The reasons why the nails became thick and hard, as well as the treatment
The nails have become thick. This problem worries both men and women. This phenomenon is observed not only on the toes, but also appears on the hands. Besides the fact that this violation causes an aesthetic aversion to one’s own appearance and physical discomfort (as nails often grow into fingers or run into shoes), you should know that this is a serious skin disease. And it should be fought as soon as possible. Delaying the start of treatment threatens with serious consequences, among which the loss of the nail is considered the most harmless, and one of the most difficult is damage to the bones and gangrenous states.
To treat thickened nails on the hands and feet should be medications and folk remedies, and the latter are often recommended to use and dermatologists.
In the fight against nail thickening, you can use:
- infusions of herbal herbs decoctions;
- medical preparations in the form of gels, sprays or pastes.
All these tools give results, but the treatment is long and requires individual selection. About the most likely causes of the thickening of the nail plate and the best means of dealing with this disease will be discussed in the article.
The main cause of growths on the nails of the hands and feet is a fungus disease. It is also called mycosis (ohnemicosis). This disease has several varieties, among which are:
- hypertrophic occultosis;
- atrophic ochnemicosis.
In the first case, the nail loses shine, becomes ribbed and rough, and often begins to wrap up like in birds, while glaring at the skin. Most often, the nail plate has a yellow color and seals and growths can be seen on it with the naked eye.
In the second case, the nail becomes a dirty gray color and exfoliates from the nail bed. The skin on the fingers becomes loose and crusted. Even regular foot hygiene or hand washing does not help get rid of this disease, and the symptoms appear with increasing force.
Often the disease begins with a big toe and is the result of infection of the nail plate with fungi:
The risk group includes people with diabetes and other metabolic disorders, although factors such as:
- lack of foot hygiene and poor-quality hand washing;
- wearing narrow shoes with an uncomfortable shoe;
- flat feet;
- prolonged use of footwear related to overalls (rubber boots, berets, sports shoes);
- wearing leather leatherette shoes;
- other people’s gloves.
Fungi can also be infected in nail salons, whose specialists neglect the rules of sterilization of instruments, have low qualifications and do not know how to distinguish the manifestations and the first signs of nail fungus, and also pursue profits, regardless of professional responsibilities. And, what is the most offensive, to blame them for this will not work, because not a month will pass from the moment of infection.
Also, thickening of the nails can threaten those who:
- uses shared towels;
- wash in bath rooms and shower sports complexes, industries and other common areas, and goes into the booths barefoot;
- visits the pool;
- wearing slippers at a party on his bare feet;
- uses common bedding.
The risk of being infected with a fungus and resulting in thickened nails is also among those who try on shoes in stores without socks, although this is prohibited by sanitary norms.
The most vulnerable to the disease, manifested by thickening of the nails can be called those people who:
- prone to nail injuries due to professional activities;
- suffers from vascular diseases and diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs;
- has problems in the immune system and is susceptible to a larger spectrum of pathogens than healthy people.
There is also a high risk of contracting nail fungus during pregnancy or after childbirth, when a woman’s body is working for two or weakened. After respiratory diseases, infection also occurs quickly, because a person needs more nutrients and vitamins. Elderly and childhood, as well as long-term use of antibiotics are a prerequisite for the defeat of a fungal infection. Also at risk are people living in regions with poor environmental conditions or leading an immoral lifestyle. The latter do not pay attention to the disease and are the source of the spread of the fungus: you just hold your hand on the railing, and then do not wash them and touch the microcrack on the hands or feet — and the problem of thickening the nails will become urgent for a month.
Treatment of a disease such as thickening of the nails on the hands or toes should begin with a visit to the dermatologist. The medical institution will take a piece of the nail for analysis and, after the study, will prescribe drugs that will help get rid of the unpleasant disease, and after that they will return the usual shine, color and immaculate smoothness to the nails.
The main reason that the fungus causes tremendous damage is the fact that few people can recognize the disease in its early stages. Meanwhile, it is not the nail thickening that should alert, but:
- the formation of cuticle seals;
- cracks on the skin of the fingers and in the folds, which arise «by themselves»;
- itching between the fingers and the formation of seals between them in the form of hard calluses, crusts and cones;
- a bundle of nails;
- pain when walking;
- unpleasant foot odor.
If these characteristics have a place, then you should carefully consider your health, as well as conduct a course of prevention of the disease. It is advisable to connect to this process all households, because prevention can avoid the worst.
After receiving information about the nature of the fungus that caused the nails to thicken, treatment should begin immediately. A quick result should not be expected, because until the nail plate is completely replaced, get a healthy nail will not work. It is also necessary to be prepared for the fact that on the legs the nails grow much slower than on the hands, and the average time for changing the nail is about four months.
Recently, from television screens and on the Internet you can find a huge number of commercials, saying that it is the advertised tool that will help in the fight against fungus and nail thickening caused by it. It is also tempting to say that you don’t need to do too much to fight the disease: smeared and wait for the result tomorrow! But this is just a PR move, and only a doctor will be able to prescribe the most effective drug. It also happens that in the course of treatment the medicines and their forms change several times.
