Russian traditional Easter: features of a popularly favorite holiday
Easter is about to come, omens, traditions and customs, which cannot be done — all this needs to be remembered in order not only to celebrate this day, as our ancestors have bequeathed, but also to bring more happiness, good fortune and heavenly grace into your life. And even if you didn’t refuse meat all seven weeks (Sevens) of Great Lent, then you probably bought it on Pure Thursday, thought about the sad and eternal on Good Friday, and on the night of the Resurrection of Christ they prepared to break the ground thoroughly .
Russian Easter traditions and customs
- On Easter night, parishioners gather in the church to devote Easter cakes, Easter eggs, dyed eggs, and baked boiled pork, lard — in general, everything that they plan to treat their relatives this morning.
- Many carry salt with them so that the father sanctifies her too — it is customary to add it to dishes throughout the year. Especially consecrated salt is important if someone is sick in the house, or a small child starts crying long (in this case, the baby’s head is sprinkled with a pinch of salt — they say that you can certainly get rid of the evil eye).
- In the morning, people greet «Christ is Risen!», To which it is necessary to answer «Truly Risen.» However, pranksters-atheists came up with another answer, “Truly a sausage” (after all, from that day fast ends and you can enjoy your favorite meat dishes).
- In the morning you can break the fast, that is, allow yourself any dish that is very soon. Although of course, it’s necessary to keep in mind the sense of proportion so as not to add to the work of the therapist and emergency doctors (who traditionally have a lot of worries on this holiday).
- On this day, publicly rest from work. However, there is no strict church ban on work or household chores.
- Recently, the western tradition of giving a Easter rabbit or bunny (chocolate, toy) figure has passed into our country. This animal symbolizes fertility, but many believe that the Easter Bunny serves as a talisman for attracting money. However, this is not a church tradition at all — rather a comic or semi-childish one.
What not to do?
- Sadness and spoil the mood of relatives, friends. Easter is one of the brightest holidays, so on this day it is better to rejoice. Do you have a holiday? So go to visit, or gather your family and watch a good religious film.
- On Easter night, you should not sleep, because you can oversleep your happiness. It is better to go to church and defend the service there.
- You can not hunt and slaughter livestock. It is believed that animals (both domestic and wild) also celebrate Easter, and they should not be disturbed.
Krashanki and pysanki
- The first product that is eaten from a consecrated basket is considered the egg.
- If there are children in the family, painted eggs (pysankas) are broken not against the table, but against each other. All households disassemble the testicle and take turns striking them against each other. The winner is the one who has a stronger egg than the rest (experienced “Easter eggs” even know special ways of holding eggs so that they remain intact after the strike).
- If you cross a daughter or son with a consecrated egg, give the child a kiss on him, and the most to say, “Nobody jinxes this paint, no one can jinx my blood,” you will protect your child for the whole year.
- The girls on that day threw a red (painted) testicle into the water, and then they washed this water. It was believed that this «procedure» added beauty to their face.
- In no case should the shell of consecrated eggs be thrown in the garbage. If you have a farm, give it to chickens or cattle. If not, bury it under a living tree.
- Children and adults, greeting in church or on the street, can exchange pysanki (dryapankami, krashanki).
- Children’s krashanki traditionally made cherry, with bright patterns. Adult patterns carried a certain meaning. Yes, dots or hops of cones meant development, fertility; flowers — virginity and purity; the dove is a bright soul; mesh — fate; oak — power; pine — health; berries — motherhood; plum — mutual love.
Folk omens and beliefs
- If one of your relatives died on that day, you shouldn’t be severely killed in his soul. It is believed that God showed this man special mercy — the souls of the dead on this bright holiday immediately go to heaven.
- If at night the child says that he saw a light in the earth — ask where exactly, because this is an important sign on wealth. The fact is that on Easter night, the earthly treasures are shown in the form of lights — true, only the most worthy, or pure soul children can see them.
- It started to rain — rye was born (and the spring will be rich in rains). Sunny weather is a sign of a warm, fruitful summer.
- In the villages, people are trying to bring their basket to the house first, before the neighbors. It is believed that who will be faster, and that the harvest will be richer.
- Make a godly cause on this day — you will remove sin from the soul. That is why many people try to serve the poor (or help charitable foundations) precisely in the Holy Week.
- In the morning, look at the cattle. If he sleeps peacefully, this is a good sign. But if he turns, turns in his sleep, there is no place for him in your yard.
Not all of the week before Easter is festive, and many modern Christians generally confine themselves to celebrating the night of Christ’s Resurrection, passing Palm Palm (Sunday) and Pure (Holy, Great) Thursday, and Holy Saturday.
But this is not correct — you should not miss the Easter week, because each of these holidays was created for the gradual purification of the soul, after which at Easter a person leaves the church enlightened, happy and healthy (and bodily too, because most of the diseases are “from nerves”, that is, from the restless soul).
Fast on Passion Week, tell your children about the life of the Son of God, and may the grace of God always shine over your house!
Guess today with the help of the tarot spread "Day map"!
For proper divination: focus on the subconscious and do not think about anything at least 1-2 minutes.