Masking tonal means for the skin of the face — their choice and types; how to choose and use; application rules
Perfect, beautiful face tone — the dream of every girl. After all, beautiful smooth skin without flaws is not just a sign of health and proper self-care. It is also a clean canvas for the subsequent application of makeup.
Even if you made up your eyes perfectly, eyebrows, lips, but forgot about the use of tonal means, makeup will not play the way you would like.
That is why since ancient times, all the beauties have used any possible means, gifts of nature and the achievements of scientists, in order to make their skin smooth, beautiful and even.
For example, in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome, various powders were used to whiten the skin of the face, which, moreover, were given sacral significance (the property of protecting the owner from evil spirits was attributed). Powder was made from chalk, flour from various cereals, plant pollen, etc. And for the higher nobility there was lead white, which were extremely unhealthy. But what sacrifices you will not make for the sake of beauty? In the East, people most likely loved themselves more. That is why China and Japan used bleaching blends based on wax, plant herbs and rice flour, although they added a small amount of bird droppings to them (probably, too, to scare away evil spirits).
But in the Middle Ages and later the aristocratic pallor became an indispensable condition of belonging to a high society. What sacrifices were not made on the altar of fashion! Starvation, bloodletting … Against the background of these fanatics, the arsenic whitewash that was in the boudoir of each lady looks completely innocent. True, a small drawback of this cosmetic can be considered the fact that with its help beauties sent unwanted husbands into the world of another. By the time this feature became widely known, more than 600 men were poisoned …
Later on, kaolin, talc, and any loose bases were used to impart a uniform color and velvety to the skin.
Well, the first foundation was invented in 1935 by Max Factor for the cinema. It was first used to apply make-up in the painting Vogues (1938). By the way, the most ardent fan of this invention was none other than Charlie Chaplin himself.
And today, despite the fact that there is a whole industry in cosmetology and plastic surgery, aimed at correcting the imperfections of the skin of the face and body, tonal tools are extremely popular. Each company specializing in the production of cosmetic products is committed to contributing to the replenishment of the market for these products. Every year more and more advanced technologies and formulas appear. Harmful and dangerous mixtures to health and life are long gone. Modern foundation creams and powders combine in themselves decorative, cosmetic and skin care properties. That is why it is so important to be able to select products that are suitable for your skin. And then your face will shine, sparkle and become the perfect picture.
Types of tonal resources are quite diverse. Understand the wide range of items offered by cosmetics companies is very difficult. You should not limit your knowledge of these products to the knowledge of only one foundation in the classic version. Perhaps it will suit you a slightly different formula or texture. In addition, there are cases when you can’t do anything with a single foundation: you’ll have to use point concealers, fix makeup with matting powder or make a miracle of make-up art before an important event or photo session — make face sculpting.
At the moment there are such types of tonal resources on the market:
1. Foundation — it is a composition applied to the skin of the face and body, containing beige pigments of various shades. This type of foundation has a creamy texture, but there are a huge number of varieties of foundation. For each skin type, for each individual problem, you can choose your own version of a cosmetic product:
- Camouflage — This option is suitable either for actors or for people who clearly have flaws, which can be seen even at a distance. Camouflage has a very dense texture and excellent covering ability, thanks to which they do an excellent job of masking scars, scars, pigment and birthmarks, acne, and many other aesthetic problems. As part of these products are heavy silicones and pigments, because of which they are difficult to remove from the skin of the face and body. It is almost impossible to detect camouflage in a wide sale, most often they are distributed through beauty salons and plastic surgery clinics.
- Classic concealer — this is exactly the cosmetic we are used to, which we observe on the shelves of cosmetic stores. Such creams differ in texture: they are lighter or denser. They may also differ in their directionality and auxiliary functions: to be moisturizing, nourishing, anti-aging, etc. The differences may be of a different nature: for example, matting for oily skin or containing reflective particles to give a healthy glow to your skin.
- Cream tonal effect — such a tool can be recommended as a day cream for happy owners of hassle-free skin. This cream has a light property of equalizing the overall tone of the face, but it is more aimed at skin care. There are moisturizing or nourishing. Most often, this option is used in the summer heat, when there is no desire to apply several layers of cosmetics.
- BB cream — a novelty on the modern market. It combines several functions simultaneously: it masks imperfections well and cares for the skin, simultaneously healing it.
- Tonal mousse, tonal soufflé — These are tools designed to facilitate the daily application of cosmetics. They have a light whipped texture and are very pleasant to use. If the foundation, as a rule, creates a satin coating, then these funds will make your face velvety.
