Children’s furniture: criteria for choosing furniture for a children’s room
Arranging a child’s room is a crucial process. And its important stage is the furnishing, which allows not only to fill the room, but also to make it functional, as comfortable and safe as possible. Find out what should be the right children’s furniture.
What should be modern furniture?
There are many different requirements for children’s furniture:
- Safety is paramount, so any item should have this quality. And it consists of several moments. The first is the absence of sharp corners. Modern and corresponding to generally accepted standards, the furniture has special rounded trims fixed at the edges of the object and minimizing the risks of impacts. The second point is sustainability. If a heavy and massive object is unstable, it can fall on the child and cause him injury. The third point is environmental friendliness. It could be singled out as a separate item, but this factor also has the most direct impact on safety, so all materials and coatings must be environmentally friendly and harmless. And one more thing — reliability. All mounts must be strong and of high quality.
- Functionality and ergonomics. If earlier each piece of furniture performed only its specific functions, then modern models can be functional and used not only for the main purpose, but also for other purposes. So, beds are equipped with boxes for linen, and it is very convenient.
- Matching age. Of course, the furniture should correspond to the age characteristics of the child, so if you buy, for example, a bed for a baby, then it should have sides. But modern models can literally «grow» with the owner. For example, a side of a bed, height of a seat of a chair, length of a berth and so on.
- Comfort and ease of use. The furniture should be such that the child can use it independently and without effort. For this reason, you should not buy models equipped with complex mechanisms that require a specific sequence of actions in the nursery. The young owner of the room is unlikely to appreciate it, it is much more important for him to get access to everything needed, to easily and easily use all the functions of the furniture, as well as if you want to change the look of the interior.
What to consider when choosing furniture?
In order for the furniture to comply with everything higher than necessary, and, not least, the child liked it, its choice should be guided by the following criteria:
What could be the furniture?
Children’s furniture, as well as adult, can be made in different variations. There are such types as:
- Cabinet furniture appeared first and until recently was the only available and, accordingly, the most popular. Any object has a durable case that provides spaciousness, but at the same time contributing to the size and bulkiness. Cabinet furniture is limited in ease of operation, but usually has a concise design and is used only for its intended purpose, and the whole method.
- Furniture transformer — a more modern version, gradually gaining popularity. One item can change configuration and perform several different functions. For example, a chest of drawers can be used as a changing table, a comfortable chair can turn into a sofa and replace a full-sized bed.
- Folding furniture can be considered a kind of transforming. The most widely used items are folding chairs and sofas. But also more complex models can take shape. For example, on sale you can find beds in which the bed rises and retracts into the closet.
- Another modern option is modular furniture. It represents a whole complex consisting of individual modules. And these elements are not fixed and do not communicate with each other, which allows you to change the shape, configuration and size, as well as organically fit the furniture in any interior.
- There is also built-in furniture, but those may not be all items, but only some. The most striking example is the wardrobe. It looks almost like usual, but does not have a back wall (sometimes from above too) and as close as possible to the wall, which replaces part of the body. This allows you to organically enter the subject into the interior and save space.
For the manufacture of children’s furniture can only be used high-quality, harmless, environmentally friendly, safe and hypoallergenic materials. It meets all these requirements: it does not emit harmful substances and contributes to the creation of a favorable microclimate, has high strength and excellent durability. But the furniture from the massif of a tree has the big weight and considerable dimensions. A natural raw material can be exposed to some environmental factors, for example, to deform due to temperature drops or rot at high humidity.
An alternative to wood is a modern and practical MDF material. It is durable, retains its original characteristics and external qualities, is durable, and is not deformed even after disassembly and reassembly. The cost is average and depends on the manufacturer and some individual indicators (thickness, coating, and so on).
Another popular material is chipboard. But this is not the best option for the manufacture of children’s furniture, as for the formation of chipboard used adhesive substances that can release in the present environment of dangerous formaldehyde. To save money and avoid negative consequences, you should choose furniture from chipboard class E1 (for the production of various safe resins).
Some individual items may be made of plastic. It is lightweight, easy to maintain and durable enough. But all these qualities have only high-quality and completely safe material. Poor quality plastic can be subject to mechanical stress and even release hazardous compounds.
We should also write about the materials used for the manufacture of upholstery of sofas and mattresses. They must be natural, hypoallergenic, sufficiently dense, strong and durable, as well as «breathing» and evaporating moisture.
What furniture for the arrangement of the children’s room?
What children’s furniture must necessarily be present in the interior of the child’s room? It depends on the areas of the premises, and usually stands out a few: sleeping, educational, games and intended for storage. Each is worth considering in more detail.
To ensure the most comfortable and proper sleeping area, use a bed. If the child is small, then bumpers will be useful to minimize the risks of accidental fall during sleep. The mattress is usually purchased separately, and it must be hard enough to provide support for the fragile children’s spine. It is possible to replace the bed with a sofa, which will be not only with comfort, but also for relaxation or pleasant spending time with friends.
Educational furniture is required for a child older than 5-6 years old who begins to prepare for school, attends it, or simply engages in creative work, such as drawing or modeling. First of all, you need a table. It is important to choose the right size for the young owner to be comfortable in the workplace.
Another component of the training area is, of course, the chair. For a baby, it is better to choose a chair, but an older child will be comfortable in a mobile wheelchair that resembles an office chair. But it will differ in size, position of the back and colors.
For arranging a complete storage area it is best to use a spacious wardrobe. And the best option would be a compact and comfortable coupe-type model with sliding doors. Facades can be complemented with mirrors, which is useful during the fitting of clothes and fees to school or kindergarten.
If everything in the closet does not fit, then add it to the chest of drawers, in which it is convenient to store bed and underwear. But such pieces of furniture often break, so choose the highest-quality model with modern and reliable mechanisms for moving boxes.
In the play area, you can place a sports corner with crossbars and rings or a wall of a wall, with the help of which the child develops physically, improve health and improve some skills.
Finally, some tips for parents:
- For the preference of the child’s preference, participate in this choice: take it with you to the store or offer a detailed version of the catalog. But do not forget to direct the thoughts in the right direction, as well as to look for compromises, so that all the subjects are not only stylish and attractive, but also practical and functional.
- When buying, ask the seller for accompanying documents and certificates of conformity with generally accepted quality.
- Before purchasing, evaluate a piece of furniture “in action”, and the future owner, that is, the child, must do so. Ask him to try to sit and lie on the bed, fold out the sofa, open and close the cabinet several times and perform other daily routine activities related to operation.
- Pay attention to the colors and design. The furniture can be bright, but still you should not choose flashy or “acidic” shades, they can have a stimulating effect on the nervous system and distract from the educational process. Neutral prints are acceptable, for example, animal figures, flowers, fairytale heroes.
Choosing a safe and suitable furniture, you can properly arrange the personal space of the child.