Calories: 34 kcal.
The energy value of the broccoli product:
Fat: 0.37 g.
Carbohydrates: 6.64 g.
Broccoli — An annual plant of the Cabbage family. There are many varieties of this vegetable, but most often they use exactly the sort of kalbreze. The head of cab has the shape of an umbrella with a thick stem and a huge number of green blossoms connected with each other (see photo). Because of this, many people call broccoli «brains».
The Mediterranean is considered to be the birthplace of this type of cabbage, and from there the vegetable has already reached Europe and has spread throughout the world. On our territory, broccoli appeared about 20 years ago.
Choosing broccoli cabbage is simple enough at first glance, but if you go into details, it may turn out that your chosen vegetable does not meet expectations. To prevent this, we will tell you in detail about how to select and store ripe broccoli, as well as how this product looks.
The best period for buying cabbage in the store is the end of August and the beginning of September, because at this time broccoli begins to ripen and becomes suitable for food. In addition, there are several recommendations, based on which you can choose high-quality and fresh cabbage in the store.
- The leaves of fresh cabbage should have a rich green color, and the stalks should be thin and elastic. Thick stems will mean that the vegetable is already overripe, which is why its gastronomic qualities will not be the same as those of fresh cabbage.
- Broccoli should not be dried or rotted.
- You can buy frozen cabbage, but pay attention to the ice layer: if it is too thick, it is better to look for another product, because by buying this, you will overpay for water.
- Pay attention to the appearance of the vegetable. It should not be stained, and the inflorescences should be dense and elastic. Also, the inflorescences should not be dissolved, as such cabbage will become sluggish and overly soft during the cooking process.
- Broccoli should have a rich green color, sometimes violet or burgundy shades are allowed, but there should be no yellow color on vegetables.
Broccoli cabbage tends to deteriorate quickly, so it is important to store it properly. If you want to use vegetables a few days or weeks after picking or buying, freezing cabbage would be an ideal option. To do this, it is neatly divided into inflorescences and washed well. After that, you need to lay out broccoli on a clean cloth to make the glass water, and then decompose the vegetable into plastic containers, subsequently storing them in the freezer. Thus, you can store broccoli for up to six months.
If you want to store the cabbage in the refrigerator, then you need to wash it immediately before cooking. Put broccoli in a bag, but do not tie it. Put the product in the fridge and use it as needed. Thus, broccoli can be stored for up to two weeks.
Due to its beneficial composition and low calorie content, broccoli is included in the permitted menu of a huge number of diets. The unique properties of this vegetable include the fact that it protects blood vessels from damage caused by high blood sugar. So in the diet of diabetics and lovers of sweets must certainly be broccoli.
In this kind of cabbage there are active substances that have the ability to favorably influence the work of the nervous system and heart. Even in broccoli there is chlorophyll, which has a positive effect on the composition of the blood. It is also worth noting a large amount of fiber, which is in the plant. Thanks to this broccoli has the ability to accumulate, and then excrete toxins and harmful substances. Coarse fibers that are not digested promote cholesterol excretion.
Even in broccoli is essential for the body amino acids, for example, serotonin referred to as the “hormone of happiness.” Folic acid, which is in the vegetable will be useful for women, as it resists early aging of the body and promotes the formation of new cells. In addition, there is broccoli beta carotene and omega-3 fatty acids, promote the removal of harmful cholesterol from the body, and they also improve the functioning of the heart and normalize blood pressure.
Do not forget that there is broccoli calcium and other nutrients that are aimed at strengthening bones and teeth, which means the vegetable will be useful for older people, children, pregnant and lactating women.
A broccoli diet is ideal for those who want to lose weight quickly. Different sources say that, following this diet, you can lose five to eight pounds in two weeks. Since broccoli is a very useful product, eating it will help not only lose weight, but also enrich the body with vitamins. In our article you can read the recommendations that will help you quickly lose weight with broccoli.
