Natural soap: its types, characteristics of the composition and recipes for making soap with your own hands at home
Natural soap recently increasingly common in the sale. The Internet is full of eye-pleasing ads, advertising about «100% natural», home-free GMOs and artificial additives, and even a hand-made product.
The idea of soap making appeared long before the advent of the Internet, and even before the appearance of many civilizations. From the deepest antiquity, people have already used a variety of tools to wash their things and cleanse the body. In the course was the sand, which rubbed the body of the ancient Greeks, a mixture of ash and fat from the ancient Gauls, solutions based on beeswax from the Egyptians. And the first mention of the soap found in the Sumerians, back in 2500 BC. They took the recipe with ashes and grease.
Although the Egyptians and the Romans dispute this fact to their side. Indeed, on the Tiber River, during the excavations of Pompeii, pieces of soap were found that were used for washing at that time. And only 2000 years ago it began to be used for personal hygiene.
In the Middle Ages, such procedures were available only to persons of noble blood, and the right to bathe in a bath with soap was a privilege, and bestowed only by the king. Thus, Europe went «unwashed» right up to the 17th century, when the first patent was issued for an industrial method for the production of soap from soda. The cost has become much lower and the concept of personal hygiene has gone to the masses. This period coincided with the time of scientific and chemical discoveries. Over the past three centuries, the recipe of soap has undergone such changes, which completely changed its properties.
The modern passion of needlewomen only served to restore old recipes and traditions.
Today there are several ways to create detergent:
- From scratch — a classic recipe using vegetable and essential oils and other absolutely natural ingredients (milk, honey, herbs, flowers, etc.).
- From a special soap base — preparation of organic and synthetic components, which is easy to transform into any shape and give all sorts of colors. So such a soap can be considered only partially, especially if it is inherent in too complex shape, bright and unnatural colors, too pronounced smell.
- Digested from industrial — contains all the chemical components inherent in factory products — glycerin, lauryl sulfates, propylene glycol, salts of EDTA and many other preservatives, flavors, dyes that can cause allergic reactions, chronic diseases.
Usually soap from scratch has a simple rectangular shape with possible irregularities, since made for cutting. But the appearance is not the most important quality of such products. It nourishes, moisturizes, performs the function of scrub, and you can fully control its composition, and accordingly, the functions that it performs. You get an absolutely useful and individual product, which is also capable of performing even an aromatherapy effect and relieving stress.
Self-made soap, that is, natural handmade soap can be the most diverse in appearance, and therefore can serve various missions. We will help you understand the widest range of basic recipes, on the basis of which you can be inspired by your own experiments:
Shampoo — is produced on an alkaline basis with the use of essential oils and natural caring ingredients. It is necessary to carefully select the ingredients based on your personal hair type and the desired result. This type of soap is gaining great popularity today, so we will further devote a whole section to it.
Dairy — Regardless of the method of preparation, any type of milk (cow, goat, sheep, soybean, coconut) is taken as a basis. Its distinctive ability can be called a gentle effect on the skin, moisturizing and nutrition. It is important to follow all the details of the process, since raw quite capricious.
Coffee shop — functional composition, which performs a variety of functions in the household (eats fat, removes odors). In the manufacturing process, very strong coffee is added to the alkali, instead of water. And if you add orange peel, oatmeal or ground coffee beans — you get a great scrub. Add milk, and get clarified pieces with a soft foam.
Garden — ideal for cleaning hands after working with the ground. For additional disinfection, antibacterial oils with a therapeutic effect (tea tree, patchouli) should be added to the composition.
Peeling — used to cleanse the skin of dead cells. To do this, use all sorts of natural material, such as crushed nutshell, cereals, hemp seeds (for lovers of the exotic), grass, sand. You can create a two-layer version with a soft side and abrasive side.
Castilian — based on olive oil. This cream soap is so gentle that it can be used for small children. Keep in mind that the product must necessarily mature for at least one month.
For shaving — differs in the increased foaming and availability of glycerin in structure for softening of hairs. It is necessary to add oils for the caring option. It can be immediately poured into molds at 2/3 for convenient use.
Silk — A luxurious option with silk proteins for skin care. Resourceful soap collectors simply add unpainted silk threads, cut into small pieces. In this form, they quickly dissolve in alkali. It is not necessary to add peeling elements, because The beauty of this product is precisely in silk smoothness.
Baby — moisturizing ingredients are used, it is possible to prepare on chamomile tea, which allows you to reduce inflammation. In any case, such products, however, like the factory ones, can be used only after two years.
With vegetables or fruits — flight for creativity and imagination, especially since no additional procedures and preservatives are required. Masters have already tested such components as avocado (moisturizing), cucumbers, zucchini, carrot juice (for coloring), bananas, lemons and lemon juice, oranges, grapefruit, tomatoes, melons, etc.
Beer (or wine) — the composition may include any noble alcoholic drink, from which the alcoholic part is removed by evaporation. Ideal for washing hair.