- Cream powder — very convenient texture of this tool allows you to significantly reduce the time of applying makeup, since you simultaneously perform two operations. Cream powder is very interesting to use: a creamy remedy as it spreads to your fingers and face, instantly turning into a light powder veil.
2. Powder — powdered cosmetic product, which has probably the longest history among all the other tonal resources. It is applied to the face, pursuing several goals: matting the skin, getting rid of oily shine, fixing makeup, leveling the overall skin tone and masking flaws. Most often you can find such forms of powder in the modern market:
- Crumbly — used in the main application of makeup. To cover the face with such powder, a large flat brush is used (kabuki is best). Movement should be circular. As part of loose powder less fat, which is why it is perfect for owners of oily skin, helping them cope with a greasy shine.
- Compact — such powder will become your faithful assistant and caring friend throughout the day, helping to correct makeup. It holds less firmly than crumbly, but it is very convenient to use.
- In balls — a novelty of modern cosmetic products. It is interesting because in a jar with powder there are many balls of different shades at once, due to which it is possible to achieve mixing of pigments and more natural skin tone.
3. Concealer / Concealer — creamy or powdery means designed for spot masking flaws. With its help get rid of redness, pimples, circles under the eyes and other minor defects. But, despite the fact that the components of these products often include therapeutic components, it is still not necessary to consider them to be full-fledged care products.
Choose a tonal tool that is ideal for you. Complicated. Therefore, it is very often possible to observe several jars of masking cream in the stores of fashionistas, which in the store were “seemingly nothing”, and when applied in the morning they formed disgusting stains that were not at all the right shade. But such problems are quite easy to avoid. Enough to adhere to just a few rules.
1. Determination of skin tone. First, decide what kind of subtone your skin has:
- Cold undertone. If the blood vessels that appear closer to the skin surface have a violet or lilac shade, silver much more advantageously emphasizes your individuality than gold, then you are the owner of a cold skin tone. In this case, the selection of tonal means you should pay attention to products that have a pinkish tint, which will be able to block the light purple fleur, appearing when the rays of the sun hit the face.
- Neutral undertone. Blood vessels have a blue-green hue, both gold and silver, look great on you, and in the sun your skin is slightly translucent greenish. In this case, you should buy yourself a cream and other tonal cosmetics. natural beige and grayish shades.
- Warm undertone. Owners of such skin have a shade of blood vessels, greenish or olive, and their greatness is much better emphasized by gold, while silver loses its charm. In the rays of the sun, light golden or yellowish highlights appear on the face. In such cases, more suitable products with apricot, peach and golden hue.
2. Determination of skin type. Once you understand the shades and subtones, you should pay attention to your skin type, understand what you expect from the tonal tool. After all, each person is an individual, and the times when the ballet cream “Ballet” was used by everyone, young and old, are long gone.
- Oily skin. Such skin will not tolerate on itself a dense foundation with a lipid-rich texture. Here it is necessary to use not so much cream, as their lighter variations. So, tonal cream mousses, foams and emulsions will work much better. There are no oils in their composition, which means that there will not be a dense coating on the face, the fat will not clog the pores, and the skin will breathe easily without being covered with greasy shine.
- Combination skin. You can, of course, long and hard to look for a magical tool that can combine in itself and caring for oily skin of the T-zone, and for dry or normal skin of the cheeks. But it will be much faster, more efficient and even more economical to purchase two products at once, each of which will ideally suit a particular area of the face.
- Normal skin. It’s all much easier. Watch for the hypoallergenic product you are buying, its quality and the perfect match of shades — and then everything will be “chocolate”.
- Dry skin. The more saturated with various nutrients, oils and lipids the structure of the purchased product is, the better. After all, it is then that the foundation will ideally lie on the surface of the face, to be distributed there, without causing tightness and dryness. But pay attention only to high-quality, well-known brands that have been well proven for a long time.
- Fading skin. There is one feature of the use of tonal means for fading skin, which, as a rule, belongs to the dry type. You should use the tools related to the specialized series, which contain reflective particles. Then the light-scattering elements will mask the crow’s feet and creases near the lips much better.
3. Determination of shade. After you have completed all the above recommendations, you should proceed to the choice of the tone of the tonal tool to be bought. Remember the most important thing: do not test the cream on your hand. The skin on the face is radically different from the skin on the face. Therefore, try the foundation should be only on the face. Apply three longitudinal strips selectable shade on the chin and look in the mirror. And then go out and look in the mirror again. Only the one that will blend in perfectly with the natural color of the skin has the right to exist in your cosmetic bag.
