Sign: fern leaves twist to the bottom
For mushroom pickers in the summer there is a beautiful sign: the leaves of a fern twist downwards. The fern is a noticeable plant, its leaves are large, and it is immediately visible in what position they are.
What does this sign mean, is there a scientific rationale behind it and when can it be believed and when not?
Fern — weather predictor
The fern grows in the forest, so mostly mushroom pickers stumble upon it, lovers pick berries, hunters and vacationers. Going so far to nature and relying on a good day, it is very important to understand what the weather will be on the next day or a few hours, so predicting the weather for plants is a real help. The people, watching, have long noticed that the fern is twisting the leaves down — to hot, dry weather.
You can count on a clear sky!
The hydrometeorological center will not replace a fern, but it will give some idea of the coming day. To determine the weather for the long term, it is rather useless, it only works in the near future.
Except for the weather, the behavior of the fern leaves says nothing. The flower is a different matter, but it is a different sign.
The fern can be seen changing the weather in the other direction. If before the folded fern suddenly straightened them — it will rain soon, and if not, then the weather will at least spoil, the sky will be covered with clouds.
Watching the fern from the very early morning does not make sense: it has not yet woken up after a wet, cool night. Let the plant orient and tune in for the next day.
It is best to determine the weather by fern — when the morning dew has dried.
Variants of omens
There are several interpretations of fern folded sheets, however, quite close ones.
- Fern twists leaves — todry day without rain and with scant evening dew.
- Also its leaves curl downwards — to intense heat. The sun will burn, do not forget to wear a hat.
- Fern spun leaves in the evening — night and the next morning will pass without rain. The weather today, as already mentioned, is better determined by fern in the morning.
In the rain the fern leaves will not start to twist in any case, so there is no point in looking at it and trying to understand when the precipitation finally stops.
How it works
The behavior of plants is very closely related to the state of the environment, evolution has forced them to react and adapt to changing conditions. Not adapted — extinct. Therefore, almost all plants are taught to «anticipate» the weather.
It is only necessary to understand what they react to: the change in temperature, humidity, day and night, or at all — the seasons.
From the school course of biology, we can recall the term “nastia” (nastical movements) — movements of parts of plants (leaves, inflorescences, petals) in the form of a reaction to weather conditions, the state of the environment. Photostrokes — movements due to a change in light, for example, the dandelion and sunflower inflorescences closing in the shade, which rotates after the sun; thermonastia — movements from temperature changes, for example, saffron flowers descending to the ground in cold weather; niktinastii — the transition of plants in the «sleep mode» at night.
Ferns adore shady places where evaporation from leaves (and leaves at ferns wide) is smaller and easier to save moisture. As soon as the fern feels dry — he twists the leaves to prevent drying.
Changes in light (in bright sunshine, temperature and evaporation are higher) and humidity of the air tells the fern that it is worth taking care of and reducing the leaf area, twisting them into flyers. A person sees the cloudless sky and the sun without any helpers, but hardly any noticeable dryness of the air.
It is a scientific omen, as you see. But, unfortunately, not absolutely reliable.
When and why omen can lie
Not every fern will tell the truth, it can be easily confused. When should you not rely on your mind?
- Ferns growing in open spaces, which is very unusual for them, adapted to the sun, grow more compact, their leaves are lighter — so they reduced evaporation, and on the coming dry day they will react less sensitively than their forest counterparts. They have already prepared, for what unnecessary movement?
- It is worth a good look at the twisted fern leaf. If it is smaller and more tender than others, perhaps it’s just a young shoot, they all appear in the form of “snails”. In addition, they are twisted upward, while the leaves hidden from the dry day are tucked downwards.
- Indoor varieties of ferns do not believe at all. Not only do they live in the room and tell more about how you drown the batteries and how a humidifier works than what is happening on the street, they are also derived specifically for life on the windowsill and have lost many of the skills of their forest ancestors .
- Garden ferns can still feel good weather, but not every time. The accuracy of their predictions depends on the type and frequency of irrigation. Without watering, they can curl and dry even before the rain, and when it is plentiful, they can not roll the leaves on the hottest day.
- Ferns living close to water will be less likely to feel dry. In a shady ravine is always cool and damp, why worry? To determine the weather, it is better to choose a fern far from streams, wherever there is a sun.
In other cases, the fern is your reliable herald of a great day to unite with nature.
Guess today with the help of the tarot spread "Day map"!
For proper divination: focus on the subconscious and do not think about anything at least 1-2 minutes.