How to determine at home the type of hair and scalp
The use of cosmetic and hygiene products that do not correspond to the type of scalp is one of the most common mistakes in hair care. Pay for ignorance accounts for increased greasiness, or, conversely, dry hair, thinning, dandruff. Ultimately, women, again and again mistaken in the choice of shampoos, conditioners, masks and styling products, are wondering how to determine the type of hair.
Characteristics of hair types
To describe the state of hair, hairdressers and trichologists use many characteristics. They take into account the length, thickness, thickness of the hair, the degree of their fragility and moisture. The shape of the curls are curly, wavy, straight. On the health of hair can be judged by its strength, radiance, smoothness. In determining the type of hair take into account the intensity of secretion of the sebaceous glands of the scalp. Of importance is the distribution of sebum along the entire length of the hair.
- Normal hair is distinguished by a healthy shine, elasticity, moderate pomp. Clean and well-groomed, they look the first two days after washing your hair. On the third day, the hair at the roots becomes noticeably greasy. The tips of the strands can be bitten, but only slightly. Normal hair is poorly electrified, amenable to styling. They require minimal supportive care.
- Dry hair stays clean for a week. They perfectly keep their shape and differ in pomp. On the other hand, the color of such curls dim. The hair is clearly not enough moisture, which is manifested in fragility, a large number of split ends. Dry hair prone to electrifying and confusing, which complicates the styling process. It seems that they are slowly growing. In reality, the hair does not add in length due to increased fragility.
- Oily hair quickly get dirty — this is probably their main problem. If the sebaceous glands of the skin actively sebum sebum, the hair looks presentable only a day after washing the head. Clean hair without problems fit, keep the volume. A day later, they begin to stick together, lose their pomp. The hair gets a characteristic oily sheen, a light smell of rancid oil. At the same time, the owners of the fat locks are not aware of the problem of splitting ends.
- Combined hair becomes greasy at the roots on the second or third day after shampooing. The rest of the hair remains clean long enough — up to a week. Mixed-type hair often lacks a basal volume. The ends of the strands tend to split, push and electrify. The combined type is found, as a rule, among owners of long hair.
Important! The individual intensity of sebaceous excretions is determined by many factors, including heredity. Over the years, the activity of the sebaceous glands, as a rule, decreases. Hair type changes with frequent dyeing, washing, hormone imbalance, and so on.
Ways to determine hair type
Find out what type of scalp you have, the following test with wipes will help. In the morning wash your hair in the usual way. The next day, lightly rub the scalp on top of the paper sheet. Next, select the strand and, holding it in the middle of the second napkin, swipe the paper to the tip. Oily marks on all wipes are a sign of greasy hair. Lack of stains indicates normal or dry type. Are there marks on the first napkin, and not on the second? You have a combined type.
Tests also help to identify at home. Find out your hair type by answering the following questions.
- How often do you wash your hair?
A. Every 3-4 days.
B. After 7 or more days.
B. Every other day and more often.
D. Every 4–6 days.
- Which description fits you?
A. Curls normally tolerate high temperatures, do not split.
B. Chevelurera is sensitive to thermo-impact, the ends are noticeably snagged.
B. Curls are undamaged. If there are split ends, it is not enough.
G. Drying hair dryer only negatively affects the lower segment of the hair.
- Are your curls electrified?
A. No or only at the ends.
B. Electrified strongly, along the entire length.
B. It is extremely rare, only in the cold season.
G. Strong, but only at the ends.
- Does your hair have volume?
A. Yes, the hair remains lush for several days.
B. Yes, they are always voluminous, “fly away”.
B. No, volume only happens after washing.
G. Yes, but only basal.
- Do you shine strands?
A. Yes, the hair has a healthy, uniform glow.
B. No, they do not shine.
V. Yes, but a healthy shine quickly turns into an oily.
G. Yes, but only at the roots. The bottom of the hair looks dim.
- Are your curls easy to style?
A. Yes. Laying generally keeps long.
B. No, the hair does not fit well.
Q. Yes, it is easy to set, but only for a short time.
G. Well fit in the root zone.
If the answers are «A», you have a normal type. Owners of dry hair will be dominated by “B” variants. Abstracts under the letter «B» correspond to oily hair. You have a combined type, if most of the answers are “G”.
The surest way to find out your hair type is to contact a trichologist. A doctor specializing in hair and scalp problems uses laboratory tests and clinical tests to identify.
Normal curls do not need special care. To maintain their health and cleanliness, it is enough to wash them twice a week with egg, honey or herbal shampoo. At the end, you can rinse the hair with decoction of nettle, water, acidified with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
Shampoo with the addition of oils are ideal for dry hair. When washing, be sure to use air conditioning, while laying — thermal protective equipment. Hair problems solve special masks and oil wraps. Shampoos with fruit acids, extracts of nettle, mint, tea tree, calendula, and also fermented milk masks cope with the high fat content of curls. When mixed type is recommended once a week to apply cosmetic oil on the tips.