The upper eyelids of the eyes swell: the causes and signs of edema
Swollen eyelids — a phenomenon that faces both women and men. It often happens that many people do not attach much importance to this problem, which is very bad. As practice shows, swelling of the eyelids may be one of the signs of pathological abnormalities. What to do when the upper eyelids swell, what are the causes of this phenomenon? Today we will try to give detailed answers to these questions.
What is eyelid edema?
The puffiness of the eyelids is a localized excess fluid accumulation in the eyelids. This disease is short-term and recurrent. In most cases, only one lower or upper eyelid may swell. Sometimes unilateral edema happens — a situation in which only one eye swells up. This deviation occurs at any age, but most often people are exposed to it after 30 years.
Many people for whom swelling has become an annoying problem are interested in this question: “Why are the eyelids swelling strongly in the mornings, not in the daytime, when a person is awake?” and his body lies horizontally. It is during this period that the circulatory rate is greatly reduced. In the daytime, such edemas, as a rule, dissolve on their own.
There are many reasons why the eyelids swell over the eyes. We list the most common:
- insect bites;
- bad habits;
- stress, lack of sleep;
- unhealthy diet;
- circulation problems;
- hormonal disorders;
- lack of fluid in the body;
- genetic predisposition;
- congenital eyelid pathology;
- prolonged exposure to the sun;
- allergic reaction to cosmetics, products or plants;
- abuse of liquid or spicy food before bedtime.
Also the reason why the eyelids swell up can be kidney and gastrointestinal diseases, problems with the cardiovascular system, as well as SARS and eye diseases (for example, the upper eyelid often swells due to barley).
Edema is manifested in the following symptoms:
- pain when feeling;
- shine and thinning of the skin;
- eyelid swelling and enlargement;
- density of surrounding tissues;
- tight and tight skin;
- rash on the skin in the form of small dots;
- redness, blue or pale skin;
- narrowing or complete occlusion of the palpebral fissure;
- inflammation of the lymph nodes that are in front of the auricle.
Diagnosis and treatment
To answer the question: “Why do eyelids swell?” We need to make a timely diagnosis. Diagnosis occurs visually. In order to learn more about why the upper eyelids swell, it is necessary to pass a urinalysis for the detection of kidney disease and a blood test, which calculates the level of protein. If these procedures are not enough, an ultrasound or computed tomography scan will be necessary.
Often, the edemas themselves disappear after a while, but in some cases the situation can only get worse. Most often this happens if there is any deviation. In such situations, edema can be not only around the eyes, but also on different parts of the body.
Late treatment can lead to the following consequences:
- swelling of the eyeball;
- increased pressure inside the eye;
- serious vision problems (in advanced cases, vision may disappear altogether).
So how to treat eyelid edema in the morning? First you need to identify the cause of this phenomenon. In case of an allergic reaction, the left or right eyelid will stop swelling after the allergen has been removed. If the cause is a disease, then the edema will pass when the person recovers. In the case when the puffiness is due to a wound or bite, everything goes away after healing. Liquid absorption can be accelerated using the following methods:
- Drug treatment, physiotherapy, mesotherapy. To eliminate the edema by these methods, you must first coordinate your actions with your doctor. Only a specialist will tell you whether to carry out such procedures or not.
- Cosmetics (various masks, creams and lotions).
- Massages with which you can remove excess fluid and restore the functioning of the lymphatic system.
- Folk remedies taken externally or inward.
The goal of each treatment course is to eliminate inflammation and improve blood circulation, as well as stimulate metabolism.
Folk remedies to eliminate eyelid swelling
Traditional medicine is rich in natural recipes that are effective in combating edema. The main ingredient in most of them is parsley, because it contains a lot of useful substances. Thanks to the anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties of this plant, you will forget about swollen eyelids in the morning for a long time.
- Broth parsley. Per liter of water you need to take leaves from 1 beam, 4 crushed roots and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Mixture put on low heat for 30 minutes. The received warm medicine needs to be taken 3 times a day on 100 ml.
- Drink. Two tablespoons of parsley seeds must be ground to the state of powder, pour 250 ml of boiling water, then keep on low heat for a quarter of an hour. At the end of the drink to cool and strain. Take one tablespoon 4 times a day.
In addition to parsley, flaxseed has good antibacterial, diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties. The following recipe recommended itself well: 4 teaspoons of seeds are poured with a liter of water, after which the liquid should be boiled over low heat for 25 minutes. Cool and strain broth. A warm drink should be taken 3 times a day for half a cup. The course of treatment is 20 days. Due to the specific taste of the drug, it is not recommended to mix it with other beverages or products.
So that morning edema of the eyelids does not catch you, remember these rules:
- Do not drink large amounts of water at night.
- Have a good rest, sleep 7–8 hours.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners and do not abuse the amount of salt.
- Wear sunglasses in the summer and do not stay under ultraviolet light for too long.
- Observe safety precautions at hazardous work (welders, for example, must wear a face shield that covers the entire face).
- Give up alcohol, carbonated drinks and coffee.
- Do not contact people who have infectious diseases (especially those with eye disease).
- Timely treat inflammatory diseases.
Now you know what you need to do and what you should give up so that this problem does not overtake you. Remember: it all depends on you and your lifestyle.