Once Sorrento — so called and the city, and the peninsula on which it is located — was a favorite vacation spot of famous Russian writers, poets, artists, musicians.
And the representatives of the Russian royal family were happy to spend the summer months here.
The Sorrentine Peninsula is famous for its thick lemon groves. From their fruits make the famous lemon liqueur. Limoncello (Limoncino). Italian chefs soak them cakes for cakes.
Even popular in Campania rum babu (babà) they do it not with rum, but with lemon liqueur.
In the kitchen of Sorrento — a lot of seafood dishes (but what about: after all, the Tyrrhenian coast!). From the abundance and variety of seafood, eyes just run up: sardines, tuna, eel, king prawns, mussels.
Fish and seafood are always fresh here, the last catch.
Ways to prepare them — a great many.
Recall at least seafood pasta (Pasta con Frutti di Mare) and grilled prawns with lemon juice (Gamberetti alla griglia).
You can try seafood dishes in numerous fish restaurants.
The best of them are located near the port. Marina Piccola and in the village Capo di sorrento.
- Capo di sorrento — a small fishing village that is easy to find if you travel along the narrow road that goes around the peninsula. The road runs through the high chalk mountains, orange, lemon and olive gardens. The village is famous for its hospitality and wonderful seafood specialties, prepared in accordance with Italian traditions.
- Tasso Square — The most famous square of Sorrento, located in the heart of the city. Here, two tourists immediately attract the attention of tourists. The first was set in honor of the great Italian poet Torquato Tasso, who was born and lived in Sorrento in the middle of the XVI century. Another monument was erected in honor of the patron saint of the city — Saint Antonio, a Benedictine monk who accepted a martyr’s death in 830.
- Duomo Cathedral — Catholic cathedral, built in the XI century. The cathedral was reconstructed several times, so over the centuries its appearance changed, for example, the facade restored in the XVIII-XIX centuries is a model of the neo-Gothic style. During the excursions, all tourists are shown the famous font in which the poet Torquato Tasso was baptized in 1544.
- Baroque Church of St. Francis, erected in the XVIII century. The temple is famous for its arches, made in the Sikul-Arabic style. Once a year the famous festival “Sorrentine Musical Summer” takes place in the church yard.
- Villa Comunale(Villa Comunale) — one of the most beautiful parks of Sorrento — with fancy trees, shrubs, fragrant flowers, at the entrance — the Church of St. Francis.
- Basilica of St. Antonio was built in the year 1000. In the interior — paintings of the XV century, fragments of ancient majolica, sculptures by Giuseppe Sammaktino. In the crypt of the basilica is the grave of the patron saint of the city — St. Antonio.
- Cape Sorrento, where among the olive and orange trees you can see various archaeological monuments, villas — for example, the remains of a large Roman villa, rebuilt by patrician Felitsa in 81-96 AD.
- Villa Tritone — one of the most beautiful mansions in Sorrento. Located on top of a hill with a beautiful view of the Gulf of Naples and distant Vesuvius.
Villa Tritone: Rita Pan Culinary School
As early as the 1st century AD, a rich Roman aristocrat Agrippa Postum, the grandson of Emperor Octavian Augustus, built a magnificent estate on this site.
In the Middle Ages, a convent existed at this place, and in the 16th century, after the invasion of Muslim Arabs, the half-painted buildings of the former cloister were rebuilt and inhabited by Dominican monks.
They planted here the first citrus tree brought, according to legend, from the Middle East.
In 1888, the Calabrian baron Labonia, a collector of antiquities, bought this place, built a villa here and set up a garden.
In 1905, a rich American, William Waldorf Astor, bought the villa and rebuilt it in the English style.
Since 1973, Villa Tritone has been owned by spouses Rita and Mariano Pan.
The owner of the villa, Rita Pane, is a famous cook, a sommelier, author of several books on gastronomic topics. From year to year she spends right on the villa cooking courses for all comers.
Each course participant receives as a gift from Rita Pan her book with an autograph in memory of sunny Sorrento.
Travel company offers travel to Sorrento Forsyth.
The tour is designed for six days.
Travelers will take the plane from Moscow to Rome, and a comfortable minibus will take them to Sorrento.
Accommodation is planned in a four-star hotel (breakfast included) in the historic center of Sorrento.
The next day after arrival, classes at the Rita Pan cooking courses begin in the most wonderful, beautiful and historic villa in Sorrento. The lessons will be held for three days, Ms. Pane will treat the gourmet travelers for a lunch with wine.
In his free time, guests can enjoy a varied excursion program.
As a gift, guests will receive the cookbook of Ms. Pan with her autograph, as well as the club card of the travel company. Forsyth.
Travel saga, which gives the right to receive discounts for the organization of future trips.