Care of contact lenses for eyes — the rules of care and wear (compatibility of lenses and cosmetics); necessary funds
Contact lens care — This is one of the most important factors in comfortable wearing lenses. Provided all the necessary care requirements are met, the risks of eye health problems are practically neutralized.
The first contact lenses were developed and put into mass circulation about 100 years ago in Germany, although Leonardo da Vinci himself is considered the progenitor of this vision correction. They were made of glass with a thickness of 1-2 mm, which led to negative consequences — distortion of the visible image, nebula and painful sensations, because of which patients were forced to undergo long courses of recovery.
Only after replacing the glass with a transparent polymer material, the use of contact lenses became much more comfortable and much more accessible. Such a device can make the life of a person who has vision problems completely free and convenient. However, to obtain a truly tangible result, you must follow some care measures for the lenses and eyes. In addition, the maintenance of devices in perfect order will allow you to avoid major problems with the health and general condition of the eyes.
The use of lenses for the correction of vision, as fairly “delicate matters,” naturally implies the need to adhere to certain rules for their care, in particular, careful care of the condition of the devices and their correct operation are necessary.
At first, it may seem that there are too many procedures and they will take a lot of time, but a good habit will develop to automaticity quickly. Moreover, non-compliance with the recommendations and neglect of fragile devices will quickly lead to the deterioration of their strength, as well as the development of infectious and allergic inflammations.
Lens care for the eyes can be divided into two types — daily and weekly, each of which is necessary and absolutely not interchangeable.
The rules of daily care are to perform the following procedures:
- cleaning — processing lenses with a special solution to remove surface contaminants such as particles of cosmetics, tear products, dust particles from the environment, as well as numerous microorganisms and bacteria;
- flushing — removes residues cleaner;
- disinfection — placement of devices in the container cells for at least 4 hours, where they must be completely covered with a special solution, fluid replacement should occur daily to completely remove the pathogenic bacteria;
- moisturizing — this procedure is required in case of the uncomfortable feeling of dryness in the eyes, you can correct the situation with the help of moisturizing drops recommended by your doctor.
In addition, weekly it is necessary to conduct a more thorough cleaning of protein deposits that accumulate when wearing lenses for a long time (more than 1 month).
To do this, pour the contact lens care product into the container and place the tablets of the protein cleaner in the cells. Already cleaned lenses should be put in the appropriate cells and hold them fully immersed for about a quarter of an hour (maximum 2 hours for excessively dirty devices).
Then the procedure is standard — cleaning and disinfection, as with daily care.
Periodically, it is recommended to carry out chemical cleaning of soft contact lenses with hydrogen peroxide (10-15 minutes), saline (30 minutes). Each solution must be drained before using the next one.
All means and procedures should be coordinated with the ophthalmologist depending on the type of lenses used. For example, substances for the care of colored lenses, for long-wearing devices, for hard and soft contact elements are significantly different, for the reason that they are used in the manufacture of different materials.
Today they write that contact lenses can be safely prescribed even for small children. However, even setting aside the question of the impact on health, it is worthwhile to assess the child’s ability to independently care for them and to dress them properly, as well as their capabilities in performing these duties instead. After all, the health of children is above all, it is so easy to break and difficult to restore.
The elements used to clean and maintain the condition of vision correction devices include not only special means, but also such a device as a storage and care container.
The container is a fairly simple device in the form of two small containers interconnected, equipped with lids to avoid pouring and evaporation of liquid solutions.
Not only the lenses, but also the containers themselves need to be periodically cleaned and disinfected, since dangerous bacteria can multiply and persist on their surface, causing a high risk of their contact with the eyes.
For cleaning, you can use these tools: ordinary soap solutions and special disinfecting medical substances that can be purchased at pharmacies or optics salons. Carefully read the instructions for using all items.
Multifunctional solutions based on hydrogen peroxide are considered the most effective means. There are several types of them:
- Buffers — saline solution that maintains a stable pH-level (6.6-7.4) for the lacrimal gland of the human eye. Indicators that go beyond will result in a burning sensation.
- Preservatives — disinfect and prevent the multiplication of microorganisms. Bottles for storage must be sealed.
- Tonic — substances containing salts of sodium chloride, supporting the rate of 0.9%. Exceeding the index will lead to the removal of moisture from the material of the lenses and their deformation.
Quality contact lenses not only improve vision, but also monitor the content of the required amount of moisture in the eyeball mucosa. Existing problems without proper care with the use of lenses can be significantly aggravated. That is why manufacturers add to the composition of solutions moisturizing substances and produce special drops in the same series with solutions.
The use of poor-quality tools with expired or unknown manufacturers can be fraught with dire consequences. All substances must have confirmation of the quality of ophthalmologists.
It is also impossible to replace solutions with homemade salt masses — in their manufacture there is no possibility to withstand the technology. This is likely to cause damage to the devices for vision. In case of emergency it is better to replace the substance for daily care with a normal saline solution used in medicine. It can be quite cheap to buy at any pharmacy.
Use the solution only once, after which it is not suitable for later use. It will keep all the particles of dirt and biological particles removed from the lens surface.