In any case, you should know that all drugs that can get rid of nail thickening, are divided into:
- Antimycotic. They are taken inside. Capsules and tablets «Fluconazole», «Ketoconazole», «Terbinafin» with a broad spectrum of action are considered to be the most famous. However, they are only additional substances in the treatment of fungal infections.
- Antifungal agents for external use. They are the main therapeutic substances prescribed by the traditional method of treatment. Local action and rapid absorption in the foci of infection can not only quickly reduce inflammation and destroy the pathogen, but also extend the period of remission. The most famous means of this series are medicines under the trade name «Lamisil», «Exoderil», «Nizoral», «Clotrimazole», «Mikoseptin».
Among the drugs listed above, ointments and creams predominate, but there are also:
- medical varnishes with a decorative effect «Batrafen», «Demicten»;
- Sprays Terbix, Bifosin.
It is not necessary to self-medicate, because the dose of drugs and the duration of the course of treatment are prescribed individually for each patient. In addition to all this, all drugs have side effects, a special method of application and other nuances that only a specialist can reveal. In addition, only a specialist will be able to remove the infected nail plate surgically.
You should be prepared to visit the doctor more than once, because in the process of dealing with thick nails you will have to repeatedly take fences of biomaterials for laboratory research.
Folk remedies are used along with the above preparations of the allopathic profile. These drugs and formulations help speed up the healing process. All substances have an antibacterial effect and fold foreign protein.
The number and composition of components
Trays with sea salt
You will need one tablespoon of edible sea salt or one tablespoon of table salt, a teaspoon of baking soda and five drops of a pharmaceutical alcohol solution of iodine. Salt or composition should be dissolved in two liters of warm water.
The procedure lasts twenty minutes. As the water cools, you can add a small amount of boiling water. The course of this procedure is long. You can alternate these baths with other procedures below. Such a tool is not suitable for those who have sores on the skin. Also, do not use it in the treatment of children.
In equal parts by weight, mix a dry billet of pharmaceutical chamomile, oak bark, calendula and celandine. For one procedure, you will need two tablespoons of a dry mixture of herbs, pour two liters of boiling water, then cover the container with a lid, a towel and insist 40 minutes. Once the decoction is infused, it should be drained through cheesecloth. In the liquid you need to squeeze and water remaining in the grass.
The broth is heated in a water bath to room temperature or slightly above this indicator, and then immersed in it fungal feet or palms.
Before baths, you must wash your feet in soapy water.
If you need to treat a child, the composition is recommended to heat to thirty-seven degrees. Do not use this decoction of allergies.
Table vinegar or apple its equivalent in the required quantity.
The substance is applied on a cotton swab or disc, and then rubbed on the foot or palm, fingers or toes, nails. You can not apply the tool to those who have small cracks on the skin or suffer concomitant dermatitis, as this will cause unbearable pain and an increase in the affected areas.
All procedures should be carried out before medical ointments, sprays and other medicinal formulations are applied, or overnight. In the latter case, it is recommended to wear socks so that the skin softens a little while sleeping, and the affected nail can peel off in the underwear, and not on the bed.
Nails that have become thicker than healthy ones, turn yellow and ache, may never appear or stop bothering in the future if people respect hygiene and also listen to advice. The recommendations will allow you to understand the cause of the disease and to counter it with preventive methods.
- Do not wear someone else’s shoes.
- Any shoes need care not only from the outside, but also from the inside. Internal cleaning should be done with alcohol, vinegar, disinfectant compositions for shoes, as well as hydrogen peroxide or chlorhexidine. Sports shoes should be washed, and summer sandals should be regularly washed in soapy water.
- Products made of artificial leather is the main source of fungus. In such footwear feet sweat, the skin of feet receives microtraumas, and also kozhzam badly absorbs moisture.
- Try to avoid trying on shoes on bare feet, and in any case do not use the sock offered by the seller if it has not been removed from the sterile packaging!
- Regularly change socks and tights and never wear these clothes immediately after purchase, without prior washing.
- Avoid the use of rag towels in common areas, as well as walking barefoot on the floor in apartments and houses, including at home, because the fungus microspores can be everywhere.
- Often pay attention to the signals of your own body, and then the fungus, and its direct consequence — thickening on the nails — there will be no place!
At the time of the fight against the fungus that causes thickening of the nails and other manifestations of the disease, you should wash the underwear and bedding, be sure to iron it, avoid using synthetic tights and follow the diet. The last recommendation allows you to adjust the metabolic processes in the body, therefore, the person will have more strength to fight the disease.
We hope that the article was useful, and readers will no longer have questions about why the nail has become thick, yellowed or darkened, and, worst of all, it has become deformed. There will also be irrelevant questions regarding how and with what you can correct the situation at home and whether to contact a dermatologist with this disease. As a reward, attentive to their own health, readers will be well-groomed nails, whole socks and panty hoses, open summer shoes and a great mood to boot!