Peppermint oil for hair — the benefits and harm, the use of home
Mint oil for hair is very popular. And this is no accident, because the esters of this plant have a beneficial effect on the hair follicles. Essential aromatic product is obtained from the stems of peppermint. Sometimes other species of this plant are used, but in this case, bona fide producers indicate this on the labels.
Among the main indications that involve the use of herbal medicine are:
- hair loss and thinning;
- peeling of the epidermis in the hair of the head;
- bundle of hair ends.
Using peppermint oil for hair as an antiseptic and sedative, you can also get an additional effect. It manifests itself in the removal of nervous tension and leveling the effects of stress. Breathing mint esters, people tend to relax. Hypertensive patients and people suffering from insomnia have double the benefit of using peppermint oil to treat their hair. Inhalation of this plant component will help to normalize blood pressure and speed up sleep.
As part of the essential oil of peppermint, it is possible to isolate not only substances used in aromatherapy, but also minerals such as:
The oil also contains B vitamins, as well as ascorbic acid and carotene.
The benefits of peppermint oil in preventing and treating hair problems include:
- normalization of sebum production and prevention of excessive greasiness of the skin;
- healing areas with microcracks;
- activating hair growth;
- strengthening hair follicles and increasing their resistance to external factors (the environment and chemical hair care products);
- exfoliation of dead skin particles and their gentle removal.
All these actions help the hair to become healthy. Regular use of restorative formulations with peppermint oil and pure essential product enhances the natural shine and makes the hair thicker. And the hair that gets nutrition will become soft and very obedient.
Contraindications to the use of a product such as peppermint oil are due to factors such as:
- individual intolerance to the drug;
- diseases of the nervous system associated with impaired coordination of movements or manifested seizures;
- chronic respiratory tract disease, including asthma;
- dry and excessively sensitive skin on the head;
- skin diseases associated with hormonal disorders in the body.
It is not necessary to experiment with oils for pregnant and lactating women, and masks with them do not need to be applied to the hair of children. With care means with mint ether need to be used to the people suffering from a lowered pressure.
Mint oil cannot cause harm as such, because the product is completely natural. But still, those people who fall under the above categories, should abandon the use of therapeutic compositions with this essential product. You can also try to reduce the concentration of the component to a minimum.
And before use, it is desirable to produce a simple test for the perception of this type of essential substance by the body. Make it simple: you need to put a drop of undiluted oil on the area of the body behind the ear or on the crook of the elbow. The reaction to the esters should occur within 24 hours. Manifestations of incompatibility are itching, redness, or a rash. If such effects occur, then the oil should be washed off with a soap solution, and then the place of application should be treated with alcohol.
Peppermint oil can be used both as a separate form and as a component for the preparation of masks and other nutritional formulations for hair and scalp. But before you begin treatment with this aromatic agent, you should carefully study the annotation attached to the bottle.
Why do this? Yes, only then, to ensure the quality of the product, because the healing effect can bring only essential oil of peppermint, the concentration of which is not less than one hundred percent. This information will necessarily be reflected in the subclause on the composition of the drug. A lower concentration of the active substance indicates that the product is a cosmetic and does not possess all the characteristics attributed to the “real” substance. Less concentrated mint oil can be used only for flavoring creams and other fat-based formulations, as well as to use it in the fight against annoying flies or in aroma lamps. But to aromatize tea with such a product is not worth it.
Basically, the use of peppermint oil is reduced to the preparation of multi-component masks for the scalp. Also, the substance can be used in its pure form: put on a comb and scratch your hair at night. Among the popular ways to use peppermint oil is the addition of a few drops in shampoos and conditioners.
To enhance the effect of the use of funds with aromatic mint oil, remember and follow the following recommendations:
- Apply the formulations to dry or wet pre-washed hair. The exception is when the oil is added to shampoos or conditioners.
- It is advisable to use oilcloth cap, as well as to warm the head with a towel.
- Rub the mixture should be first in the roots, and only then apply to the remaining hair.
- In the case when combing hair is intended, it is advisable to use a comb made of wood or bone.
- After using masks and formulations with mint oil and other components for hair restoration, use of a hair dryer, curling iron or irons should be avoided. You also need to abandon hair coloring (even with natural substances based on walnut or other infusions). An exception can be considered henna, which is often a component of therapeutic compositions.
- When treating and restoring hair with the help of folk methods and formulations with essential oils, other procedures for hair should be abandoned, including salon.
All products whose ingredients include peppermint essential oil should not be stored. Masks should be used immediately after preparation only because over time their value decreases. You should not pour a bottle of oil into shampoo or hair rinse, after only an hour after such a procedure, only a pleasant mint flavor will remain.
Recipes of traditional medicine, in which peppermint oil is used as a nutritional and therapeutic component, are numerous. With the most popular and effective, judging by the reviews of people who have tried them on themselves, we suggest reading in the article. And then with the help of our recommendations to get rid of problems with their own hair.
It should be noted that peppermint oil should not be used in its pure form, as it is very concentrated. The main ingredients that complement mint oil and enhance its effectiveness are:
- fermented milk and dairy products;
- White clay;
- lemon juice and pulp;
- cacao butter;
- oil (wax) of jojoba or shea nuts;
- chicken or quail eggs;
- essential oils of other plants (lavender, sage, lemon, rosemary, juniper or eucalyptus);
- nourishing oils (coconut, flaxseed, castor, almond, or obtained from burdock roots) that have a firming effect;
- decoctions of nettle and chamomile;
- aloe pulp and juice;
- Bee Honey.
The best combinations of the above ingredients, as well as their action, are listed in the table on the peculiarities of hair and scalp care.
Ingredients, cooking methods and rules of use