The feast of the Baptism of the Lord is one of the main ones for Christians. Orthodox celebrate it on January 19th.
Long since this holiday has its own traditions and signs. The event that occurred on that day had a special power.
Signs that were noticed that day helped predict future events.
Epiphany customs were collected by many generations. They have reached our days and are very popular today.
This holiday was named after the baptism of Jesus Christ. The Gospel says that John the Baptist, urging people to repent of their sins, baptized people in the waters of the Jordan River.
The Son of God, according to his humility, accepted Baptism, sanctifying the water space with Him. This holiday is also called the feast of the Epiphany.
It is so named because at the baptism of Jesus Christ to the world the Most Holy Trinity appeared: God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.
On the day of the Baptism of the Lord, dream, omen or divination — everything has a special power and often comes true. Like many years ago, they enjoy constant popularity among people.
The most accurate of them are passed down from generation to generation.
Among the most common traditions: water lighting, the ritual of protecting the house from evil spirits, divination to the constricted person, the rite of attracting money and many others. There are things that can not be done on this day.
Orthodox accustomed to celebrate this holiday with family at a modest table. In Baptism for dinner they serve Lenten fast food: uzvar, dumplings with cabbage, fried fish, buckwheat pancakes.
And from honey, rice and raisins, they make it with kochya. According to tradition, the one who was the last to plunge into the ice hole is the first to try the food.
After dinner, all the spoons were collected in one plate, and the bread was put on top, saying: «To have bread born.»
On this day, people went to visit each other with carols and songs.
The main custom of the Baptism of the Lord is the illumination of water. On the morning of January 19, the Orthodox go to church for festive service.
The priest sanctifies the water by placing the cross in a special hole. The sacrament takes place in the courtyard of the temple or on the springs. It is also believed that on this day all the water in the reservoirs also becomes holy.
At Baptism from midnight to midnight, the water has healing properties and keeps them for one year.
Holy water is given to drink to the sick, it is sanctified at home. It still remains a mystery to the scientific world that the water poured on the Baptism of Christ does not deteriorate.
It is odorless and stored for a year or longer. At Baptism, the mistresses sprinkle holy water on their homes to drive out evil spirits from the house and attract the grace of God.
In ancient times, on the eve of baptism in the ice on the river, a large cross was cut open and placed vertically next to the hole. A cross made of ice was decorated with fir branches or doused with beet kvass, which made it red.
At Baptism, everyone is dipped into a hole or specially equipped fonts. This is believed to cleanse many sins.
Both adults and children follow the tradition; you can often see a picture when babies are bathed in a font. Even in the bitter cold there are daredevils who jump into the icy water.
At the same time, women who have periods, are not allowed to plunge into the holy water.
There are folk signs regarding snow. According to ancient beliefs, Epiphany snow has healing properties.
With the help of the hostess, they cleaned the white bedding, and unmarried girls washed them — it was thought that this would add to the attractiveness and beauty.
If you melt Epiphany snow and wash your face with it, you can get rid of cramps and dizziness. The first washed children, and then themselves, saying these words:
- “Strong faith, strong cross, strong and healthy. In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen».
In Russia, the snow on the day of the Epiphany was added to the feed of chickens — so that it would be better carried, and to the horses — so that they would be hardy.
Epiphany water is also used to preserve feminine beauty. To carry out the ritual, you need to bring clean Epiphany snow from the house and melt it. Wash the resulting water and say a conspiracy:
- “Water from nebushka will fix everything. And to me (name) of beauty on a white face will add. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen».
Traditionally, the baptism of the rite of cleansing the house of negative energy. The dwelling was ventilated, and salt was scattered in the corners — an insurmountable barrier to evil forces.
In each room, lit church candles and closely followed the fire. If the light was even and pure, it indicated that there was peace and tranquility in the monastery.
Blinking and fumes from the light — evidence that the house is not all right.
That evening, the people, returning from the church service, put crosses over all the doors and windows in the house with chalk. If the dwelling was not protected by a cross in time, evil spirits could get into it.
It was possible to get rid of them like this:
- 1. A knot was found in the floor of the house or, if the floor was not wooden, they would draw it with chalk.
- 2. An unmarked finger of the right hand encircled the knot in a triangle.
- 3. After they got up on his left foot and said: “Christ is risen, and not you, demon. Amen».
In ancient times, a rite with coins that served as talismans was very popular. On the evening of Epiphany iron money was put in a pot and they put it on the table.
After that, they started the dinner with three spoons of kutya — a traditional dish on a festive table. When all the family members tasted the treat, they had to take a coin and put it under their plate. In a whisper, they said 3 times a conspiracy to add money:
- «To make money, bless my luck.»
