The name of Luke: the character of the boy and patrons
I have long and carefully chosen a name for my son. Firstly, I wanted to find a beautiful and unusual name, and secondly, I was interested in the meaning: I didn’t want to name the long-awaited boy as the first word … I chose Luka.
They say that the name of Luke promises the child a bright and rich life, great imagination, an abundance of ups and downs. And the rich experience will teach Luke to appreciate life and family silence.
But what contributes to this?
Most people interested in anthroponymy know that Luke goes back to the Greek language (as well as a significant proportion of all Russian names). And if in the XVIII-XX centuries, the popularity of the name faded away, now it appears again regularly in new birth certificates.
What you need to know about this ancient Greek name, before giving it to a newborn child?
You might think that the history of the name of Luke goes back to the adjective with the negative coloring «crafty». But this is not the case; there is no bad implication in the meaning of this proper name. The first mention of the name of Luke dates back to the era of the Byzantine Empire.
It comes from the original Greek word Λουκᾶς, translated into Russian as «light», «bright» or «shining». This is the meaning of this man’s name today.
There are also alternative versions of the origin of the given name. According to the inhabitants of the southern part of Europe, the name Luca comes from the geographical name of a region in Italy and literally means “a person from Lucania”. But even this version is associated with the Greeks, since the region was colonized by them in the years of Antiquity.
Philologists are not sure about the consistency of this version. The Slavic interpretation is that Luke is a separate abbreviation for the Latin name Lukyan.
Forms of reduced and affectionate treatment
It is quite difficult to shorten the already short names, which is why it is often replaced by foreign counterparts in the spirit of Lukash, Luke, Lukas and other names that are mostly found in the resettlement area of the Western Slavs. But to give a softer or diminutive form is quite realistic, even if you use the original Byzantine name. Home abbreviations include:
The secret of the name of Luke is that a boy or a man considers himself smarter than others. He will treat them either with fatherly care, or with a little contempt.
And pride in one’s own superiority can grow into real vanity or narcissism. But negative qualities do not limit the multifaceted nature. What are the other secrets of his temper?
How does Luka change with age?
A boy from an early age shows his independence. He weighs all his decisions and has an extraordinary mind for his age.
Excessive consciousness can lead to some difficulties: parents will not just convince the child that the truth is not. You do not need to think that Luke is closed and will face problems of socialization.
He is quite sociable and easily finds new friends among his peers and older people.
In school, Luke shows good progress. Typically, children with that name have a technical mindset, but you should not be surprised if the boy is early interested in writing (after all, you need to remember who his heavenly patron is) or literature.
He is demanding of himself and others, therefore conflicts between the child and the teachers are possible (Luke may well make a remark for a mistake or argue with the teacher, defending his position).
As for the boy’s health? He has a very strong immunity and resistance to negative environmental factors.
But in order for Luka to develop, it is necessary to provide him with a stable exercise, as well as regular walks (this is especially important for children who are not yet 12 years old). There will definitely be no problems with this: the boy himself will gladly throw out his irrepressible energy during sports activities.
At an older age
With age, the inner world of Luke almost does not change, but this does not make him infantile. He does not like to demonstrate his experiences, has a cold mind and rationally evaluates all life circumstances.
Good diplomatic skills are imposed on children’s charm (this makes the owners of such a name good politicians, interviewers or psychologists).
As far as work is concerned, Luke is a real perfectionist. It is important for him to feel that he is a successful person, so it is likely that in his youth, many of Luke’s efforts will be invested specifically in building a career or even his own business. After all, it is difficult for Luka to obey those who are less capable and intelligent than himself.
Luke’s model of behavior in society is quite stable, it is important for him to occupy his position and not lose it.
But all actions are taken not for the sake of the comfort of his ego, but to create a solid material base for the family. And only in the circle of close friends or relatives the young man will be able to demonstrate his nature. In fact, despite the behavior in society, Luka is a soft person.
The family is the main priority in the life of Luke, but with its creation he will not hurry. This is where his “I” manifests itself: balanced, rational and reasonable.
A little about other Luke
For me it was important that my son from birth had a strong heavenly patron: an apostle, an archangel, or a great martyr (or better a few). Yes, and to know that some great people are called the same as your child is also nice. Who can be called the famous namesake Luke?
And when is it necessary to celebrate the boy’s birthday in the Orthodox and Catholic traditions?
- Luca Badoer (Formula 1 pilot from Italy);
- Luca Antonelli (football player and defender from Italy);
- Luca Cordero di Montezemolo (politician and head of the board of directors of Ferrari Corporation);
- Luca Lanotte (Italian figure skater, multiple champion in pair skating);
- Luca Pacioli (the creator of accounting);
- Luca Signorelli (Italian medieval painter and sculptor);
- Luka Okrostsvaridze (Georgian and Russian pianist);
- Luka Zhidyata (Old Russian writer and organizer of the construction of the St. Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod);
- Luca Ronconi (Italian actor and film director);
- Luka Modrić (football player and midfielder from Croatia);
- Luka Leiden (Dutch artist and creator of extraordinary engravings);
- Luka Khokhlach (Don Ataman and Companion of the Rebel Kondraty Bulavin);
- Luka (besfamilnyy character of the play Maxim Gorky «At the bottom»);
- Luca Guinee (Italian botanist who developed the herbarization process);
- Luka Razikashvili (Georgian poet, rethinking Caucasian mythology in his lyrics);
- Luca Pacioli (great Italian mathematician and author of the theory of geometric proportions).
Named saints and patrons of Luke
The most famous namesake is the Evangelist Luke, who, moreover, was one of the twelve apostles of Christ. The second and slightly less popular is Luka Voyno-Yasnetsky.
He lived in the 19th century and, having received a medical degree, devoted himself to serving God. Luka Voyno-Yasnetsky was persecuted more than once for his sermons, but he still didn’t give up his ideals, which is why he was in long exile. In Orthodox culture, the birthday of Luke is celebrated on the following dates:
- January 9 and 17;
- February 11, 20, 23;
- March 5 or 18;
- April 5 or 21;
- June 11; July 3 and 10;
- August 12 and 31;
- September 20 or 23;
- October 31;
- November 19 and December 24.
How to determine the day on which to celebrate the birthday of a particular Luke? First, it will be stipulated in the baptismal certificate. Secondly, you need to find the date closest to the birthday.
In Catholic culture, dates are somewhat different. There are no matches at all in the official calendar approved this year. Europeans Luke’s name falls on:
- 13th of January;
- February 5, 12 and 7;
- March 1 and 2;
- June 5;
- October 13 and 18;
- December 10 and 11, as well as December 27.
- The name Luke is of ancient Greek origin and is translated as «bright»;
- According to another version, this is an Italian name, which translates as “a man from Lucania”;
- There are many nice abbreviations in the name of Luke (Lukas, Lukony, Lukonechka, and so on);
- In his childhood Lukasa is notable for his extraordinary intelligence, charisma and sociability;
- An adult manages to develop in his career and in family life. The second is more important to him;
- There are many eminent namesakes of Luke, who have manifested themselves in various fields of science;
- Luke has important Orthodox and Catholic patrons, and there are more than a dozen birthday dates.
Guess today with the help of the tarot spread "Day map"!
For proper divination: focus on the subconscious and do not think about anything at least 1-2 minutes.