Cooking vegetables is best steamed or eat raw. Frying or baking broccoli is not recommended. The diet period is ten days, the week of which falls on the main phase, and the remaining three days on the auxiliary one. To achieve the best result, it is desirable to combine a diet on broccoli with physical activity. The ideal option is gymnastics or pilates. We suggest you take note of a table in which you can see the list of products for each day. Be sure to follow these recommendations — and the first results will be noticeable in a week!
The first and second days of the diet are particularly difficult, since at this time it is important not to break. In no case should you skip breakfast. In the morning, it is recommended to eat two hundred grams of raw or steamed broccoli, up to fifty grams of rye bread and one cup of skimmed milk or yogurt.
For lunch, you should make chicken fillet soup and drink two hundred and fifty milliliters of broth, as well as eat two hundred grams of boiled chicken. All this should be sewn broccoli in the amount of one hundred and fifty grams.
Dinner should consist of the following products: two hundred and fifty grams of raw broccoli and two small raw carrots. Cabbage is allowed to season with garlic, green onions and a small amount of olive oil. Wash down dinner is not recommended.
Raw broccoli with bell peppers, vegetables can be steamed and seasoned with chopped garlic. Allowed to drink water with lemon juice, but not carbonated.
Two hundred grams of boiled chicken or tuna, two hundred grams of raw or steamed broccoli and two small tomatoes.
One bell pepper and two hundred grams of fresh broccoli.
Chicken or turkey ham in the amount of one hundred and fifty grams, raw broccoli cabbage (one hundred grams) and one cup of nonfat homemade yogurt.
Two hundred grams of raw broccoli cabbage, a slice of rye bread and one hundred grams of low-fat cheese.
Two hundred grams of boiled veal or beef, two hundred grams of raw or steamed broccoli.
A hundred grams of broccoli and two boiled chicken eggs, a glass of skim milk or kefir.
Three hundred milliliters of lean chicken fillet soup, two hundred grams of raw broccoli and one hundred grams of boiled chicken meat.
One glass of freshly squeezed tomato juice and two hundred grams of cabbage.
Two medium carrots, a glass of skimmed milk and one hundred and fifty grams of broccoli.
Two hundred grams of steamed cabbage, two hundred grams of boiled chicken fillet without salt and spices, a slice of rye bread.
Two potatoes, boiled in uniforms, and two hundred grams of broccoli.
Please note that you need to exit this diet carefully, gradually increasing the amount of food you eat and adding new ingredients. Flour, sweet and fatty foods should be consumed in small quantities only a month after the end of the diet. Also, be aware of how you feel: if you feel unwell or have a taste of acetone in your mouth, you should end the diet.
If you are allergic to this product, as well as gastric and duodenal ulcers, gastritis and colitis, it is contraindicated to lose weight with this diet.
In cooking, broccoli has found quite wide application. Most often it is eaten boiled, lightly roasted, stewed, raw or steamed..
Heat treatment should last no more than 6 minutes, the only way to save the maximum amount of nutrients and the incredible taste of the vegetable.
Since broccoli is a non-starchy vegetable, it can be combined with various foods. Most often this type of cabbage used for making soups, sauces, stews, salads and various side dishes.
There are many ways to cook broccoli at home. In our article we will describe in detail how to do it correctly.
If you have delicious fresh cabbage, you can cook a lot of delicious dishes from it. Broccoli can be cooked, fried, baked, stewed, as well as steamed or grilled. Here are the basic recommendations for the preparation of this product:
- Boil broccoli in a saucepan for about seven minutes. Water should be slightly salted. The flame should not be made too large, it is better to set it at the very minimum when the water in the pot boils. In a double boiler, the vegetable should be cooked for ten minutes, and then left under the closed lid for another three or four minutes to allow the cabbage to stew. For the preparation of mashed broccoli product must be cooked for at least half an hour.
- To fry broccoli cabbage, it must first be washed and divided into florets. A fresh vegetable is fried for five to seven minutes until cooked, and if the cabbage was cut about a week ago, it is dipped in boiling water for three minutes before frying, and only then sent to the pan. It is not necessary to pour too much oil.
