Kundalini yoga: what is it, proper preparation for it
India attracts attention not only by its special spiritual worldview, but also by the fact that various amazing practices have appeared and developed in it to ensure that people harmoniously develop physically and mentally. In particular, special attention is paid to such a direction as kundalini yoga.
You will learn more about it in this article.
A little about the creator of Kundalini Yoga
Kundalini yoga began to spread widely around the world in the 60s of the last century. The first who began to promote and advertise this trend was a famous yoga teacher and businessman Yogi Bhajan.
Yogi wrote that: “Kundalini yoga is a yoga of awareness, formed by simple yoga techniques that are pleasant for everyone, regardless of age or fitness level. This is a teaching consisting of breathing exercises (pranayama), yoga poses (asanas), interaction with the energy of sound, the use of mantras and meditative practices.
The main goal of Kundalini Yoga is to open the possibility for a person to experience the experience of the highest consciousness by increasing the creative energy of Kundalini. ”
Kundalini yoga is an effective method of body and mind work, which is effective even among the most skeptical beginners.
At the same time, strict asceticism is not supposed in Kundalini Yoga — it is quite suitable for people who are looking for an opportunity to realize their potential in this world, and not renounce it.
What Kundalini really is
In order to understand why Kundalini Yoga is needed, it is necessary first of all to establish what, in reality, is Kundalini?
Kundalini is the energy that is the basis for the birth of everything in our world, as well as for spiritual development.
The literal translation of the word «kundalini» from Sanskrit is as follows: «like a snake, which sleeps coiled up, reliably hidden power.»
And the truth is that Ayurveda and yoga compare Kundalini with a snake, dormant in each of us since our birth, located in the area of the Muladhara Chakra (the base of the spinal column).
By performing special practices, it becomes possible to awaken this energy, as well as moving it up through all the energy centers of a person to the Sahasrara chakra (the upper energy center located in the crown area).
Due to this, a person develops and improves spiritually, gets the opportunity to be realized creatively, and also to get rid of pathologies that have arisen due to the impaired circulation of vital energy through the chakras.
Distinctive features of this technique
- At the beginning and end of the class mantras are sung — special divine songs.
- Kundalini yoga exercises performed in statics and dynamics, are technically simple, but they have a very powerful effect largely due to the long run — from sixty seconds to an hour or more.
- At the same time, a lot of attention is paid to bandham (locks), mudras (they are symbolic positions of hands) and breathing techniques.
- The basis of the discipline is Sadhana, serving as training and meditation until dawn, when the energy channels of a person are the purest and really feel how subtle energy moves along them.
- To become a Kundalini practitioner, there is no need for advanced physical training, special flexibility or super-health. At the same time to practice should choose clothes in white.
Effect of Kundalini Yoga on the Human Body
Kundalini yoga is a rejuvenating and healthful practice that gives the human body vigor, vitality and good mood. Already from the first workout it contributes to a better awareness of your thoughts and feelings, and also helps to be honest with yourself.
The initial goal of Kundalini Yoga is spiritual development, but today it is successfully practiced when it is necessary to achieve specific goals related to health, communication and business.
Kundalini yoga has absorbed the culture and religion of the Sikhs, who at the same time do not impose it on others. In this practice, students receive not religious knowledge, but energy with the determination to realize what the soul aspires to.
What is the purpose of Kundalini Yoga, an overview of its features
Thanks to the Indian spiritual practice of Kundalini Yoga, the simultaneous resolution of several goals is possible. Since this area of yoga is also known as “yoga of awareness”, then its main meaning will be to concentrate on your self-knowledge, improving your spirit and revealing the higher meaning of your life.
The main goals of Kundalini Yoga are as follows:
- to eliminate the internal duality that prevents a person from becoming higher than the material world;
- fully awaken your mind, purify and expand it;
- to encourage inner peace, to achieve high results in business.
Unlike some of the areas of yoga that advocate withdrawal from public life and celibacy, Kundalini Yoga is intended for family and working people, and this is noted by Yogi Bhajan himself.