After dinner, the coin was transferred to the wallet and carried with them for a year. It was believed that she would bring prosperity and well-being into the house.
In no case should such a talisman be thrown away.
On Epiphany evening, unmarried girls guessed like this:
- 1. It was necessary to go out.
- 2. If the first passer-by whom she meets is an elderly person or a child, then marriage will not happen soon.
- 3. If you meet a young man, it is likely that the wedding will be this year.
At Baptism was a special kind of fortune telling — on the couture. Its essence was that the girls, taking with them a plate with hot kutya and covered it with a towel or apron, ran into the street.
They treated the first man they met with a bit of a bit and asked his name. As the name of the person met, they will call the husband.
On Epiphany evening, the girls went to the church and listened. If the sound of a bell or church choir was heard, it promised that there would be love soon.
If the thud is to trouble.
One of the most popular divination for unmarried girls was throwing a shoe. The girls went outside and threw shoes with his left foot over his shoulder.
In which direction pointed the nose of the shoe — from there and you need to wait for the future groom.
Our ancestors watched the weather. She was judged on how the next year will be formed. If at Baptism:
- Trees in hoarfrost, then spring winter wheat should be sown on the same day of the week. Harvest get rich.
- Blizzard — the weather will be bad until Shrovetide.
- Severe frost and clear — to drought and crop failure.
- Starry night — there will be a lot of berries and nuts.
- It is snowing heavily — to a bountiful harvest.
- There is a full moon in the sky — there will be a flood in the spring.
- The hostess went for water and the snow began — the year will be fertile.
- At the Baptism had a new moon — watched the weather in the next 3 days. A clear day promised frosty and sunny weather until February. Snow promised blizzards before the end of the month. The rain foreshadowed the thaw.
- Many dogs bark — to a lot of game and animals in the forest.
- The stars shine brightly — spring will start early, and summer will be hot and dry
It is believed that the proposal to marry on January 19 is a guarantee of a happy and long family life. On this day, the mothers of the bride and groom asked God to reward the couple with strong and healthy children, sewed loot for them.
Born babies were baptized in these clothes.
Dreams on the night of Epiphany were always considered prophetic, and the predictions were the most accurate:
- According to the general rules, dreams in soft shades and light colors are symbols of quick happiness and goodness.
- Turbid water, mountains, dark sky promised problems and diseases. If people are scurrying around, there will be unpleasant troubles.
- The mood of sleep determines whether the year will be successful or not.
- For women to see their pregnancy in a dream — it means a quick addition to reality.
Believers are dreams January 18-19 to 5 am. It is important to consider the phase of the moon.
Full moon sleep and the third lunar day come true most often.
No less important is the day of the week. Dreams on Friday or Wednesday are usually performed.
In addition to signs and superstitions, there are other beliefs:
- 1. On the night of Baptism, the heavens open, so prayer and desire will be heard by God.
- 2. You must come to the service, and not come on foot.
- 3. If you baptize a child on January 19, John the Baptist himself will be at the rite. If you buy a cross, the guardian angel will rejoice. People baptized on this day are happy in life and carry with them a portion of the grace of God.
- 4. It is believed that if the birthday falls on January 19, then the person will be under God’s patronage.
There are special superstitions that suggest that you should not do baptism:
- On a holiday you do not need to cry, otherwise the whole year will pass in tears.
- You should not borrow money, otherwise you will have to give many times more.
- On the eve of the Epiphany and on the feast itself it is impossible to give matches, money, bread from home. Happiness and luck can go with them.
- In Baptism, after sunset, they do not cut an uncooked loaf of bread, otherwise the grandchildren will live in poverty.
- On a holiday you can not talk about someone bad, swear. It will bring trouble.
- On this day, it is forbidden to leave shoes outside the door From this you can get sick.
It is also not recommended to cut hair and nails, you can «cut off your fate.»
The story of one of our readers Alina R .:
Money has always been my main concern. Because of this, I had a bunch of complexes. I considered myself a failure, problems at work and in my personal life haunted me.
However, I decided that I still needed personal help. Sometimes it seems that the matter is in you, all the failures are only a consequence of bad energy, the evil eye or some other evil force.
But who will help in a difficult life situation, when it seems that all life is rolling down the slope and passing by you. It is difficult to be happy working as a cashier for 26 thousand rubles, when you had to give 11 for renting an apartment.
What was my surprise when my whole life suddenly changed for the better overnight. I could not even imagine that one could earn so much money that at first glance a knickknack could have such an effect.
It all started with the fact that I ordered a personal one.