Ivan: the meaning and origin of the name, the nature of the character, fate, compatibility
Phonosemantic name Ivan gives the impression of something bright, joyful, beautiful, safe. Indeed, the holder of the name has a light aura, but a difficult fate.
Blame is the uneasy character of a guy, which surprisingly combines openness and isolation, good nature and uncontrolled aggression, tenderness and cruelty, assertiveness and weakness.
Ivan is trustful, good-natured, honest and open with those whom he loves and respects. But it’s easy to lose the trust of a man: it’s enough just to unsuccessfully make fun of him — and the retaliation will not be long in coming.
The owner of the name, though kind, knows how to stand up for himself. In a critical situation, he is able to mobilize all his forces and make the right decision based on personal interests.
Thanks to a pronounced vanity, Ivan often reaches dizzying success in his career.
- planet — the Sun, Jupiter;
- element — Water;
- metal — silver;
- the corresponding zodiac sign is Aquarius, Sagittarius.
Magic symbols and charms:
- The number is 2.
- Color — white, blue, red, orange.
- Plant — wild rose, wild rose, chamomile.
- The tree is birch.
- Totem animal and insect — horse, ladybug.
- Stone mascot — diamond.
- A good day of the week is Wednesday.
- Happy season is autumn.
- Significant years of life — 17, 32, 58.
In numerology, the number of the fate of the carrier of the name is a two, symbolizing balance and contrast, duality, femininity. This suggests that such a person seeks harmony, balance, often acts as a peacemaker.
He easily finds a common language with others, is able to sympathy and empathy. He has developed diplomatic skills, skillfully avoids conflicts, objectively assesses the situation from several sides, solves problems in a peaceful way (through negotiations).
"Two" — is a sociable, kind, sincere guy who is welcome in any company.
A person with a similar number of fate has developed an intuition, thanks to which he easily finds a way out of the most difficult situation. Being a one-man lover by nature, he is not inclined to change partners often, does not like changes, strives for stability and constancy.
Moderately reasonable and sensitive. Of the shortcomings of character can be identified:
- lack of self-confidence;
- unwillingness to take responsibility;
- excessive pliability.
The kindness of such a person is often mistaken for softness and weak character, used for mercenary purposes.
Since the full form of the name Ivan consists of 4 letters, this demonstrates the practicality, pragmatism of the man, his analytical mind. He is serious, reasonable, responsible approach to the issue of creating a family.
Prefers a sporty style in clothes, does not tend to shocking.
- And — spirituality, kindness, impressionability, peacefulness. Romantic, soft nature, hidden behind the mask of practicality and earthiness.
- In — creativity, communication skills, love of nature, vitality, optimism.
- A — the desire for spiritual and physical harmony, energy, leadership skills.
- H — sharp critical mind, rebellious spirit, pickyness, excessive criticality, responsible attitude to work. From such a person it turns out a diligent and diligent employee.
Linguists, who study the mystery and etymology of the name Ivan, believe that it has a Hebrew origin and is derived from the ancient Jewish name John, which literally translates as «God has pity, God has mercy, God has had mercy.» In Hebrew, it sounds like Yohanan (יוחנן). According to this interpretation, the meaning of the name is “God’s mercy, God’s grace, God’s reward”.
In Slavic languages came from the Greek ᾽Ιωάννης.
Some scholars are inclined to a different version: in ancient times, all Slavs were called vans in honor of the eponymous progenitor Rod, an ancient hero who outwitted the hero Svatyar (according to ancient Slavic myths and legends). Subsequently, «Van» was transformed into the name «Ivan» by adding a vowel at the beginning of the word for ease of pronunciation and better sound.
Common forms of the name: Vanya, Vanyusha, Vanyukha, Vanyushenka, Vanek, Vanyushka, Ivanyusha, Ivasya, Ivaha, Vanyura, Vanyatko, Vanyata, Ivanyuha, Vanyutka, Vanya, Vanya, Ivasha, Ivasik, Iva.
The church variant is John, the Muslim equivalent is Yahya.