This teaching consists of specific techniques and exercises, for example:
- «Halasana» — helps strengthen the spinal muscles, preserving the flexibility of the spine;
- «Paschimottanasana» — increases gastric fire, allows you to get rid of fatty deposits on the stomach;
- “Surya namaskar” — opens the heart chakra and fills it with divine love.
But with all this, Kundalini yoga can carry some danger. This is due to the fact that when the very powerful energy of the Kundalini awakens, the energy shell of a person faces serious changes.
And when changes occur in the physical body, the quality of consciousness perception changes, as well as many life priorities.
As the power of the Kundalini awakens, a person becomes more self-confident, gets rid of fear and anxiety. But only that person who has a sincere desire to know divine love and share his love and energy with all living things will be able to get the best results by practicing Kundalini yoga.
Why Kriyas are Important in Kundalini Yoga
Before embarking on mastering the practice of Kundalini Yoga, a preparatory stage will be required, which includes physical and moral purification.
It is simply explained — the awakening of the flow of powerful Kundalini energy in a person who is overcome by negative thoughts and qualities (even if his body is healthy enough) will have a negative impact, first of all, on him.
The insufficiently purified mind from the remnants of old karma and the unchanged perception of oneself and the surrounding reality, together with the active use of yoga practices, rather quickly contributes to the development of various disorders, in particular mental ones.
For this purpose, in order to purify physically and spiritually, kriya, special techniques, are used in Kundalini Yoga. In particular, air purification, water and energy practices.
With the help of such exercises as trataka, basti, dhuti and others, it becomes possible to develop endurance, develop flexibility, strengthen the body, give the body greater vitality.
In addition, you can use special diets or even hunger strikes that allow you to cleanse the body by eliminating toxins and slags.
To purify the mental body, to establish harmony between the perception of oneself and the surrounding reality, one must learn to contact oneself and other people on a spiritual level with the help of meditative practices, mantra singing, concentration, as well as visualization techniques.
How long the purification stage and its components will be is depending on the personality characteristics of each individual.
Information that must be known by those who want to try Kundalini Yoga
You have already understood that Kundalini Yoga is a serious practice, therefore, it must be taken with full responsibility and with skill. Anyone who is just starting to practice yoga should consider the following recommendations:
- The main thing to remember is about contraindications to Kundalini yoga. Of these, the following should be mentioned: hypertension, epilepsy, the presence of congenital heart disease, the use of strong medicines (antidepressants, tranquilizers), narcotic or alcohol intoxication, gallstone disease. If you have any cardiovascular pathologies, dizziness or fainting, hypotension, allergic reactions, depressions, or you have recently suffered serious injuries — before you begin your practice, we advise you to consult a specialist if you have any serious injuries. harm.
- It is important that the pace of employment was chosen individually, taking into account the characteristics of each person. With each new lesson, it is possible to increase the time allotted for the exercise. You can not tolerate pain or discomfort that occurs during exercise.
- Adequate water should be consumed during class.
- For training, choose the most loose clothing, which is based on natural fabrics. Before practicing yoga, get rid of any decorations to minimize the risk of injury.
- During the classroom, use a pillow, rug, or rug for your convenience.
- Refrain from eating three hours before your workout. In general, before practicing yoga, it is not recommended to drink coffee or drinks with caffeine content, because it increases blood pressure. In addition, of course, you must eliminate from your diet alcohol and drugs, tobacco.
- When practicing Kundalini Yoga, it is important to pay enough attention to the mantra. Do not refuse to read the divine songs, even if you do not believe in them — all the same you can be convinced of their effectiveness.
- The fair sex should abandon yoga exercises in which the press is activated during critical days, and also from inverted poses and breathing with the help of the abdomen.
- Do not try to eliminate your thoughts that appear in your head when you are doing exercises or meditating. In this fight you will only reduce the concentration of your attention, but you will not achieve any positive result.
But the most important point — get ready for the fact that Kundalini Yoga has a fairly quick result. If you perform all the techniques correctly, then a person acquires the most powerful tool for spiritual development and improvement.
Now you know what Kundalini Yoga is and how to begin using this practice for beginners. At the end of the topic we recommend you to turn to an interesting thematic video clip:
Guess today with the help of the tarot spread "Day map"!
For proper divination: focus on the subconscious and do not think about anything at least 1-2 minutes.