In Russia, on the shelves of stores most types of avocados in late autumn — early winter.
Avocado — the fruit of evergreen tree Perseus American (Persea americana) family of laurel (Lavraceae) from tropical America.
Avocados are also called alligator pear, alligator pear.
Avocados contain at least 11 vitamins and 14 minerals.
It contains a lot of vitamin E — the most important of antioxidants. Oily avocado pulp does not contain heavy fats (all its fats are monounsaturated, as in olive oil) and cholesterol. The pulp of the mature fruit is 30% composed of vegetable fats, which nourish and regenerate tissue cells.
Avocados will help to forget about the dryness of the skin and restore shine to dull hair.
It is useful to eat 1 avocado twice a week, in winter — three times a week (if there are no problems with excess weight).
Exists three varieties of avocado: Mexican, Guatemalan and West Indian.
Have mexican avocado fruits are thin-skinned, and the leaves of the tree when rubbed smell anise. It is a cold-resistant culture that feels good in the subtropics.
Have Guatemalan avocado fruits are large, with a thick peel; these trees are more capricious and less cold resistant.
The most tender variety of avocado — west indian, cultivated mainly in the tropics.
All modern avocado varieties date back to these three species.
For example, varieties cultivated by Russian gardeners mexicol and puebla belong to mexican and the grade fuerte — A hybrid of Mexican and Guatemalan avocado.
Generally in the world there are about 400 varieties of avocado, they differ in shape (round, pear-shaped or oblong), in size (from small, as large as a plum, to large, weighing up to a kilogram) and the taste of the fruit. The color of the skin can also be different, from light green to black and dark purple.
In most cases, avocados either remain green as they mature, or change from green to dark, sometimes even black when mature.
The most common and often found on the shelves of our stores varieties include:
- gwen(Gwen), with medium or large fruits of a round or slightly oblong shape, dark green bumpy skin and yellow-green flesh having a light egg taste;
- zatano(Zutano), an elongated pear-shaped avocado with a smooth, easily removable green peel, the taste of white or yellowish flesh is a bit like an apple;
- read(Reed), with round or oblong fruits, thick, pimply dark green peel and light yellow flesh, taste with a tinge of pear and walnut;
- fuerte(Fuerte), pear-shaped fruit with a smooth shiny skin of green color and delicate sweetish creamy taste;
- pinkerton(Pinkerton), fruits are elongated-pear-shaped with green, rough skin that darkens as they mature and yellowish flesh with a delicate sweetish taste;
- Hass(Hass), the most common, the only commercially available year-round oval fruit with a thick, mature black peel and white or yellowish oily flesh with nutty flavor;
- bacon(Bacon), with oval juicy fruits, covered with a smooth thin dark green skin, the taste is mild;
- mexicol(Mexicola), cold-resistant, rather drought-resistant variety, yielding the greatest yield in the conditions of the Caucasus. Fruits weighing up to 100 g, dark purple, almost black in mature form, ripen in late August-September;
- puebla(Puebla), also a cold-resistant plant, ripens in the Gagra region in November-December, has semi-ovate fruits with dark brown skin, weighing up to 200 g;
- ettinger(Ettinger) It has the shape of a pear with a large bone that is easily released and a soft pulp melting in the mouth. In Israel, from where avocados of this variety are exported to Russia, the etinger is the first variety of the season: it ripens by early autumn (haas, fuerte, pinkerton and reed in Israel matures later).
To cut an avocado, you need to cut it in a circle along the bone, separate the halves from each other, and remove the bone. Do not cut off the skin — it is easily separated from the pulp with a tablespoon.
Thick peel can be used as a salad bowl.
So that the pulp does not darken, sprinkle it with citrus juice — the best is lime juice.
Avocado is a nutritious and digestible product.
For those who need a lot of energy for work during the day or, for example, to climb Kilimanjaro, we recommend the popular andgrowth dish: The avocado (unpeeled) is cut lengthwise into two halves, a bone is taken out, and sunflower, olive or melted butter is poured into the hole, and pepper and salt are poured thickly and eaten with a spoon.
At home to avocados in Mexico, the most famous and popular avocado dish — guacamole sauce.
To cook guacamole at home, peel 1 avocado, cut it in half and remove the bone.
Now peel the small onion and half of the bell pepper.
Put it all in a blender, add a small chilli, a tomato, a little salt, a couple of tablespoons of olive or refined sunflower oil, half or a quarter of the peeled lemon — and grind more coarsely.
The resulting sauce is served with corn tortillas, as well as rice and thin steaks.
In Miami, avocados are made ice cream. Avocados are mixed with frozen milk composition and fruit. It turns out from him and wonderful cocktail — milk coffee plus a small amount of brandy or rum.
There is a cocktail Fiery Martinian (Féroce Martiniquais) — with avocado, onion, garlic, parsley, chili pepper and boiled cod.
Although this is rather a soup.
By the way, there are a lot of avocado soups in the Americas.
If avocados are added to hot dishes, then only at the very end, a couple of minutes until cooked.
If it is kept longer on fire, the avocado will become bitter. Examples of hot dishes are avocados, breaded in flour, fried in olive oil; avocado risotto
In Russia, the largest number of avocados on the shelves of stores — in late autumn — early winter. At that time, Israeli avocados are invariably in stores.
However, Israel’s business, of course, is not limited.
The avocado season from Israel begins at the beginning of autumn and lasts all winter and spring. The California avocado season lasts all year, and the Florida season lasts from late autumn to late spring.
In South Africa, the avocado season begins in April and lasts for several months.
In South and Central America, the seasons of different varieties differ.
Ultimately avocado available year round.
The fruit should be of a uniform color — green, dark green, green-brown, or almost black — but it must be free of spots and peel damage. But the color of the pulp is difficult to determine ripeness.
The fact is that avocados are of several varieties, with different pulp — and yellow, and light green.
It is better to buy avocados unripe. At home they will reach a condition, but the overripe taste is rancid due to rotten fats.
To ripen avocados at home, you need to put the fruit in a paper bag or wrap in paper towels, and then put it in a dark, cool place for 2-4 days. Apples or bananas will help accelerate the ripening of avocados.
Put avocados and bananas or apples in a paper bag, make a few holes in it and put them in a dark place.
The best avocados that can be bought in stores are Israeli (Ettinger, Haas, Read, Fuerte, Pinkerton).
Good avocados are brought from South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Spain.
Some connoisseurs consider the most tasty small round avocados with hilly dark skin.
However, there may be different opinions on this.
Avocado darkens quickly enough, in this case, you will help lemon juice.
If you use only half an avocado, then the second one (with a bone) can be stored for another 1-2 days in the refrigerator, sprinkled with lemon juice and wrapped in plastic wrap.
You can bury an avocado in a flower pot, and you will have a beautiful evergreen tree with a thick trunk, long branches and very large leaves.
For other purposes, the bone is unsuitable, it is tasteless and even poisonous.
Avocado is a nutritious and digestible product. Those who need a lot of energy during the day.
Various avocado salads are the best choice for exploring this wonderful fruit. Totally.
Oddly enough, avocados are fruit. For high fat content it is even called.
Guacamole — traditional Mexican appetizer or avocado sauce. The word.
In Europe, avocados are eaten mostly raw. In modern Mexico, avocados are at a great price. .
Ripe avocado fruit is enough to cut along and turn both halves in opposite.