Burrs on the toes and hands: how to treat and how to prevent recurrence
The people are considered a person’s business card. Care products are given considerable attention. However, well-groomed hands — no less important component of the image of a person following him.
Burrs on the hands — a problem familiar to many. But not everyone knows the means to treat them and prevent recurrence, so we are in a hurry to tell you about them.
What are the agnails
Burr is skin damage near the nail roll, which is accompanied by the appearance of a piece of skin that clings to clothes or other objects and delivers a lot of pain and discomfort.
In addition to inconvenience, the appearance of burrs can lead to unpleasant consequences, so their treatment is simply necessary.
Burrs on the fingers can appear for a variety of reasons. Let’s divide them conditionally into two groups.
The first group is the internal causes, here we assign the problems inside the body, which can trigger the appearance of agnails:
- hormonal changes, for example, in adolescence, when the body does not have enough strength to provide the skin with essential nutrients;
- problems with the thyroid gland, intestines, kidneys;
- lack of vitamins A, B and E.
The second group — external causes, that is, associated with the lifestyle, habits and actions of a person:
- injury during manicure or any other skin trauma;
- frequent contact with household chemicals without the use of gloves;
- lack of hand care, dry skin;
- unbalanced nutrition;
- bad habits: nibbling nails, being in the frost without gloves, ignoring wiping hands after washing;
- insufficient fluid intake, which leads to dehydration of the nails and skin of the hands;
- the use of low-quality cosmetics (nail polish or liquid to remove the coating).
How to get rid of burrs
When there are burrs, they want to quickly remove, tear off. This is fundamentally wrong. An attempt to tear off the interfering skin is unlikely to succeed, but it may well end up with the appearance of inflammation and suppuration. If all of you have torn off a agnail, then the appeared wound surely needs to be processed with an antiseptic.
Treatment of agnails must begin with finding out what is the reason for their appearance. If it lies inside the body, then you need to eliminate the disease, and in parallel to treat the burrs. If the reason lies in lifestyle or habits, then you need to radically change them, putting in priority health.
You can safely remove the burrs on your fingers at home. The procedure mechanism is as follows:
- Make a softening bath for the skin (we will tell about the varieties of such baths a little later) or apply a rich cream before the procedure (preferably at night).
- Carefully cut off the dermis at the site of the appearance of a burr using sharp nail scissors or tweezers, make sure that the tool fits snugly to the skin and does not touch healthy skin.
- Treat the problem area with an antiseptic.
Burrs on the fingers can be cured with the help of folk remedies by softening the cuticle, as a result of which their removal will be painless, and you will forget about the problem.
Healing hand baths are the most common remedy for peeling in adults and children. You can do them daily before going to bed for 15–20 minutes, and after the procedure you can wear special cosmetic cotton gloves and go straight to sleep. Prepare a solution for the procedure can be from simple ingredients:
- olive, almond, sunflower or any other vegetable oil heated to a temperature of 37–38 degrees;
- soda or salt (1 tablespoon to half a liter of water);
- pharmaceutical chamomile and oil, heated in a water bath (you need to take 3 tablespoons of dried flowers in a glass of vegetable oil);
- sea buckthorn essential oils, wild rose, tea tree, lemon, bergamot (optional).
You can treat the burrs yourself using masks. These mixtures are applied to the area around the nails, after which a polyethylene film is wound over the composition, and the same cotton gloves are put on top. The exposure time of the masks is at least 60 minutes, and it is recommended to carry out the procedure every other day. Use this recipe:
- Mask of Kalanchoe or Aloe. Crush a few leaves of the plant and apply gruel to the tips of your fingers.
On a note
If burrs appear frequently, keep an antibacterial patch on hand. First, by sticking it on your finger, you will not experience the inconvenience associated with clinging the burr on the clothes, and secondly, the plaster has an area impregnated with an antiseptic that will soften and disinfect the skin.
Sometimes it happens that after a time after removal of burrs inflammation occurs. Is it possible to cure it yourself? In this case, self-treatment is impossible. It should immediately contact a surgeon.
Compresses are applied at the acute stage, it is recommended to hold the finger with the nail plate upwards. If the inflammatory process is accompanied by other symptoms, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate therapy. In the case of periungual abscess, a surgical autopsy is possible, which is carried out by a doctor in medical conditions with complete sterility.
In order not to allow burrs to appear on the nails again and again, listen to some simple tips:
- regularly do a manicure, not forgetting about the accuracy and sterility of the instruments;
- Give preference to quality hand care products;
- do not use quick-drying nail polish, it spoils the nail plate and contributes to the occurrence of burrs;
- use a moisturizing and nourishing hand and nail cream;
- wear warm gloves or mittens during the cold season;
- eat right: eat fresh vegetables, fruits, greens, drink more fluids (at least 2 liters of ordinary water);
- when washing your hands, give preference to baby soap;
- do not rub your hands with a towel until they become red, just blot them, allowing the tissue to absorb excess moisture;
- when in contact with household chemicals, use gloves;
- do not chew any nail;
- do not tear the agnails.
Burrs can also appear on the toes, although this is less common. There are no principal differences in the treatment of skin breakage on the hands and feet, the tactics are the same: softening of the dermis, careful cutting and antiseptic treatment after the procedure.
Hands should be your pride, because they do so much important work! Treat them with gratitude and awe, care for the delicate skin of the handles and protect it from aggressive external influences.