From algae — added to create an aromatic bouquet and to create a scrub effect.
Salt — has a healing effect, since contains a component of sea salt — iodine. Well suited as a tonic for various cosmetic procedures, normalizes blood circulation, renews the top layer of skin, breaks down fat deposits, relieves the feeling of fatigue. Cut it must be still in a warm condition, otherwise the soap hardens strongly.
Allep — a classic product, used, besides its main purpose, for disinfection, moistening and cleansing, due to the presence of two main components — olive and laurel oils. But with all its positive qualities it has a significant drawback — the ideal aging time is 2.5 years. It is after this period that the soap will acquire all its characteristic properties.
Tar tar — Another antiseptic, although more affordable than the previous version. At a fairly low price, tar natural soap has a wide range of positive qualities — anti-inflammatory, regenerating property, excellent care for problem skin, a remedy for dandruff and oily scalp. You should not use it daily, but only as a preventive measure a couple of times a week. The only negative — an unpleasant smell, which is quite possible to accept, given all its useful qualities.
On the constituent components of natural soap, you can write a treatise. How else? After all, the composition, in addition to the base, includes useful aromatic oils, natural dyes and components of plant origin, possessing a number of qualities. Consider in brief all of them. But even this information will be enough to understand how unique and even necessary is a soap made from natural ingredients. So, what is included in this natural soap:
- soap base;
- base oils;
- essential oils or fragrances
- additional decorative and functional elements.
Consider each of them in more detail. As for the basis for soap making, whatever type you choose, it will be the same — you either cook it from scratch, or get ready-made harvesting.
Base oils. Our skin requires care, and almost all of us have to use creams on the same basis after bathing and washing soap on a chemical basis. It is much easier to shorten the whole procedure (often useless and even harmful) using natural soap saturated with oils, and, therefore, with fatty acids, vitamins. This composition makes it an independent cosmetic product, which largely contributes to the regeneration, cleansing and moisturizing the skin. Each substance has its own characteristic properties:
- Avocado, jojoba, hazelnut oil, sesame and castor oil are ideal for hair, giving them strength, shine and eliminating dandruff;
- wheat germ oil, almond, shea — perfectly care for the skin of the face, smoothing wrinkles, have an antioxidant effect;
- palm, castor, coconut oils — increase foaming, well whiten the skin;
- olive, safflower, sea buckthorn oil — softens and moisturizes, a rich source of essential vitamins, goes well with other bases;
- Cocoa is a good ingredient for skin structure. forms the necessary hardness and creamy foam;
- Grape seed oil — an excellent antiseptic with a soothing effect on human skin, has no contraindications, is suitable for any skin type.
These are the indicators of the most common oils, on the basis of which the masters of soap making will be able to create real masterpieces.
Essential oils (fragrances). Aromatic natural oils should not be confused with chemically created fragrances, although they have one goal — to smell the final product. The differences in the properties and benefits that oils can bring to man. Essential oils have antiseptic properties, have a beneficial effect on the emotional state, have a therapeutic effect on the respiratory system, blood circulation, digestion and the immune system. Combining several flavors, you can create a truly useful and individual product:
- Orange is a great mood, inspiration, especially in combination with cloves or cinnamon, patchouli, bergamot;
- patchouli — aphrodisiac, antiseptic, combined with mint, rosemary and lavender;
- Cinnamon — relieves inflammation, is associated with the spicy warm Christmas holidays, combined with citrus, nutmeg and cumin.
- sandalwood — relaxation and aphrodisiac, suitable for combinations with vanilla and lemon;
- Nayoli — antibiotic with antibacterial properties, strengthens and cleanses the skin, strengthens the respiratory system, which is similar to eucalyptus oil;
- Bergamot — soothes, protects against bacteria, helps to cope with stress, improves mood, especially in combination with cinnamon, cloves and citrus;
- Melissa — anti-allergen, soothes, relieves inflammation, is well suited for oily skin. It goes well with lemongrass and mint;
- Lavender — a soothing remedy, regulates sleep, can be combined with any essential oils.
And this is not a complete list of aromatic oils, with which you can diversify the recipes of natural soap, made with your own hands.
In contrast, food flavors can give odors that are not intrinsic to natural substances. But for their use will require some knowledge of chemistry, because it is very difficult to know in advance how synthetic components will behave in an aggressive environment. And what a smell as a result you get — too. Be sure to conduct testing on the skin, because artificial flavors — strong allergens.
Dyes. Often, original soap makers make too much emphasis on creating just beautiful soap, sometimes even to the detriment of useful qualities. A special skill among such masters is transparent soap. However, you can create products of any color and saturation, which is to your liking. In addition, some natural dyes add positive qualities to the finished product. All types of coloring matter can be attributed to such categories:
- water-soluble food — safe, will not bring harm, they are easy to use for solid soap, belong to the class of «migrant», so clear boundaries will not work;
- pigments are stable, can be used to create clear patterns, the colors are natural, but they can slightly cloud the base;
- natural — made from inorganic minerals, do not migrate, but give turbidity;
- nacre, glitter — inorganic substances that add characteristic play, can rather be attributed to decorative details, because they do not change color.
