Plastic panels for the bathroom (51 photos): a great alternative to tile
Plastic panels are a great alternative to the traditional tile when finishing the bathroom. One of the significant advantages of this material is the simplicity of its installation. Consider how to install an example of finishing the bathroom plastic panels — instructions and useful tips will help in the work.
The high humidity in the bathroom and constant temperature drops severely limit the list of coatings that can be recommended for the walls in this room. Traditionally, ceramic tile was used for the bathroom, but if there was a question how to make a budget repair in the bathroom, then this option may be too expensive.
An example of finishing the bathroom with plastic panels
More affordable and at the same time, no less practical option for finishing is fastening plastic panels with a screwdriver made of plastic.
This material is available in widths from 250 to 400 mm and a length of up to 3 meters. The panels can be of different colors, very popular colors, imitating the surface of natural stone — marble or granite.
By setting the screen or panel under the bath of a similar color, you can create a finished composition.
The choice of this option allows you to remove from a prominent place water pipes that do not decorate the bathroom. Using the panel, you can easily perform a hidden eyeliner.
A huge advantage, access to the panel, is a fairly simple method of installation.
Many home masters successfully cope with the finishing of the bathroom, which allows you to save on the salaries of construction crews.
There are several ways to strengthen the panels on the walls.
- Installation on the crate with nails, screws or staples.
- Installation directly on the wall with brackets (this option is possible if the walls in the room are made of wood).
- Installation with liquid nails glue.
- Installation with special mounting profiles.
What method of fastening to choose?
Fixing plastic panels with a screwdriver
If you plan to install the panel in the bathroom, then it is worth staying on the first or last version of installation.
The fact is that the panels are mounted directly on the walls, only in dry rooms, to which the bath can not be attributed in any way.
In addition, the choice of mounting options on the batten or with the help of a special type can be made a hidden tube and install recessed lights.
If necessary, these finishing options allow you to install additional heat or sound insulation.
The great advantage of mounting on the crate or a special profile is the fact that you will not need to spend time and effort to prepare the walls.
When installing the panels directly on the walls, you must first work to achieve perfect smoothness of the base.
Instructions for installing the panels on the crate with screws or brackets
Installation of plastic panels on a wooden crate
Tools and materials required for work:
- Profile for the construction of crates;
- Plastic panels;
- Construction stapler and a set of brackets or screws for mounting panels;
- Hacksaw with a fine tooth and a mounting knife;
- Marker or pencil;
- Building level;
Before you begin to install decorative panels for the bathroom, it is desirable to process the walls at home, to prevent the growth of fungi.
- For the construction of the crates will require wooden bars or plastic profiles.
For repairs in the bathroom, it is better to choose plastic profiles, since the wood will quickly collapse under the action of moisture.
- Profiles are mounted on walls with a pitch of no more than 50 mm, their direction should be perpendicular to the planned installation direction of the panels.
The most rational positioned panel in the bathroom vertically. This option contributes to the rapid abstraction of moisture trapped on the panel.
- The installation of profiles must be constantly monitored using a building level. Otherwise, the panels will not stand smoothly, and the coating will turn out with drops.
- As a rule, mounting over the left corner towards the right or from the corner to the doorway. But this rule is not mandatory. The installation direction is chosen for reasons of convenience.
- In the corner, from which the installation of panels in the bathroom will be started, the finishing element is strengthened — this is a special detail for the installation of plastic panels.
- Each panel has two mounting shelves.
On the left side is a small or narrow shelf, which is inserted into the groove of the previous part.
On the right — a large or wide shelf, which is used for fastening the pan with brackets or screws to the crate.
- The first of the installed panels is inserted into the groove of the corner, which is previously mounted on the wall, by a narrow shelf, and then using a stapler or self-tapping screws, the panel is fastened to the crate along a wide shelf.
- Similarly, all other panels are installed in the bathroom. When installing it is important to ensure that the elements of the coating fit snugly together.
- In the corners of the room, as well as in the junction of the coating to the door jamb and window openings, special mounting parts should be installed, which are called finishing elements. With the help of these details, you can neatly and beautifully arrange any corners and places near the doors and windows.
- In order for the space under the panels to be ventilated, it is necessary to leave a small gap under the ceiling and near the floor. This gap also helps to compensate for changes in the linear dimensions of temperature change panels.
Today it is possible to carry out installation of plastic panels in the bathroom without the use of screws and brackets.
For this purpose, a special plastic mounting profile is used for the construction of the lathing, to which the panels are attached with clips.
Installation of a metal profile for mounting plastic panels on the ceiling
The advantages of using plastic profiles for installation of panels:
- Speed of installation. Snap with the help of a special clip panel to the profile is much easier than screwing a screw or hammer a nail.
- There is no risk of damaging the application panel when mounting fixtures.
- The profile is made of environmentally safe plastic, therefore eliminates the formation of mold on it, as well as its warping under the action of steam and moisture.
- No need to purchase a special tool for fixing panels, for example, a construction stapler or a screwdriver.
- If it becomes necessary to dismantle a part of the coating (for example, for access to concealed wiring), bathroom cladding panels can be removed without damage.
How to install plastic panels on glue?
If the bathroom is ideally flat walls and excellent ventilation, the installation of plastic panels on the glue of the room can be attached without the construction of crates.
To do this, use glue, such as «liquid nails».
In no case is used for the sticker panels adhesive compositions, which include solvents of organic origin.
Consider how to make panels in the bathroom using glue.
- Putty knife.
- Brush for applying glue.
- Rag or sponge to remove excess adhesive composition.
Installation of plastic panels on glue
- First you need to prepare the base well by aligning and cleaning it.
- If the property has the ability to absorb moisture (for example, it is a concrete wall), then it should be primed using wallpaper glue, diluted in half with water.
- The adhesive composition for the panels should be applied with a brush over the entire surface of the glued part. Especially carefully need to miss the edge.
- The panels are glued to the wall alternately. Every detail should be well pressed and fixed for a few seconds. Glue has excellent adhesion, so additional support for already surrounding elements is not necessary.
- Speaking of excess glue should be immediately removed with a sponge or cloth.
After all the panels for the bathroom are installed, the installation can be considered finished.
Basic installation errors
When repairing the bathroom with your own panels, it is important to avoid the following common mistakes:
- Do not bend or crush panels. This will give them an unappealing look.
- If the panels have a protective film, do not remove it in advance, it will help to preserve the look of the coating.
- When cutting the panels should use a hacksaw with a tooth pitch of not more than 1 mm. When using a picket with a larger tooth, it is difficult to avoid the formation of burrs.
- Cutting panels should always be on the front side.
- When cleaning the panels can not use organic solvents and other chemicals, not necessarily in the instructions for care, otherwise the panels may appear stains that can not be removed.
Plastic panels are a practical and inexpensive material for interior decoration, including the bathroom. Simple installation rules allow installation without the involvement of professional builders, especially when repairing a small bathroom.