- Bake broccoli should be as follows. Divide the vegetable into inflorescences, having previously washed it, and turn on the oven, heating it to a temperature of two hundred degrees. Mix cabbage with vegetable oil, salt and chopped garlic. Cover the baking tray with parchment and place broccoli florets on it, then send it all into a preheated oven. You can bake cabbage with other vegetables. Roasting time — from ten to twenty minutes, depending on the power of your oven.
- You can also stew broccoli with asparagus or other vegetables, as well as chicken fillet and zazharkoy. To get a delicious stew from cabbage, you must rinse it and divide it into inflorescences, then put them on a cold frying pan. In the container, add no more than one hundred grams of water and put the pan on the fire. Cover broccoli and leave for 5-10 minutes to boil. When the water in the tank begins to boil, add a little sour cream, as well as a pre-cooked zazharka, salt and pepper, mix the ingredients and leave to stew for about five minutes.
- Grilling broccoli is very easy. To do this, you should disassemble the product into inflorescences, boil water in a saucepan and put the vegetable there for three to five minutes. After cooking, you must immediately throw the cabbage into the water with ice. Then mix the olive oil and lemon zest, pour the liquid into the broccoli, place it on a baking sheet and place on the grill grid. Cooking cabbage in this way takes no more than six minutes.
You can choose any method of cooking fresh broccoli cabbage, and you can also use it for cooking and as an independent snack.
There is a small list of products with which broccoli is combined. Using our simple tips, you can cook very tasty dishes at home.
If you are going to use this vegetable for the preparation of a side dish, then it will suit the dishes of boiled, fried or baked fish. Also, cabbage is suitable for poultry meat, especially for turkey or baked chicken.
As for other vegetables, broccoli goes very well with onions, garlic, beans and asparagus. You can cook a delicious salad from these products or stew them in a frying pan. Also carrots and boiled corn are great for this cabbage.
Try experimenting with foods, as fresh broccoli can go well with many other vegetables, as well as meat and fish.
The benefits of broccoli are indisputable. Many believe that this type of cabbage is not only an excellent prevention, but it also able to cure many cancers, since there are substances of sulforane, which have the ability to prevent the occurrence of cancer cells. In addition, in broccoli there are other substances that not only prevent the division of cancer cells, but also strengthen the immune system.
Considering the fact that broccoli has vitamin C and sulfur, as well as amino acids, she is considered an excellent detoxifier. These substances make it possible to remove free radicals from the body, which in turn purifies the blood and helps eliminate such problems: boils, rash, gout, arthritis, rheumatism, eczema, etc.
Many doctors recommend that patients who are undergoing cataract treatment use broccoli in their recovery diet, because it has substances that favorably affect the state of the lens and retina.
The benefits of broccoli for men is that the use of this product helps prevent prostatitis, as well as cancer of the prostate. In combination with fish and seafood cabbage improves the potency and reproductive functions of the body. For women, broccoli will also be useful during lactation and during pregnancy. Also, regular use of this product will help prevent diseases such as mastopathy, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and breast cancer. It is very useful to eat fresh broccoli cabbage to improve the condition of the skin of the face, as well as hair and nails.
For young children or infants, you can make a delicious vegetable puree, which is suitable for the first feeding.
There is a list of diseases in which the use of cabbage can benefit the body:
- With pancreatitis, cholecystitis and diseases of the pancreas, broccoli can be introduced into the diet in small quantities, but at times of exacerbation of the disease it is better to reduce the use of cabbage to a minimum or completely eliminate it, while this period lasts.
- In diabetes of the first and second type, eating broccoli is very useful. Due to its medicinal properties, the use of cabbage reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases, as well as slows down the process of destruction of blood vessels.
- As for diseases of the thyroid gland, here the opinions of experts differ. Some believe that it is very useful to use broccoli in thyroid, while others say that eating cabbage makes it difficult for the body to absorb the necessary amount of iodine, so eating such a product is harmful. Anyway, it is better to consult your doctor if you are going to eat broccoli for thyroid disease.
