Decorative fountains: varieties, design and manufacture of their own hands
In order to house or garden plot was transformed and acquired a special charm, decorate it with the help of a reservoir. For decoration of landscape design are widely used decorative fountains. Choose the appropriate option and try to make such a reservoir with your own hands.
Decorative fountain: is it needed?
The decorative fountain performs, above all, the function of decoration. And this element has several advantages:
- This is a bright and elegant element that absolutely exactly transforms and refreshes any design or even becomes a certain highlight or chic accent.
- Like any other reservoir, the fountain will perfectly refresh the air and create a corner of coolness on a hot hot day.
- It is pleasant to observe water: a descending swirling stream or several streams going down are able to create a relaxing atmosphere, to distract from bad thoughts. And the characteristic sounds of water will help to achieve harmony and unity with nature.
- A fountain placed in a specific place can be used to adjust the territory or its design. So, he can completely close the utility room.
There is a downside, expressed in some minuses:
- Installation requires some maintenance and periodic monitoring. So, the tank needs to be cleaned so that the garbage does not block the pump. In addition, you should time to troubleshoot all hardware problems.
- Since the pump is powered by electricity, the operation of the fountain will inevitably entail appropriate costs, especially if the installation will work for an extended period of time.
What are the fountains?
Fountains can be very diverse. So, based on the family, allocate home or indoor and outdoor. It is clear that the former are used for interior decoration of premises, and the latter are installed in open spaces and are part of landscape design.
Depending on the fountain device, the following varieties are distinguished:
- Stationary. Such a fountain is a full-fledged independent structure consisting of several main parts, namely, a bowl, a pipeline, a pump and a nozzle. A stationary installation can look like an elegant sculpture and have almost any form, limited only by the laws of physics and the fantasy of the author.
- Submersible. The fountain of this type is installed in an existing reservoir, that is, in the finished bowl. Accordingly, the installation consists only of the nozzle, hose or pipe and pump.
If behind the base you can choose such types as:
- The most common and simplest option is the jet fountain, which is equipped with a pipe, ending with a nozzle with a narrowed nozzle. Water is supplied under pressure, is divided into separate streams and falls down, that is, into the bowl.
- A more interesting option is a cascade fountain that resembles a waterfall. This installation is a combination of sprayers, in which the flow of water at different levels of height and under different pressure. As a result, peculiar steps are formed.
- «Bell». This installation consists of two parallel disks. Water flows through the space remaining between them and drops like a kind of bell. Jet dimensions can vary through flow head adjustments.
- «Tulip». Such a fountain, in essence, is a subspecies of the «bell» and differs from it in the shape of a jet resembling a flower of the same name. This is achieved by placing parallel discs at a certain angle.
- A “fish tail” is a somewhat transformed “tulip” in which water is supplied upwards, but separated by streams, with the result that the flow really looks like a fish’s tail fin.
The annular lantern is equipped with a curved and shaped tube, in which holes are placed at certain equal intervals. When water is supplied through them, a stream is formed that is very similar to a ring. A fountain in the form of a hemisphere or hemisphere. This is a complex installation, which consists of several connected special themes, parallel disk nozzles. When water is supplied under pressure, the jet acquires an unusual spherical shape and a spectacular appearance.
Forms and sizes
Dimensions, as well as the shape of the fountain, can be practically any, but you should still be guided by common sense and remember that it will be more complicated than the large installation, the more complex care it will require.
So, the bowl of the fountain can be both symmetrical and non-standard asymmetric. The shape can be rectangular, round, oval, rhomboid, square, triangular, figured and any other, for example, repeating the contours of the silhouette of an animal, insect or even a person. In addition, the fountain can be a complex multi-level or a state of several interconnected containers, and each can have a separate nozzle and be part of a kind of installation water.
Decorative fountains can be made in different styles. Belonging to a particular direction, depending on the type, shape, size, and materials used for manufacturing or decoration.
Several interesting options:
- The classical fountain can be made in the form of a symmetrical stone, plaster or ceramic bowl and a stream in the form of a stream or bell.
- A chic English-style fountain will have a bowl of unusual shapes, complemented by stucco.
- Luxurious bronze or gilded installation in the form of a full-fledged sculpture corresponds to such colorful directions as baroque and rococo.
- The fountain, decorated in eco-style, resembles a natural waterfall and should look as natural as possible. An ideal variant of execution is a container immersed in the ground and a nozzle disguised with stones, personifying the rock from which water flows fall down.
- In country style, a thematic setting made from a wooden barrel or even a cart will organically fit in.
- Provence style allows and welcomes romantic sculptures in the form of angels or sophisticated girls. And the figure could be slightly flaky or cracked.
- The laconic stone fountain will complement the restrained Japanese landscape design.
- A sophisticated automatic installation made of plastic, glass or chrome-plated metal and complemented by lighting will fit into the modern high-tech direction.
- The fountain of unusual forms underlines the irregularity of creative styles, such as modern and pop art.
Installation can be framed using a variety of materials. Thus, the bottom of the bowl and the frame in which the pipe and the nozzle will be hidden can be tiled or mosaic-tiled. But other design options are also available: painting, finishing with stone or clay, decor with improvised elements and so on.
Where to place the fountain?
How to choose a suitable place to place the fountain? First, it will be better if such a bright element is placed in a prominent place so that it is clearly visible from all directions and with any points of the plot, otherwise the decorative meaning will be erased. Secondly, it is better to place the installation on an elevation, otherwise the water will accumulate and stagnate in the bowl. Thirdly, it is advisable to hide the fountain from direct sunlight, since they can provoke a «bloom» and the green tint and unpleasant smell associated with it. Fourth, remove the water from the trees so that their leaves do not fall into the bowl and do not clog the pump.
Tip: prepare the free space to come or go near, and while it was not closed by other elements of landscape design.
Decorative fountain do it yourself
The original decorative fountain can be made with your own hands, it is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance. First you need to prepare the necessary tools, materials and accessories:
- Capacity, which will play the role of the bowl. You can use a barrel or even an old bath, but the product must be intact, intact and strong enough to withstand the volume of water.
- Pipe or tight and durable hose (preferably reinforced) for water supply.
- Pump equipment.
- Waterproofing materials, for example, dense PVC film.
- At first it is necessary to dig a ditch, by the sizes of the corresponding chosen capacity.
- At the bottom of the pit pour a layer of sand with a thickness of about 10-15 centimeters. Well tamp it down.
- Next, place the bowl in the prepared recess so that its edges protrude several centimeters above the ground level. Cover the container with waterproofing material to prevent leakage.
- Installation of pumping equipment, as well as a filter for water treatment and a nozzle that will create a jet under a certain pressure and a given shape.
- Wire away from the water and connect to the mains.
- Turn on the equipment and evaluate its performance. Correct the mistakes made.
Advice: for the fountain to serve as long as possible, regularly evaluate the serviceability of the devices, as well as clean the bowl of debris falling into it.
Install a decorative fountain on your site so that it transforms the landscape design and becomes a bright accent and central place of the territory.