Female derivatives: John, Ivanna. Synonyms and foreign analogues: John, Evan, Sean (English), Jean (French), Giovanni (ital.), Johann, Johan, Hans (German), Juan (Spanish), Vano (Georgian), Jan , Janusz (Polish., Czech.), Hovhannes (Armenian.), Jovan (Serb.), Johan (Swedish., Estonian.).
Outstanding and famous personalities with the name Ivan:
- Grand Prince of Moscow and All Russia, Ivan the Terrible;
- artists Aivazovsky, Vladimirovsky, Akimov, Shishkin;
- Russian writers and poets Bunin, Turgenev;
- Russian navigator Kruzenshtern;
- Russian scientists Michurin, Kulibin, Pavlov, Petrovsky, Efremov;
- state and political leader Mazepa;
- Russian poet and fabulist Krylov;
- opera singer Kozlovsky;
- Soviet explorer of the Arctic Papanin;
- military leaders Chernyakhovsky, Konev, Bagranyan;
- the founder of typography Fedorov;
- TV host Urgant;
- singer and musician Dorn;
- actor and director Okhlobystin.
The name Ivan appeared on the territory of Russia after the Christianization and became especially popular in the XIV century, after the ascension to the throne of Moscow Prince Ivan Kalita. According to historical data, by 1917, every fourth newborn baby was named with this name..
During the Great Patriotic War, the Germans called all Russians the Ivans — the name became a household name and identified the whole nation.
In the second half of the twentieth century, after the USSR came closer to Latin American countries, a Slavic male name became fashionable in Spanish-speaking countries. At the same time, at home, it began to be gradually forgotten.
And only in recent decades, the name Ivan has become again popular. Today it occupies the 9th place in the ranking of the most sought-after in the territory of the Russian Federation.
Patron saints of the owners of the name:
- St. John, Bishop of Sardis.
- King John the Serbian.
- St. John, Metropolitan Zikhnovsky.
- Bishop John the Silent, Savvait.
- Martyr John Vlach (Romanian).
- Martyr John of Alexandria.
- Martyr John of Bilensk.
- Martyr John of Byzantine.
- Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian.
- Martyr John the Warrior.
- Rev. John of the Ladder.
- Rev. John of Vifinsky.
- Patriarch John Chrysostom (Constantinople).
- Archbishop John Novgorod.
- The Monk John of Oxyrinth (Egyptian).
- Rev. John the Psycho, Confessor.
- St. John the Holy.
- Martyr John of Kazan.
- Bishop John of Damascus (Nitria).
- Rev. John of Zedazne.
- Blessed John Vlasatiy, Merciful, Rostov, Christ for the holy fool.
- Priest-martyr John of Bet-Selewki (Persian), Bishop.
- Martyr John of Galatia.
- Bishop John of Ephesus, Assia.
- Blessed John of Moscow, a holy fool for Christ.
- Great martyr John Sochavsky.
- Rev. John of Pechersk, Long-suffering, fasting.
- Saint John Maximovich, Metropolitan of Tobolsk and All Siberia.
- Rev. John of Rila.
- Martyr John of Sebaste.
- Rev. John Kukuzel.
- Rev. John Maysuradze, archimandrite, confessor.
- Rev. John the Hermit, Palestine.
- Righteous John Russian, confessor.
One of the most revered saints in Christianity is John the Prophet, who went down in history as the Prelate of the Lord, the Forerunner. He was born six months after the birth of Jesus Christ. At that time, King Herod issued a decree on the mass extermination of infants, which is why John’s mother, in order to save her son’s life, was forced to flee with him into the wilderness.
At the age of 30, the saint began to preach the word of God and baptize all those who wanted to join the Christian faith.
After the baptism of the Lord, John was captured and imprisoned by Herod’s order, and later their head was cut off and the king’s stepdaughter was brought off on a platter, who persuaded her stepfather to execute the saint. John’s body was buried by his disciples, and his head was buried separately on the Mount of Olives by Herod’s wife.