It is very easy to get rid of drawbacks with the help of proofreaders and concealers, because in modern art of make-up, the days when a thick layer of foundation was applied to make a sudden pimple or a tipped vessel invisible to be noticed. Now invented tools such as concealer (concealer, from the English. Conceal — «hide») and the corrector (corrector, from the English. Correct — «correct»). Quite often, these concepts are confused, and indeed, they have one goal — to hide the existing shortcomings. But still these tools differ slightly in action, use and texture.
Concealer — cosmetic with a rather dense, opaque texture, used for applying a thick layer of cosmetics on the existing drawback, for example, on a popped pimple. Very often disinfectants are included in the concealer to cure any skin defect. Also, the tool may include reflective particles, and in this case it is used to mask wrinkles.
Select concealer should be in tune, well, or half a tone lighter than your natural complexion.
Corrector — This tool is used for color correction of various deficiencies. That is why they produce proofreaders of various shades. The texture of this tool is lighter than that of the concealer, and is applied with a thinner layer. There are the following tone correctors:
- Green — designed to correct red flaws, such as inflammation, pimples, vessels that have appeared, and allergic reactions.
- Yellow — this option is used to mask the purple and blue flaws on the skin, for example, bruises under the eyes, dark circles, appearing veins.
- Orange, salmon — they are used mainly on the skin with a yellow subtone for masking bruises under the eyes.
- Lilac, lilac — are used to correct imperfections on the skin with an excessively yellow undertone, as they hide the painful yellowness well.
These are not all versions of the color corrector, but the most common. In general, there is a fairly wide color palette of this tool. And this is not surprising. After all, each person is individual, each has their own personal skin color and their own shortcomings. Therefore, to find the perfect corrector is not easy.
Application concealer and corrector also has its own characteristics:
- Always apply the product only after covering the face with a makeup base, but before applying foundation and powder.
- To make the proofreader or concealer sit correctly on your face, apply them with a special brush. strictly on the existing shortcoming. If you apply it with your finger (preferably nameless), then you should not rub the tool: it will be much more effective to gently tap it with your fingertips with slightly patting movements.
- If you are masking a sudden pimple or inflammation, then you should not put a concealer directly on it: it is better to drive a green corrector slightly around it, blocking the protruding redness.
- If you mask circles under the eyes and bags, then apply concealer or corrector on the border of the circle, not on the flaw itself, and only after that gently blend.
- Do not use very dense means for masking wrinkles, because in this case, the texture will further emphasize the wrinkles, clogging between them.
- Do not be afraid to experiment, because only you know the features of your skin, which means that on an intuitive level you can mix exactly those shades that mask your personal flaws.
Many makeup artists believe that without a good concealer it is impossible to make a full-fledged, modern makeup. That is why he must be in every girl’s cosmetics bag, because correctors and concealers are truly capable of performing miracles, transforming an ordinary appearance into an image worthy of a princess.
Drawing tonal means on the face is a whole art that many people cannot or do not want to learn. That is why you can observe on the street girls who have that notorious “plaster” on their face. But to properly align the tone of the face is not so difficult. To do this, just follow a few rules:
- Before applying makeup for half an hour, put a thin layer of your favorite moisturizer. After half an hour, remove unabsorbed residues with a damp cloth.
- It is also advisable to use a specially developed cosmetic base for make-up, which aligns the structure of the skin, will make the enlarged pores less pronounced.
- Mask all the flaws concealer or corrector required shades.
- Proceed to applying a tonal tool. This can be done with a sponge, brush or fingers. Each method has both disadvantages and advantages, so you can make a choice only on the basis of your own preferences after gaining a certain experience.
- You can, of course, just take and “wash” with a tonal tool, but it will be much more effective and correct to apply it according to the lines of hair growth and muscle location, as in the diagram below.
- Do not think that the more money you apply, the better you will look. In this case, your face will turn into an inanimate mask. Much more natural will look a few thin layers, applied one by one.
- Watch carefully for a good shading of the boundaries between the painted skin and non-colored. This applies to the growth zone of the hair, chin and ears.
- If your clothes require a neckline, then it is worth applying a foundation to this area.
Do not be afraid of various non-traditional forms of tonal resources. Who knows, perhaps tonal mousse or emulsion will work much better on your skin type. And remember that moderation and naturalness are the main criteria when choosing and applying cosmetic products designed to even out skin tone.