Do not forget that colors can be mixed to obtain a new color and shades, so that, armed with at least a standard set of dyes, you can easily create a large palette.
Additional elements. They need natural soap that has the properties you need (anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, moisturizing, regenerating, etc.) So, you can use many additional components. In the course can go all that comes handy in the kitchen. For example, honey is a unique substance with a number of healing properties. If you want to make a soap scrub, then ground coffee, oatmeal, sugar, sea salt, and clay will be perfect. And cornmeal will additionally have an anti-cellulite effect.
The addition to the recipe of fruits and vegetables will help to fill the natural soap with useful vitamins and elements (carrots, cucumbers, oranges and their juice, strawberries, kiwi, milk and its derivatives). The main thing is that they are fresh and natural.
The use of herbs in soap making can somewhat simplify the appearance, and even make it less attractive. However, the positive effect of such a product increases significantly. In addition, herbal decoctions can give a soft color, replacing the water in the cooking process.
Grass in shredded form can be used as a scrub and decorative elements. And to enhance the shade and flavor, use olive oil. This will also preserve all the beneficial properties of the herb. The most common herbs include:
- basil — shades from green to brown;
- calendula — for giving yellow color;
- St. John’s wort — brown-red color;
- Lavender — purple with brown tint;
- mint — pleasant aroma and brown color;
- Chamomile — anti-inflammatory and healing effect, pale yellow and green colors.
Herbs must be dried, only in this case, homemade soap can show the expected effect.
As a decor water-soluble paper can be used, it is with its help that popular soap is created with photos, pictures and inscriptions. It is in the process of using soap just breaks up into small fibers.
In rare cases, masters use beads and synthetic pearls, but they are applied only on the upper part.
Recipes, how to make soap with your own hands at home?
As we have said, in this section we will offer you some detailed recipes for making natural soap with your own hands.
To begin with, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with and even try to create a natural hair soap using olive oil. It is unique, its scope of application is not limited. For example, hair after the first procedure will become much softer, more obedient. To prepare it, you need several ingredients:
- 1 liter of real olive oil, necessarily cold pressed
- 275 mm of purified water or distilled;
- 130g solution of bush soda (alkali);
- 20 ml of lavender essential oil.
The preparation process consists of several simple steps:
- Pour the caustic soda solution into the water (but not vice versa!), Very carefully and mix until completely dissolved. Cool the mixture to 50-60 ° C.
- Olive oil is heated in a container made of stainless steel and heated to 75-80 ° C over low heat.
- Pour the oil into the alkaline solution and continue to mix until the first signs of thickening.
- Add lavender oil, mix and pour all the contents into a form that will need to be covered and cleaned in a dark cool place for a couple of days.
- Remove from the mold and leave in the same place for aging and hardening.
All the necessary components are easy to buy in specialized stores. The room must be well ventilated due to alkali vapor.
Use the finished soap a couple of times a week and quite soon you will notice significant changes in the condition of your hair. But keep in mind that the active daily use can lead to disruption of the fat balance of the scalp, and this is fraught with negative consequences. It is necessary to wash your hair in two stages, during which you cleanse and saturate them with useful substances. It is not recommended to keep it for a long time, because over time, the beneficial properties disappear.
Now consider an example of making beautiful transparent soap with a rainbow decor, which can be a wonderful gift for your loved ones. Especially if you do it yourself.
- 0.5 kg of transparent soap base;
- three drops of water-soluble dye (red, yellow, blue, green);
- one-sixth of a teaspoon of silvery nacre;
- third part tsp avocado oil;
- 20 drops of fragrance with the smell of tropical fruits.
- Add the pearlescent additive to the melted base and mix with a mixer.
- Most of the mixture is poured into a glass, and in the remaining drip dyes of red and blue to get purple.
- Pour it into a narrow rectangular shape and treat with an alcohol solution, after the appearance of the film, scratch the top layer with a sharp object.
- Similarly fill all the remaining color layers.
- After curing, remove the blank from the mold.
- Bend the plate with an arc so that it fits into another shape, and cut off the excess.
- Scratch the surface film for optimum adhesion of the layers and rub it with alcohol.
- Melt the remaining uncolored base, add flavoring, a drop of blue dye and oil at the last stage so that it does not evaporate.
- Fill the folded layer with the final base in cooked form.
- After hardening, remove the soap from the mold and cut it with a sharp knife into pieces of the required size.
As it becomes clear, to make natural soap at home is quite simple, it is worth showing a little imagination and skill. And if you take advantage of the results of your work, then rather quickly you will develop a habit of applying for yourself to your beloved everything only the most natural and useful. Moreover, there are enough options for any life situation.
Scrub handmade soap — a step by step recipe
DIY handmade mascara