Decoupage on a tile (48 photos): home-made exclusive ceramics
There are many ways to decorate different rooms of your home with your own hands. In this transformation are subjected to the most mundane and familiar building materials. One example of such an original design is that the pattern on the tile may be the same, or it may be different.
This technique of finishing is especially attractive for those who love to do something with their own hands. About what is decoupage, and how to perform it at home — later in the article.
The pattern on the tile may be the same, or it may be different.
If you were engaged in applique in your childhood, it means that the basic skills of decoupage are already available. After all, decoupage is nothing but sticking to the various surfaces of the cut out figures, as a rule — from paper or fabric.
Almost any facing materials are trimmed in this way. Tile in this regard is no exception. Thanks to its smooth surface and precise geometry, it provides a wide scope for fantasy and provides the high quality of the final composition.
Decoupage is gaining increasing popularity as a decoration method due to several attractive properties:
- Getting from a standard material uniquely finished surface
- Availability and low cost of necessary accessories
- The absence of any requirements for the Executive contractor, except accuracy
Selection of decoupage options
The choice of how to arrange an example of combining decoupage on tile and bathroom equipment is determined primarily by the idea of the landlord.
- Decorating each tile with the same pattern
- Using multiple patterns
- Selective drawing of the pattern (s)
- Creating a panel, where one drawing is located on several tiles
- The combination of decor on the tile with the decoration of other surfaces of the premises
Perhaps a combination of these techniques, however, the list is not exhaustive, because decoupage is good because the author’s imagination is limited only by technical capabilities.
An example of combining decoupage on a tile and bathroom equipment
Decoupage tools and supplies
Acquire everything you need in specialized stationery or art and design stores, or — in large building materials markets. Fortunately, no exotic things are usually required.
The basic tools are ordinary scissors and a soft brush. For most ordinary operations, this is sufficient. However, if you want to create some exquisite pattern — you may need additional accessories.
- Contouring (curly) scissors
- Die Cutting
- Gear rollers
- Paint roller
A set of tools for working with paper and cloth
For a more rapid drying of the layers of glue, varnish and contour, you may also need a regular household hairdryer.
As materials for the basis of decoupage, you can use:
- Special sets of patterns, the rule is on sale
- Plain or tissue paper
- Paper (multilayer) napkins
- the cloth
- Model weight (for creating volumetric images)
However, when the printer refuses to «roll» it. There is an exit.
It is necessary to use tissue paper with double-sided adhesive tape on a regular A4 sheet (the tape cannot be used — it will melt and ruin the cartridge).
The picture should be printed on a laser printer, as inkjet ink will be blurred when applying varnish.
Acrylic or ordinary PVA glue is used as materials for pasting the base (it can give a yellowing pattern).
Complete set for decoupage
To cover you should use one of the following types of varnishes:
All these materials are available in water or alkyd based. I use water options, as alkyd can corrode the image, will certainly give it undesirable yellowness and more difficult to apply.
In addition, they dry much longer and have a persistent peculiar odor, of which water-soluble varnishes are deprived. The list of materials are arranged in order of increasing strength and price.
In case the decoupage of the tile is performed in places with difficult conditions (it is best to use polyurethane varnishes, although they are very expensive.
Their durability to abrasion, chemical reagents, moisture and other influences, the price is quite worth it.
At the request of the author, the finished decoupage can be additionally decorated over the pattern with a pattern. In this case, you also need to purchase special contour colors (paint in a tube with a spout for application).
The working process
You can decorate with decoupage as already laid tile, and that, just going to be laid.
A prerequisite in both cases is the same: the surface to be glued must be cleaned of mechanical impurities and degreased.
- Works begin with cutting decor. If the image fits the size of the tile — they are simply cut into appropriate pieces using scissors or another tool.
If you plan to cover only part of the tile for the bathroom — cut the relevant figures
- Finished elements are stacked on their intended place. In this case, thin and hygroscopic materials, such as napkins, tissue paper or cloth, are covered with glue on top.
Work should be done very carefully so as not to crush the material. For thick paper and other materials, glue should be applied either on the tile or on the decor itself.
Decal Sticker Process
- After the glue dries, a varnish coat is applied — with a brush or roller. Drying can be accelerated with a hair dryer.
- If you need a durable coating — varnish is applied in several layers. There should be at least two of them. Each layer is applied only after drying the previous one.
- If necessary, the image is applied over the lacquer contour. But, he can do and under a varnish — so he will remain longer.
If the image was applied to non-glued tiles, special care should be taken when laying it.
Upon completion of installation, the seams in the thin image should be widened and covered with the appropriate number of varnish layers on top.
Obviously, the decoupage of a tile is an absolutely uncomplicated procedure, and is accessible even to a child. However, she can create her own design, or refresh old tile. And all this — at the cost of very moderate means and efforts!