to sprinkle painful places on the body.
- If the weather is fine on August 28, autumn will be muddy and rainy.
- Rainbow on the Assumption — a sign of warm autumn.
- Warm weather on August 28 — to the cool Indian summer.
- Many cobwebs on plants — to the frosty and snowless winter.
- Thick fog on the Assumption — to a good harvest of mushrooms.
- Frost on the Assumption — to a short and frosty autumn.
- Bad weather on August 28 — to the cold winter and rainy summer next year.
This ceremony should begin at midnight, preferably at full moon. After taking a bath, the girl sits at the table and sets a mirror in front of her.
On the sides are set candles, which are brought from the church.
The girl should look in the mirror, comb and say the following words:
After the plot is pronounced, you need to put out the candles and hide them until the feast of the Assumption. Comb placed under the pillow, and in the mirror does not look for three days.
On the day of the Assumption you need to light the candle and let them burn to the end.
In order for the conspiracy prayer to help get rich, we need an icon of the Virgin Mary.
It is in front of her in the temple that you need to read a plot from memory or paper.
It is important to bear in mind that if a person has no family, before the start of the service, it is necessary to put 3 candles at the icon of the Mother of God. If a person is married or married, you need to put 7 candles.
After reading the plot, you need to cross three times, bow as many times and say “Amen.”
To attract the groom, the girl should get up early in the morning, without talking to anyone, wash her face with water, saying the words three times:
The story of one of our readers Alina R .:
Money has always been my main concern. Because of this, I had a bunch of complexes.
I considered myself a failure, problems at work and in my personal life haunted me. However, I decided that I still needed personal help.
Sometimes it seems that the matter is in you, all the failures are only a consequence of bad energy, the evil eye or some other evil force.
But who will help in a difficult life situation, when it seems that all life is rolling down the slope and passing by you. It is difficult to be happy working as a cashier for 26 thousand rubles, when you had to give 11 for renting an apartment.
What was my surprise when my whole life suddenly changed for the better overnight. I could not even imagine that one could earn so much money that at first glance a knickknack could have such an effect.
It all started with the fact that I ordered a personal one.
Read more >>
All information on the site is provided for informational purposes only. Full or partial copying of information from the site without specifying an active link to it is prohibited.