Rules for the care of dry skin
Any skin requires attentive care, but dry — especially. Let’s explain why. Increased dryness of the skin is accompanied by many unpleasant phenomena: desquamation, early wrinkles, roughness. They are not always caused by insufficient care. Phenomena may be associated with some pathologies or other causes that should be eliminated, so that the skin will once again shine with beauty and freshness. Allowing the epidermis to dry out unnecessarily is unacceptable!
Moisture retention mechanism
On the surface of the skin there is a stratum corneum. Its moisture is provided by cellular structures and lipids located between them, which perform several functions:
- they act as a binding agent for post-cell structures;
- prevent moisture loss;
- regulate the rate of skin peeling and renewal of its cells;
- due to the antimicrobial action they play a protective role on the surface of the epidermis.
In normal skin, there is a certain balance between the water content in the stratum corneum and in the surrounding air; if it is broken, dry face skin or, on the contrary, oily skin appears.
Water-lipid emulsion film, which forms on the surface of the epidermis, also contributes to the preservation of moisture. It is formed from the secretions of sweat and sebaceous glands and intercellular lipids. An emulsion may have a different ratio of components. It depends on the external conditions and the intensity of the glands.
The mechanism of dryness and peeling of the skin is determined by the following factors:
- lack of moisture in the stratum corneum;
- too frequent change of the surface layer of cells;
- violation of the protective properties of the skin.
Many factors affect the condition of the skin. Each of them can cause negative consequences. Sometimes the appearance of dry skin of the face and the causes of this phenomenon can be eliminated by selecting the best care products.
But sometimes they are associated with a serious illness requiring skilled treatment.
The most common causes of dry skin are:
- lack of sebaceous glands or their dysfunction;
- hormonal changes occurring in the body for any reason;
- disorders caused by a genetically determined predisposition;
- decrease in the moisture level of the cornea with increasing age;
- severe diseases of the digestive tract or diabetes mellitus, which are accompanied not only by dry skin, but also by other symptoms;
- deep cleaning of the skin, if it is carried out too often;
- avitaminosis, which usually begins at the end of a long and cold winter;
- frequent use of hot or poor-quality water, as well as aggressive detergents when washing;
- too dry air in the house, especially in winter, during the heating season;
- long stay in the sun or frost without a protective cream;
- poor quality or improperly chosen skin care products;
- insufficient use of clean water;
- poor nutrition.
If you do not understand the reasons for making dry skin on your face, then what to do should be indicated by a doctor if peeling and itching are additional symptoms. They may indicate any skin diseases.
Eliminating the causes of skin problems, at the same time it should provide a competent and regular care, which requires compliance with several conditions.
- Need to change the rules of washing. In the morning, the water washes away all the fat released during the night from the sebaceous glands, and deprives the skin of the protective barrier that is so necessary for it during the day. Therefore, the procedure of thorough washing is better to transfer to the evening.
- A dry face should be washed with water at room temperature, and let the bath or shower be warm.
- Water quality is important. It needs to be boiled and cooled or used filtered, thawed or settled.
- For washing, you can use only a moisturizing gel or foam. Any soap should be excluded.
- Do not rub the wet face with a towel, it is better to let it dry or gently blot with a soft cloth.
- Very dry skin requires a particularly careful selection of cosmetic care products. If you do not make such products from natural products, it is better to buy cosmetics of well-known manufacturers and, preferably, of one series, with a note about its intended use for dry skin. It is necessary to abandon gels and lotions containing alcohol. It has a drying effect on the skin.
- Carefully need to pick up decorative cosmetics. Both creams and powders must have moisturizing properties and contain protective filters.
- It is important and how to remove makeup — it can only be removed with special, designed for this cosmetic products. Do not leave tonal makeup on the face at night.
- It is important to compensate for the lack of water in the body. Drinking plenty of fluids every day will not only increase skin moisture, but also remove metabolic products and toxins. This will help cleanse the skin and give it a fresh and healthy look. Per day it is recommended to consume up to two liters of water.
- Balanced nutrition is an important part of the fight against dry skin. An increase in the diet of fruits and vegetables contributes to:
- timely bowel cleansing and the early removal of toxins from the body;
- obtaining the body of vitamins and nutrients involved in the improvement of the skin.
- It is necessary to monitor the level of humidity at home and at work. If the air in the room is too dry, you should install a humidifier in it, and also regularly ventilate the room.
- It is not recommended excessive sweating, so you should think about choosing a sport. Pools with chlorinated water also have a negative effect: before bathing it is better to apply a rich cream to the skin.
Since getting rid of dry skin on the face is quite difficult, you need to tune in for a long and systematic care in compliance with all the recommendations listed.
If dry skin of the face is observed, the treatment should include not only masks and creams, but also effective cosmetic procedures. Many of them can be carried out at home.
- A hot compress enhances capillary blood flow, expands and cleanses the pores, removes the cornified layer and dust from the skin surface, inhibits moisture evaporation, and also promotes muscle relaxation. To hold it you can wet the towel folded in a strip with hot water and put it on your face for about 20 minutes. Its temperature must be tolerable for the face. This treatment is especially useful after a relaxing herbal bath.
- Dry skin on the face lends itself well to cleansing with a steam bath. The procedure will fill it with a mass of useful substances from herbal broth, increase blood flow. Infusion can be made from chamomile, which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Essential and vegetable oils
Essential oils, which have been used for these purposes for a long time, are an excellent means of care for dry skin type. Strengthening the cell membrane, they stimulate metabolic reactions, increase blood flow, thereby improving cell nutrition. Moisturizing the skin, simultaneously saturate it with vitamins. Their concentration is so high that it is enough to add a few drops in the funds for dry skin. A good basis for essential oils are cold-pressed vegetable oils, which are very quickly absorbed into the skin.
Olive oil is particularly suitable for this purpose. The essential fatty acids that it contains form a thin film that envelops the skin and retains moisture in it. And the effect of antioxidants stimulates the production of collagen, which increases its elasticity.
Olive oil is a universal remedy that can be applied to all skin types in combination with various additives, but it is especially useful for dry. It is used in the form of compresses, masks are being prepared on its basis. Oil even you can just wipe the skin, a little warm. All these procedures are best done at night.
Arsenal of cosmetic means is great, and every woman can choose how to cope with a dry face and what to do with early wrinkles. Excellent moisturize the skin a variety of masks. They restore elasticity and slow down the aging process with regular use. They are easy to prepare at home, using those natural products that can always be found in the kitchen. Another advantage is the absence of chemical additives.
- Mustard powder mixed with olive oil perfectly moisturizes the skin and stimulates capillary blood flow. A rush of blood contributes to the enrichment of the surface layer of oxygen and useful trace elements.
- The mask has an excellent moisturizing effect and is made from grated apple based on olive oil. After several treatments, the skin acquires freshness and velvety.
- Oat flakes help with peeling. They should be filled with warm water, and honey and a little glycerin should be added to the swollen mass. It nourishes and regenerates the skin.
- The excellent moisturizing and rejuvenating effect is characterized by a cucumber mask. It can be prepared on the basis of heavy cream, and a few drops of lemon juice will give it softness and firmness.
Today, there are various methods of moisturizing, protection and facial care. Only on the desire and capabilities depends on what to do and, if the skin is dry, how to moisturize it. And home care methods are available to everyone; you just need to follow the recipes and observe regularity. Then the skin will always be smooth and well-groomed.