- For diarrhea and diarrhea, it is recommended to add a small amount of broccoli to the diet. She, unlike cauliflower, is not weak, but stronger. For this reason, constipation is not recommended to eat vegetables. In some people, gas formation may occur due to the use of broccoli. If you are puffed up after dishes that include cabbage, but this does not cause much discomfort, you should not completely remove the vegetable from the diet. You can simply reduce the amount of consumption of the product.
- People with liver diseases such as hepatitis, broccoli are eaten with immortelle seeds and carrots. Also on the basis of these products often cook broths that help with hypothyroidism.
Before including broccoli in the diet, it is better to consult a doctor, as there are individual recommendations on the use of the product for a particular disease.
Broccoli is a vegetable that has no contraindications. It can only harm people who have intolerance to the components of the product.
There are many types and varieties of broccoli cabbage, which differ in color and shape of inflorescences. In our article you can get acquainted with the best varieties of this useful vegetable.
Currently there are about two hundred types of broccoli. Among them are two distinct varieties: Western and Italian cabbage. Western broccoli can be distinguished by conical inflorescences that are yellow, brown or light green in color. Italian cabbage tastes more like asparagus. Eat thin stalks of vegetables, but inflorescences are edible. They are green and small in size.
Among the varieties are the following:
Early ripening varieties ripen quickly enough. The term of their growth and maturation varies from sixty to one hundred days. Mid-season broccoli ripen from one hundred to one hundred thirty days, and late ripening — from one hundred thirty to one hundred fifty.
Among the best varieties are such as «Marathon», «Parthenon», «Fortune», «Ironman», «Tonus», «Monaco», «Lord» and «Linda».
Growing broccoli is quite a challenge. Planting and caring for cabbage needs to be organized properly so that the vegetable will delight you with a large and beautiful harvest.
First you need to choose the broccoli variety that you will grow. It is best to give preference to early ripe varieties, since the harvest from them can be much faster. Having decided on the variety, purchase seeds for seedlings and soak them in a piece of cloth moistened with water. While the seeds are infused, prepare the ground. To do this, mix the sod, humus, some sand and fresh ash. Be sure to make sure that the ground is quite loose, since the seedlings do not like moisture stagnation. Exactly the same soil will need to provide broccoli when planting seedlings in the garden. Choose a place where there will be enough shade. Cabbage grows very poorly in constant heat, it needs coolness.
Lay the seeds in boxes with prepared soil and thoroughly water it. Broccoli loves moisture, so do not allow the soil to become excessively dry. Wait until seedlings appear. Usually this process takes about a month, after which broccoli can be planted in open ground.
Until the plants get stronger, it is necessary to cover the seedlings for the night. Although it can withstand frost down to -7 degrees, broccoli cannot be frozen. The best time for transplanting seedlings is the end of April — the beginning of May. You can get a harvest from such seedlings in August or September.
When planting in open soil, it is necessary to water them thoroughly. After that, watering should be reduced until the broccoli heads are tied. At this moment it is necessary to water cabbage more abundantly.
Particular attention should be paid to the care of broccoli, as there are a large number of pests that can damage the crop.
- In order for cabbage not to take black spots, it is not recommended to plant it in those places where other varieties of cabbage have grown, as well as radishes and radishes.
- To prevent broccoli from spoiling the slugs, crush the egg shells and sprinkle it around the cabbage.
- In order to protect the crop from the encroachments of the caterpillars and butterflies, marigolds are planted next to the beds. Insects do not like the smell of these flowers, so they can not spoil the broccoli.
- Sprinkle the ground on the beds with ash and pepper. This will help get rid of flea beetles that feed on young seedlings.
Harvesting is also an important part of gardening. Broccoli must be harvested when it is ripe. It is very easy to learn: the heads are formed two months after the disembarkation of the seedlings, and ripen in a couple of days. It is necessary to cut cabbage until it has not yet managed to bloom. In addition, it should be done correctly, without pulling a bush out of the ground, since broccoli forms new buds on the side shoots after a few days.
After harvesting ripe heads of broccoli cabbage, freeze them or refrigerate them for use as intended. After that, you can cook delicious and healthy dishes for the whole family.