One of the important factors in the care of contact lenses, and therefore the condition of your eyes, is considered the correct procedure for wearing contact lenses, in particular, their installation and removal. Therefore, it is extremely important to master the skills of handling lenses and follow these rules:
- hands must be washed with soap and wipe with a lint-free towel or a piece of cloth — the remaining microfibers can get on the cornea and cause discomfort;
- Do not put cosmetics on your hands (creams, lotions), as well as decorative cosmetics for eyelids, eyelashes, etc. before installing the lens on the «location»;
- when applying aerosol substances (hair spray, antiperspirant) you need to close your eyes;
- devices must not be worn longer than the time specified by the doctor.
The process of dressing, as well as the care of the lenses, should go to automatism. In this case, it will be fast and hassle-free for wearing throughout the day.
First of all, you need to make sure that your hands and lenses are clean. You can touch them only with your fingertips, nails can leave microscratches, which will lead to the distortion of the picture.
Make it a rule to always start «dressing» on one side. For example, first always install a lens for the right eye. Try as you will be more comfortable.
Inspect the lens visually for wrinkles, chipping along the edges, as well as tears and surface damage. On the finger cup of the lens should be placed exactly as you will wear it. It is not necessary in the process to turn and twist the device. Reversed lens from soft materials does not hurt the eye, but the image will be incorrect. The lens cup before installation should not be too wet, otherwise you will not be able to easily separate it from the finger.
Having shown a slight dexterity of fingers, it is necessary to delay the upper and lower eyelids, so as to prevent blinking and place the lens directly on the painted part of the eye. Release eyelids and blink to make sure that there are no uncomfortable sensations. Otherwise, you can gently massage the eyeball through the closed eyelid and move, thus, the device to the right place. If, however, the discomfort does not go away, then it is better to remove the lens, wash it with a solution and try to put it on again. If you repeat the situation, you should stop trying and consult a doctor.
Removal of corrective vision devices should also be carried out according to a strictly sustained pattern, so as not to damage anything, not to lose, and continue enjoying independence from glasses for a long time by wearing contact lenses. The procedure is as follows:
- wash and dry hands;
- make sure the device is in the eye;
- pull away the eyelids and grasp the lens with the fingertips at the cup itself, preferably without touching the edges;
- put them in storage and cleaning as described above.
Often, ophthalmologists are faced with the fact that women are not particularly interested in the benefits of a particular type of contact lens, as well as the associated care procedure, it is much more important for them how they will look, how their eyes change color, what makeup to choose and whether it is possible to use decorative cosmetics at all. Even increased convenience will not make the ladies give up the attractive appearance.
Ophthalmologists do not urge to completely abandon cosmetics, but recommend to minimize its use and to observe some precautions:
- apply all decorative layers only after the lenses are already conveniently and securely worn, and it is worth removing the cosmetics only after removing the devices;
- for removal of cosmetics you need to use water-based products only;
- all cosmetics should have a hypoallergenic composition, without fragrances and preservatives, so as not to irritate the eyes too much;
- It is important to use waterproof mascara for sensitive eyes, and even better to find on sale a special coloring product that is compatible with the wearing of contact lenses;
- need to change cosmetics every 3-4 months, because in the open state, it is excessively susceptible to various kinds of pollution;
- shadows are better to choose matte, without shiny and nacre particles, and it is also better to avoid liquid shadows on an oily basis;
- moisturizing and nourishing cream should not contain oils, otherwise hitting them on the lens can permanently damage it.
Do not be upset that wearing lenses can lead to discomfort and any changes, because new sensations await you, and a change in makeup can lead to the appearance of a radically new image, and it will be just as spectacular (if not more), than before.
In the process of caring for the lenses, not only accessories and hygienic compositions are important, but also respect for the devices and eyes. Therefore, try to follow a few recommendations:
- Follow the procedure for dressing and removing lenses without amateur. You should also take care of the devices themselves — without taking personal initiative and following the instructions.
- Do not try to wash the lenses in water or “rinse” them in your own saliva in the mouth (there are such craftsmen), the infection is not neutralized in this way and the risk of infecting the eyes is very high.
- If irritation or inflammation occurs, the device should immediately be removed and sent for a visit to a doctor. But even if problems do not arise — this is not a reason to refuse professional advice — during the inspection he will be able to see possible changes in his vision and correct them by designating new devices.
- It is strictly forbidden to use someone else’s contact lenses — the result for your eyes can be much worse than if you would use someone else’s toothbrush.
- It is worth getting quality sunglasses, because eyes with lenses become much more susceptible to sunlight and ultraviolet radiation.
- Fix the date of the subsequent inspection and replacement of lenses, do not rely on your own memory, we already have enough information throughout our lives.
Contraindications to the wearing of contact lenses of any kind are diseases such as glaucoma, an allergic reaction and inflamed eye mucosa, conjunctivitis, bacterial infections, because high development of complications and exacerbation of diseases, as a result, will have to undergo complex treatment and recover for a long time.
By adhering to all these rules (at first it may seem that there are too many of them), you can really enjoy a full life and a beautiful view around you, without restricting the world to your glasses.
Wrinkles around the eyes
Professional and home teeth whitening
Home cosmetics for face and body, for hair