What is a post and how to properly comply with it
In order to purify their souls and get closer to God, believers hold fast. According to the Bible, Jesus spent 40 days in the desert, during which he limited himself to food and prayed.
His followers began to imitate him, because if the sinless Christ considered it necessary to refrain from eating and to direct his efforts towards spiritual development, then all the more sinful Christians need it.
After a series of negative events that occurred in my life, I even more believed in God, because it was the prayers that helped me deal with them. In order to atone for my sins and come closer to the Most High, I decided to fast.
In this article I will tell you how to comply with the post and what are its basic principles.
The rules of the post according to the Typicon
In the Christian church, fasting is important, because its observance gives a person spiritual and physical cleansing, complete submission of the body to the spirit, and teaches to deal with one of the sinful attachments — gluttony. There are 4 long periods in a year when it is necessary to show abstinence in food:
- Advent — lasts 40 days.
- Great fasting before Easter is 7 weeks.
- Petrov Post or Apostolic — lasts 8-42 days, depending on the start date, but always ends on July 12.
- Assumption post before the celebration of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary — it must be kept for 2 weeks.
The most strict and important is Lent, to withstand that not every person can. Christian believers gradually prepare their bodies and minds to withstand this difficult test, and pay tribute to the Lord, receiving in return forgiveness of sins and spiritual cleansing. According to the Typicon, Jesus completely refrained from food and water, but in order to achieve the same laymen, one should go through 6 steps that imply a gradual refusal to eat:
- Abstinence from meat products.
- Refusal of dairy products, eggs and meat, but you can eat fish.
- Complete ban on meat, fish, dairy products and eggs. You can eat only vegetable food.
- Complements the list of forbidden products vegetable oil and wine.
- Xerophagy. You can eat bread, vegetables, berries and fruits without heat treatment, as well as water.
- Complete refusal to drink and food.
In addition to abstinence in food, throughout the entire period of fasting, it is necessary to attend church, attend services and pray. It should be noted that such strict rules apply exclusively to worshipers and those who are in the monastery, and for other people who believe in God, the post has a more flexible framework, so it will not be so difficult to observe it.
Post in modern society
Compliance with the fast allows not only to approach the Most High, to receive forgiveness and blessing, but also to improve your body. Nutritionists support this Orthodox tradition, and believe that abstinence from animal products, albeit temporary, and enriching the diet with plant food have a positive effect on health:
- reduced cholesterol levels;
- slags and toxins are removed;
- improves gastrointestinal function;
- The body is enriched with natural vitamins and minerals.
Despite the fact that the post has an exclusively religious meaning, it can be used to get rid of extra pounds, because for 7 weeks, the basis of the diet are vegetables, fruits and cereals. But it should be understood that such a diet is not suitable for everyone, so fasting is possible only if there are no contraindications, which include chronic diseases, disruption of the cardiovascular and urinary system.
To avoid health problems, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Since fasting implies a restriction in nutrition, it is necessary to properly formulate your diet in order not to damage your health and maintain good health. This is especially true for those who daily engage in heavy physical labor, or work in responsible work that requires high concentration of attention. Simple rules and recommendations will help you understand how to fast correctly:
- caloric intake should meet the standards, for example, for an adult — this is 1500-2000 kcal, depending on the gender and age of the person;
- Every day the necessary amount of proteins, carbohydrates and fats should be present in the menu, otherwise the work of metabolic processes will slow down;
- it is important not to forget about drinking — it can be purified water, homemade juices, tea, the total amount of which should be at least 1.5 liters;
- It is necessary to minimize the consumption of pickles, because during fasting they can harm the gastrointestinal tract and provoke an increase in pressure;
- For people with poor health, it is contraindicated to thoroughly observe fasting, therefore, on those days when we only allow 1 meal, you should eat in small portions 4-5 times a day;
- It is strictly not recommended to start fasting abruptly — this should be done gradually, i.e. even before the onset of this period, it is necessary to gradually abandon certain products and reduce their portions.
Allowed and prohibited products
For those who are not in the monastery and is not a priest, the rules of fasting are more loyal. They can eat various foods, with the exception of those that come from animals, respectively, dishes with their content are also prohibited. Despite the limitations, the daily diet can not be called scanty, especially since, with an effort, you can learn how to cook delicious dishes from the following list of authorized products:
- berries, fruits, mushrooms and vegetables in any form;
- all kinds of cereals and pasta;
- natural sweets — marmalade, dark bitter chocolate, jams, halva, jam;
- dried fruits;
- nuts and legumes;
- tea, compotes, decoctions.
As for the forbidden food, then it refers to:
- milk products;
- meat and fish;
- baking and muffin;
- fatty sweets — ice cream, milk and white chocolate, cakes, desserts with cream;
- alcohol, with the exception of red wine in moderation.
Those who have decided to fast should know that according to the church regulations there are days in which it is not necessary to strictly adhere to fasting and vice versa. For example, during Lent during the first 4 days of the last week, it is important to strictly follow the rules of abstinence in food, and on Pure Monday and Good Friday you can consume only drinking.
Some permissibility is allowed to allow Lent on the first Friday, for example, sweeten tea or cereal.
Every believer who decides to fast has to approach this consciously and intelligently. You should not start if you are not confident in your abilities, or you do not fully understand why this is necessary.
You can remain faithful to God without any restrictions, but if you want to follow the long-standing Christian traditions, then before you begin a fast, you must carefully study all its nuances and rules.
Guess today with the help of the tarot spread "Day map"!
For proper divination: focus on the subconscious and do not think about anything at least 1-2 minutes.