Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos: Customs and Signs
Every year, on April 7, Orthodox Christians celebrate the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos. This is an important and significant holiday, in which you can change your life through prayers.
The Annunciation of the Virgin, as is known, is considered to be a landmark holiday, which is dedicated to the number of the Twenty Great Celebrations. According to the Bible, on this day the archangel Gabriel appeared to the God-pleasing Virgin Mary with wonderful news that the prophecy about the appearance of the Son of God was destined to come true. This holiday is considered great because it foreshadows the birth of the Messiah and the salvation of all mankind, the cleansing from sin and its consequences. But that’s not all.
On the day of the Annunciation, it is necessary to observe church traditions and customs, offer prayers to the Mother of God and the Lord, as well as be attentive to signs.
The customs of the Annunciation
In the temples on the day of the Annunciation they will hold solemn liturgies announcing the gospel to the Christian world. April 7 is the last day of Lent. Usually, in honor of the holiday, the Church permits to eat fish dishes, however, this year the Annunciation coincides with Great Saturday, when it is necessary to observe especially strict austerity, therefore there will be no relaxation.
According to centuries-old customs, on April 7 it is customary to postpone any hard work, not to start cleaning, not to do handicrafts and other things that can distract from the ascension of prayers and the glorification of the Virgin Mary. This is the time of healing the soul, its release from the negative.
The dove is the festive attribute of the Great Feast — God’s messenger of the good news.
According to folk customs, the night before the Annunciation is usually held in good thoughts. Our ancestors sacrificed their sleep to offer as many prayers of thanks to the Lord as possible. The custom of making fires was considered the culmination of the festival.
According to beliefs, on this day everything evil burns in fire, including setbacks, sufferings and sins.
From the temples you must bring a prosphora — lean bread. It should be divided between all households and tasted in order to comprehend the mystery of God. It is also necessary to give up any evil, be responsive to the needs of your neighbor and recite prayers as often as possible.
It is believed that on this day Heaven is open and heed every word spoken, so you can not swear, swear and complain about life.
Signs on the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos
April 7 is worth remembering signs that appeared in antiquity. They will help to look into the future, prevent critical mistakes and change life for the better.
- On the day of the Annunciation, “the bird doesn’t nest, the girl does not weave a braid”. All life on Earth seeks unity with the Lord, therefore only spiritual work is encouraged. This day is intended for contemplation, prayers, reflections on its purpose.
- It is believed that if Blagovest comb or cut their hair, you can shorten your life, deprive yourself of health and marital happiness.
- The day of the week on which the Annunciation falls is considered unsuccessful. During the whole year, it is impossible to plan important affairs and make fateful decisions. But the next day after the celebration is considered the most successful.
- In the Annunciation of the Virgin can not burn candles. According to legends, on April 7 an angel comes to every house, which brings with it happiness and prosperity, but a bright light can frighten him off.
- On this day, you need to borrow something from another person for happiness.
- Refried salt on the Blagovest — a talisman that attracts health to life. If you properly prepare the Annunciation salt, then it can heal even a seriously ill person.
The Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos is a wonderful holiday on which you can ask the Lord and the Mother of God for protection, help and protection. Any prayer, uttered from a pure heart, devoid of greed and evil, will surely find a response in Heaven. We wish you peace in the soul. take care of yourself and don’t forget to press the buttons and