Food preservative E202 Potassium sorbate — what is it?
Food preservative E202 Potassium Sorbate It is either a white crystalline powder or a granular substance of the same color. This additive has almost no smell, the taste is bitter.
The empirical formula of potassium sorbate is as follows — C6H7O2K.
Get food supplement E202 of potassium hydroxide and sorbic acid.
Due to the fact that potassium sorbate has a depressant effect on some species of bacteria, on mold fungi, and also on yeast, it is widely used in the food industry to extend the shelf life of certain foods. However, in this case it should be understood that this preservative does not have a microbicidal effect, but only only slows down the development of microbes. For this reason, potassium sorbate should be added exclusively to hygienically clean raw materials.
In the Russian Federation, food supplement code E202 considered authorized, as evidenced by the fifteen standards (GOST) for the production of various types of food.
Due to the fact that potassium sorbate has a microbicidal effect, which was discussed earlier, it is used as a preservative, which allows to extend the shelf life of the final product. The areas of application are:
- production of canned fruit products;
- confectionery production;
- production of various dairy products;
- making sausages;
- processing of gelatin films for meat products;
- production of canned fish;
- wine making (in this case, potassium sorbate does not ferment the noble drink);
- surface treatment of various dried fruits;
- surface processing of bakery products and, directly, the bread itself;
- processing of materials intended for food packaging.
Thus, it is obvious that the scope of potassium sorbate in the food industry is very extensive. And although this additive has almost the same properties and is used in the production of the same products as sorbic acid, it is still used more often. The fact is that the solubility of potassium sorbate in water is much higher, and therefore it is easier to apply.
E202 food supplement has also found its use in the production of cosmetics and decorative cosmetics. You can meet potassium sorbate in the list of ingredients in such cosmetics:
- liquid soap;
- gel for the body;
- face and body skin care products (this includes various cleansing products and creams);
- tanning, as well as creams and other products that promote a quick uniform tan;
- means for caring for the oral cavity.
As a rule, in the manufacture of cosmetics potassium sorbate is used in combination with other preservatives.
The question of the effect of the food additive E202 on the body, and accordingly on human health is one of the most important in the context of this article. Definitely it can be argued that no preservative hazard. Nevertheless, it can still do some harm. For example, particularly sensitive people (as a rule, allergy sufferers) may, due to the intake of this substance, provoke an allergic reaction (skin rash and itching).
Once in the body, potassium sorbate is completely broken down and absorbed.
Synonymous names of food supplement E202:
- potassium sorbate;
- potassium salt of sorbic acid;
- potassium sorbate;
- potassium sorbic acid.
Food preservative E203 Calcium Sorbate
Food preservative E209 Para-hydroxybenzoic acid heptyl ester