According to statistics, every Russian eats 3.5 kilograms of buckwheat per year.
But do you know what quality cereals should be, and how to choose them correctly?
Whole grains of buckwheat can be divided into several varieties: the highest, first, second and third.
The variety depends on the presence of impurities and split kernels.
Even 10-20 years ago, our mothers and grandmothers carefully sifted through buckwheat before cooking, because there was a lot of garbage and poor quality grains in the package. Now the situation has changed: in accordance with GOST, in packs of the first and highest grade, it can be no more than 1% of “non-standard”.
The most popular product from modern buyers — brown steamed Jadritsa.
Its advantage in the short term of cooking, about 15 minutes.
For reference: steaming kills the mold spores that may be contained in the grits, reduces its moisture content, and therefore increases the shelf life.
Unfortunately, nutrients — enzymes and antioxidants — are also destroyed during heat treatment.
The chopped buckwheat kernels, like the jarice, can be steamed and not. Piercing cooks even faster, but has culinary limitations.
Crumbly porridge from him not cook.
This buckwheat Zardrika with a short shelf life, having a greenish or yellowish tint. It contains more nutrients because it is not steamed or fried.
Tastes such cereals are quite specific and will appeal to her all.
- Core color — an important indicator. Steamed buckwheat kernels are darker, while their faces are light. And in roasted buckwheat, the color of the cores and faces is the same.
- Grains in high-quality cereals equal in size and shape.
- Look at the bottom of the package: there should not be clusters of crushed grain crumbs.
- Buckwheat buckwheat has a shelf life of no more than 20 months, and has spent a little less: 18 months. Buying buckwheat, be sure find out the date of production and packaging of the product. Do not take the cereal, in which the marking is applied to an additional label that can be easily removed from the package.
- Sure to smell the buckwheat after the purchase. Feel the moldy smell — return back to the store. There is such a product is dangerous to health.
And one more important remark related to the shelf life of products. The real period of time during which buckwheat retains its best properties depends on its humidity.
Have cereals, which you plan to keep for a long time, humidity should be no more than 13%.
Based on this indicator, not all buckwheat can be left for a rainy day.
Andrei Vladimirovich Mosov, Head of the Analytical Bureau of the Expert Center Consumer Union «Roskontrol»: “It is obvious that at home the consumer cannot measure the moisture index of cereals. So, it is better to give up the habit of stocking up for many years. In the composition of any cereal there is a certain amount of fat that tends to rancid.
Rancid buckwheat acquires an unpleasant smell and loses its beneficial properties: it becomes less vitamins, it is worse to boil down and poorly absorbed by the body. «
Which manufacturer makes the best buckwheat — look in the Catalog of checked goods of Roskontrol.