Decorative garden: features of creation and design
If you want to be engaged in a dacha or a house adjoining site, then try to create an unusual ornamental garden. Show your imagination and use some of the techniques of landscape design to achieve the goal.
Creating a decorative garden involves solving two problems at once. The first is, of course, the cultivation of vegetables, because the plot, above all, will be allocated precisely for the breakdown of the beds. But the second task is decorating the space. That is, the garden should be not only functional, but also attractive. Therefore, it is not enough to select suitable crops, plant them and provide care. It is necessary to think over everything and use the methods of landscape design, so that the garden will not only bring harvest and provide natural products, but also be a place where it is pleasant to be and you can get aesthetic pleasure.
What to consider when creating an ornamental garden?
Creating a decorative garden, you should consider a few important points:
- The size of the plot. If the area is large enough, then you can count on significant annual harvests and grow vegetables not only for your own needs, but also for sale. You can get a full, albeit a miniature farm. Also, large dimensions will allow you to fit everything you need on the site, and at the same time bring all your ideas and fantasies to life. If the area is small, then try to keep decorative, and not to focus on productivity, because a fully planted garden may lose its appeal. In other words, there may simply not be enough space for decoration.
- The location of the site. You have two options. The first is to completely occupy all the land in the garden. The second option is to take a separate section for the breakdown of the beds. And the second way is more preferable, because it is still better to leave free space, which can be used for a garage or carport, a playground or garden decoration. But it is important to choose a suitable zone. Firstly, it should be sufficiently illuminated, because the sun’s rays are necessary for the proper development and active growth of plants. Secondly, one should not choose a plot, standing in a lowland, as water will flow in it, which will lead to accumulation of moisture and rotting of the roots. Thirdly, the ornamental garden should be in the open and in sight, so that all residents and guests have the opportunity to fully appreciate it.
- The soil. An equally important step in creating an ornamental garden is the preparation of the soil. In order for any plants to take root, grow and produce crops, the land must be fertile, so it must be fertilized in advance. If the soil has not previously been used for growing or not fitting for this, then it makes sense to change its composition, for example, another layer or its top layer.
- Tasks. Decide what you need a garden for, how you plan to use it, what goals will be prioritized. If you are counting on great harvests and plan to sell vegetables, then choose the most popular crops and unpretentious and fruiting varieties. Orientation on the volume and use of space of the site as efficiently as possible. If you want to grow vegetables only for yourself and your family, then you should not plant all the land, you need quite a few not very large beds. The rest can be used for decoration.
- What crops do you plan to grow? Decide in advance what you would like to see in your garden which vegetables you like best. On this depends the filling of the beds and their location, because different cultures require different conditions of detention. Although among them there are those that are categorical not combined, but still some plants, on the contrary, normally tolerate the neighborhood and feel comfortable in prefabricated beds.
We make a plot plan
Before you start creating a garden, you should draw up a detailed plan for it, which will allow you to distribute all the plants, arrange the beds and decorative elements correctly, use the space as rationally as possible and make the plot comfortable.
The main stages of making a garden plan:
- First, make a diagram of your site, taking into account its lighting, as well as the location and location of all the basic elements and communications: houses, utilitarian buildings, water pipes and so on. Based on this, you can choose the most appropriate areas for growing certain crops, as well as designate their boundaries. But do not forget to leave free space for movement on the ground.
- If the location and boundaries of the beds, then proceed to the schematic construction of communications. Their main elements are the tracks with the help of which you will navigate around the site. It is important to ensure free access to all the beds in order to be able to freely and comfortably carry out their watering and harvesting.
- If you plan on the site not only to grow vegetables, but also to relax, then be sure to provide for the designated area. It is best to arrange them somewhat in isolation, that is, not in the garden, in its far corners or near the fence. And to relax was comfortable, you should make the site spacious enough.
- Next, consider zoning. Decide how you will divide the beds, divide all the space of the garden, mark those or other of its sites, isolate some zones and so on. For these purposes, you can use a variety of fences, such as curbs, fences, and so on.
