Longitudinal and transverse stripes on the nails of the hands: causes and prevention of appearance
Longitudinal strips on the nails not only spoil their appearance, but also can signal that a certain pathology is present in the human body. In some women, the longitudinal stripes on the nails disappear after a while, while others this problem may be a concern for the whole life.
In this article you will find detailed information on how to heal the longitudinal stripes on the nails of the hands, what are the causes of their occurrence.
The longitudinal and transverse stripes on the nails in medicine are called leukonychia. In the early days, when this phenomenon is just beginning to show itself, white dots appear. After some time, these dots begin to lengthen, forming horizontal or vertical stripes on the nails.
In some cases, the formation of bands may be accompanied by the appearance of bumps, which is also a sign of pathology.
Consider the main causes of bands:
- Incorrect treatment of the cuticle. If the area under the cuticle is broken, it can lead to malfunction of the nail plate, which provokes the appearance of strips.
- Improper diet or metabolism. Longitudinal stripes on the nails can appear due to the huge amount of carbohydrates consumed and the lack of iron, zinc and vitamins of group B. A small amount of fruit in the diet also plays its role.
- Problems with the endocrine system. Threaded nails are often found in people who are overweight or have diabetes.
- Dysfunction of the central nervous system and various lesions of the spine. Longitudinal strips may form if a person has an intervertebral hernia or tumor.
- Fungus or skin disease. If a person is sick with psoriasis or any other skin disease, then his nails can not only be painted with white or black stripes, but also become brittle and splitting.
- False nails. Women performing the procedure for artificially increasing the length, may also face such a problem. Chemicals that are in the composition of various means of building, greatly harm the structure of the nail.
- Disrupted gastrointestinal tract.
- Cardiovascular diseases.
- Circulatory problems.
- Frequent stress.
Useful tips and treatments
We figured out the reasons why longitudinal stripes are formed on the nails. Now it’s time to discuss the treatment.
- In the case when the longitudinal strips on the nails appeared due to a specific disease, the main therapy should be focused on the identification and treatment of the main disease. Once healthy nails can only be restored when the disease is completely cured.
- If vertical or horizontal stripes appear due to a fungal infection, then in such a situation it is necessary to undergo a course of treatment with antifungal agents. Remember that any treatment should be carried out under the guidance of a doctor. Self-treatment of fungal and any other diseases can not only help to cope with the problem, but also lead to sad consequences.
- Overweight people and poor metabolism need to radically reconsider their diet. To nails regained a healthy look, you need to pay attention to carbohydrate metabolism and eliminate pastries and sweets from the diet. It is also strongly recommended to check for blood sugar levels.
Now we will consider several effective recipes, thanks to which it will be possible to return the old healthy look to the nails.
- Salt bath. If the stripes appeared due to injury to the nail plate, then this method will be able to restore the nail in a short period of time. Dilute 10 g of sea salt in 200 ml of water, then add 5 drops of eucalyptus oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Dip the sore fingers in the solution for 15 minutes.
- Use tea tree oil, orange extract or olive oil. This method is the easiest, because you only need to rub these natural products in the nails.
- Sage decoction. In 300 ml of boiling water to fill 2 tbsp. l dry sage leaves, let it brew. When the broth has cooled, it needs to be poured into a basin, and then lower the hands there for 10 minutes.
- Tincture of celandine, calendula, oak bark and chamomile. All listed ingredients to take in equal proportions and mix. Brew 20 g of this mixture in a glass of boiling water, let it brew for half an hour. In the broth to hold hands for 20 minutes.
In order not to provoke the appearance of a defect, it is necessary to adhere to the following rules:
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, nuts and cereals, as they contain all the most essential vitamins and minerals that support healthy nails.
- Eliminate from the diet sweets, fatty, fried and smoked food.
- Maintain water balance of the body, drink at least 2 liters of water per day.
- Wear warm gloves or mittens in the winter and in the offseason. Do not let your hands chill.
- Wear protective gloves during housework.
- Trust nails only to professionals. Do not injure the cuticle, it is better to do unedged manicure.
- Moisturize nails with special lotions, make baths and masks for delicate skin of hands and nails.
Remember that any deviation in appearance is a reason to consult a doctor. Identify defects in time, treat the underlying causes and properly care for your hands and nails. And then misunderstandings in the form of stripes and bumps will not be a problem for you.