Strawberry jam can cook each. Anyway, he thinks he can.
But the perfect strawberry jam has a lot of secrets.
Our columnist Natasha Skvortsova reveals all secrets.
Cooking strawberry jam does not tolerate haste and fuss.
So try not to plan other things for this day.
Early in the morning I go to the market and look for grannies with a local berry. Do not rush to cook jam from early varieties of strawberries, and even more so from imported berries. There will be no flavor, no taste, no color.
Wait for the local varieties to ripen. Choose ripe hard berries.
It is desirable that the strawberries were the same size and not very large, then the jam will turn out as from the picture: even, whole berries in a bright transparent syrup.
And no porridge!
I free the purchased berry from the stalks and gently wash it under running water. Then cook syrup: for 1 kg of strawberries I take 1 kg of sugar and 1/4 cup of water, I bring the water to a boil and gradually, in small portions I add sugar to it, mixing it well each time and waiting for it to completely dissolve.
In the ready syrup, carefully shift the strawberries and bring to a boil.
Then take it off the heat and let it stand for a few hours.
Then again I bring to a boil, boil for 3-5 minutes and again give rest.
For the third time, I cook for 15 to 20 minutes and pour it into sterilized jars.
Immediately do not close the covers, and cover with a clean towel.
After 10-15 minutes you can roll.
Cooking time strawberry The jam is very dependent on the size of the berry. It happened that this occupation took me two days, but what a jam it was — a berry to a berry!
The main thing is not to digest strawberry jam.
It should keep a bright, juicy color and not turn brown.
Sometimes a watery berry comes across, and a lot of syrup is obtained.
In such cases, pour it into separate bottles and cork.
I use for impregnation of cake layers at cakes or for preparation of creams or mousses.
If I boil jam from wild strawberries, then the berry is not mine and I cook right away in one go.
The proportions of sugar are the same.
How to diversify strawberry jam
This can be done in many different ways.
The simplest, of course, «special» — that is, with the help of spices.
* If you decide to add cinnamon sticks, cardamom or star anise (together or separately), it is better to boil the jam on the syrup and add spices to the syrup immediately after the sugar has melted.
With these spices, jam can be stored, spreading along with them in banks.
* If you add vanilla pods, cloves, nutmeg or allspice (oh, how delicious it is, strawberry jam with allspice!), Put them in the moment when the jam first boiled and you removed all the foam. Vanilla pods need to be cut in half lengthwise, carefully scrape off the sticky black seeds and add them to the jam along with the pods themselves.
It is better to remove the cloves and nutmeg from the jam after boiling — they are beginning to dominate.
And leave the vanilla.
* If you flavored jam with ground spices, add them at the very end, a couple of minutes before removing from the heat.
From ground spices jam It becomes hazy, but the flavor is guaranteed.
The taste of strawberries goes well with a variety of berries and fruits, but avoid those that give color (blueberries, cherries, black currants).
Do not forget the greens! With others, experiment to your own taste, for example:
* strawberry + rhubarb + zest or citrus slices
* strawberry + mint, basil or tarragon (do not overdo it)
* strawberry + rosemary + yellow plum
* strawberries + peaches or nectarines
* strawberry + sweet cherry + almond
* strawberry + pear + cinnamon
* strawberry + large red grapes
If you want, you can try honey jam — the oldest Russian recipe.
* Remember that this is justified rather with a not particularly fragrant and rather tasteless berry — since even the most neutral honey clogs all other tender smells.
* Take for jam floral or meadow honey — can be sugared.
Drown it on a small fire, collect the foam — and then act in the same way as in the case of jam on the syrup.