Choosing a style
For a decorative garden, it was really beautiful, you can choose and use a certain style to design it.
The most popular and interesting directions and their characteristic features:
- The classics are clear lines, strict forms and borders.
- English style is characterized by a free arrangement of basic elements, naturalness and the absence of symmetry and clear boundaries.
- Country — a relaxed and natural country style, reminiscent of American farms.
- French style is an elegance of forms, clarity of lines, symmetry and harmony.
- Oriental style is cheerful, colorful, diverse, colorful and bright.
- Mediterranean style brings dreams of the sea and the southern resorts. Used picturesque plants, homemade accessories.
- Free style implies the absence of any rules and frameworks.
- Modern is the smoothness of lines, the absence of angles and clear borders, unusual decorative elements, elegant plants.
- Scandinavian style is characterized by conciseness and natural natural beauty.
- Alpine style is a mountain landscape.
- Minimalism — expressiveness in simplicity.
Registration of beds
The main elements of the ornamental garden will, of course, be the beds. And so that they look neat, well-groomed, attractive and stylish, you should carefully consider their design. It can conclude in the following form of techniques:
- Clear and original borders. They can be designated with the help of decorative borders, low hedges, including those made from scrap materials, such as boards, rods, bottles, car tires, and so on.
- Use bright vegetables. (Broccoli, kale, color, white), beard chard, ornamental gourds, leaf lettuce, decorative, transparent, transparent, varieties of onions, corn and others.
- The combination of different cultures. For example, you can focus on a variety of shades and create several multi-colored compositions. Moreover, the brighter and more contrasting the tones will be, the more attractive and original will be the garden. You can also create multi-level beds, different cultures in a stepwise manner. Try to create group figure compositions.
- For framing the beds you can use greens, for example, basil, dill, parsley, mint, sage, and so on. Moreover, it is advisable to choose fragrant varieties so that the garden will be filled with pleasant aromas, this will create a special atmosphere.
Landscaping and garden paths
Although the beds in any case will be green, you can plant greenery and the whole garden. For this free space of the earth plant lawn grass. You can also organize and vertical gardening, for example, to let on the fence climbing plants. In addition, boldly use the flowers to make the garden even more attractive and bright, and also filled with fragrance.
Do not forget to take care of the tracks. Of course, you can leave them natural, that is, created while you are traveling around the site (in other words, trodden). But if you are interested in their design, the garden gets a neat, attractive and well-groomed appearance.
There are lots of ways to design tracks. For example, you can lay them out with paving stones or decorative paving tiles. You can also fill them with concrete and create patterns using special stencils and shapes. Try to use practically any available materials: boards, pebbles, fragments of ceramic tiles, and so on.
Fence and recreation areas
The fence is an integral and important part, and it can be used not only to mark the borders and protect the space, but also for additional decoration.
Several interesting design options for the fence:
- Painting. And you can not just cover the entire fence with a single-color paint, but also use several tones or create bright images.
- Use a decorative fence mesh, which can be both an independent decorative element, and the basis for a more interesting design.
- Decorate the fence with plants.
- If you are planning to replace the fence, then choose not the usual boardwalker, but the more original, for example, forged elements created from twigs, decorated with decorative brick or masonry.
To be able to not only work in the garden, but also to relax, equip a recreation area. It is not necessary to isolate it, so you will be able to enjoy the views of plants and fresh air. But seating is needed, so consider them. You can use wicker chairs or miniature sofas, benches and even a hammock. And here you can arrange a table at which it will be convenient to arrange picnics or feasts.
Tip: build a mini-gazebo to do conditionally isolated, as well as protected from direct sunlight and wind.
For garden decor, you can use various accessories: garden figures, street lanterns and so on. And also try to create decorative elements with your own hands, and from improvised or even unnecessary materials, for example, old basins, broken inventory, carts. Approach responsibly to the creation and decoration of the ornamental garden so that it becomes your favorite place.