Protestants, Gugents, Orthodox and Catholics — what is the difference
I travel a lot, and not necessarily in foreign countries. Sometimes I see a temple in an unfamiliar city and I start to ask myself almost the Hamlet question: enter or not enter? Would it not be a sin if I am Orthodox, and the church is Catholic, if not Protestant?
In the end, I asked my confessor, and then decided and crossed the threshold of several such temples, and even talked there with the servants and priests. It turned out that even though religious disputes (for example, described in the novel “Queen Margot”) have already subsided, the churches really have many differences. And what …
Milestones of the division of the Christian church
- 1054 year. The united church (the Ecumenical) split into two branches. In Greece, they began to preach Orthodoxy, and in Rome — Catholicism.
- In the 16-17 centuries there was a so-called reformation. Some of the faiths openly protested against some of the innovations of the Pope in particular and the tenets of faith in general. They began to be called Protestants.
The so-called Church of the Western Rite.
- Their head is the Pope. Their church is one.
- Priests (only men) do not marry, they devote their entire lives only to serving the Lord. Beards are traditionally not worn.
- Condemns homosexual relationships.
- In this church there are monasteries and monastic orders.
- Baptized children from infancy.
- Baptized: right to left.
- They confess to a priest, believing that this should be done at least once a year.
- Revere saints, icons, relics of the righteous.
- Believe in heaven, hell and purgatory.
Church of the Eastern Rite.
- The church is divided into local churches, each of which has its own head (patriarch).
- Priests (these are only men) can create families. Their task is to be an example for the parishioners. An Orthodox priest can be distinguished by a beard (although in our day it will not necessarily be long).
- Any manifestation of homosexuality (as well as various sexual experiments in a bisexual couple) is considered a sin.
- There are monasteries too (the so-called black clergy — there is white too, these are priests serving in churches who can get married).
- The rite of baptism can be performed from birth.
- Baptized: from left to right.
- The sacrament of confession is like a Catholic.
- Worship the relics of saints, icons, pray to saints, martyrs, the righteous.
- Believe in heaven and hell.
Interestingly, in Russia Orthodoxy is also practiced by the so-called Old Believers (the so-called Old Orthodox). Their current arose as a result of a split in the Russian church (1650-60), during which Christians, who had become such during the Baptism of Russia, did not want to put up with some reforms of Patriarch Nikon (and in particular, changes in the Service of God).
Their churches have their own rules — for example, unlike the Orthodox, Old Believers are baptized with only two fingers. How does the “official” church relate to them? The answer will give the father:
Will they put you in such a church? Old Believers are very picky about strangers.
Somewhere they are denied to everyone indiscriminately, but somewhere they are only allowed to see, and even then a man wears a beard, and a woman puts on a long dress with sleeves (open knees and armpits, as well as women’s shorts and pants, these people do not respect).
Protestants (they are Huguenots, Lutherans)
Called Lutherans after the preacher and reformer Martin luther, who wants to carry out only a few reforms, making the church less luxuriant and closer to the people, but becoming the founder of a whole religious movement.
Where did the word «the Huguenots«? Historians believe that most likely, this is a distorted German «eidgenossen», that is, «ally».
At one time they were considered schismatics and heretics, but now this is one of the “official visions” of Christianity. In some countries, it is the dominant religion.
Protestants include younger churches that are considered sects in some countries: Baptists, Pentecostals, Adventists.
- They prefer the centralization of their churches (Protestant communities are autonomous, there is no common leader who would unite everyone). One head of the church is not here. Constant authority for all Protestants without exception remains only Jesus.
- Priests can marry and have children. They shave their beards. Over the past twenty years, even women have become Protestant priests (for example: Rusudan Gotsiridze, Georgia, Evangelical Baptist Church).
- Even the representative of a sexual minority can become a priest (example: lesbian Rebecca Tudor, Sweden, Lutheran Church). Churches in some countries (America, Norway) began to marry same-sex couples.
- There is no monasticism in this church.
- Here they consider that it is worthwhile to choose faith and be baptized only in adulthood (and the godparents rarely take it).
- Generally do not make the sign of the cross, believing: the Lord does not require it.
- In order to confess, the Protestants do not seek a «mediator» by delegating their own sins directly to the Lord.
- They do not recognize saints and images, even the cross is very rare. They also do not recognize the sacred Tradition (works of spiritual fathers and other information about faith, not related to the Holy Scripture).
- Believe in the Last Judgment.
- Not like everyone else: Protestants reject the cult of the Virgin Mary; they accept only two Christian sacraments (communion and baptism, not in every church school), refusing repentance, anointing, priesthood, and everything else. In this church do not pray for the deceased. They do not have a special form of worship, as well as a special type of bread (unleavened bread) for the sacrament. Can themselves interpret the Holy Scriptures.
Well, finally, we publish the answer “first-hand” about whether we can enter unfamiliar temples abroad, and how to react if a tourist has entered your church, and you suddenly saw that he was not baptized as everything. Father answers:
If you prefer a more detailed interpretation of the Holy Scriptures, we offer another video. Here the father will tell how true Orthodox should relate to each other, supporting their words with Christ’s parables. You will not regret viewing, this holy father says so easily and sincerely:
Guess today with the help of the tarot spread "Day map"!
For proper divination: focus on the subconscious and do not think about anything at least 1-2 minutes.