Is it safe to use iodine for acne and acne?
Due to the fact that recently the cosmetics market is overflowing with various skin care products, many people have begun to forget about the available drug — iodine. This tool is usually used to disinfect small wounds or cuts. But what about using iodine against acne?
The question of whether it is possible to burn acne with iodine raises a lot of controversy not only among the inhabitants who are faced with this problem, but also in the professional community of cosmetologists.
Many believe that iodine tincture does not help from acne, but, on the contrary, can cause an allergic reaction and even provoke iodism — a disease caused by an overdose of iodine in the body. One cannot but agree with this, but there is one nuance: similar symptoms can occur only with strong concentrations of this drug. Before using iodine for acne on the face, you need to consult with a competent cosmetologist.
How to treat acne with iodine?
Iodine helps to overcome acne only if the person has consulted in advance with the doctor who determined the type of acne and prescribed the correct dosage. When applying iodine to the skin is to follow these rules:
- Typically, means to combat acne are used after scrub or steaming, but with iodine tincture, things are different: you should only rub acne with iodine on stale skin (you shouldn’t wash it for several hours before the procedure), which has no cosmetics. To avoid unpleasant burning and quickly get rid of orange spots, before starting the process you need to lubricate the skin with a thin layer of moisturizer. After the iodine mask on the skin must be applied fat cream.
- Before starting the procedure, you need to determine the type of acne. In no event it is impossible to smear boils with iodine, as this can lead to the appearance of pigment spots, from which it will be impossible to get rid of.
- Teenagers aged 12 to 15 years are strongly discouraged from using iodine for acne. Firstly, this drug can cause severe damage to young skin, and secondly, at this age, acne is a normal phenomenon caused by an unstable hormonal background, and not the result of inflammatory processes in the pores.
- If, after applying the product, redness has appeared on the skin or an unpleasant burning sensation has begun, you should immediately wash and apply a paste of grated potato on the affected area. In this situation, the continued use of iodine is contraindicated, as this will lead to new skin problems.
- You can not treat with iodine for more than two months. After this period, you must take a break. If this rule is ignored, then in the future, due to an overdose, a person may develop iodism, which was mentioned earlier. The following symptoms are characteristic of this disease: bad breath, stained oral cavity, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat and convulsions.
How does iodine tincture deal with various skin rashes?
The effectiveness of the use of iodine in the fight against acne depends on their type:
- White eels or pro-rashes (small subcutaneous cysts of white color). This kind of acne should be treated only when the inflammation does not take up large areas of the skin (for example, if it is one acne). If you do the opposite, it can lead to allergies or irritation. Apply iodine using a cotton swab, while not touching clean skin areas (this is very important!). The procedure should be carried out at bedtime. In the morning, to increase the effectiveness, the skin can be treated with salicylic acid, the action of which will contribute to the rapid release of pus and accelerate the recovery of the epidermis.
- Comedones (plugs formed in the ducts of the sebaceous glands). In this situation, you can use iodine, but it will not relieve the problem completely. To get the maximum effect, you need to use not a iodine tincture, but a special solution of iodine, salt and water. His recipe is simple: for 100 grams of boiling water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and 4 drops of iodine. The resulting medicine must be applied to the skin with a cotton pad 2 times a day.
- Subcutaneous acne. To remove them you will need the same solution as in the fight with comedones. The method of application is the same.
- Single subcutaneous acne. Iodine tincture fairly well treats this kind of blackheads. The tool should be applied dotted with cotton swabs on problem areas, after a week you can see the result.
You have already learned about whether it is possible to smear acne with iodine, but what about contraindications? In order not to harm yourself, the use of iodine should be abandoned if you have the following problems:
- strong sensitivity to iodine;
- hyperfunction of the thyroid gland;
- thyroid adenoma;
- dermatitis herpetiformis.
In most cases, this concerns internal use, but it is still not worth the risk, since when applied to the skin, iodine tends to penetrate the body.
People who are prone to allergies, and the owner of dry skin, who decided to burn hateful acne, is also better to refuse treatment with iodine tincture.
So that you do not have to get rid of acne with iodine in the future, you should now try to do everything possible to prevent their formation. Always remember that the appearance of many external defects is associated with health problems.
In order for the skin to be healthy and clean, you need to try to eat right (eat more vegetables, fruits and cereals), maintain water balance, be more open air and try to avoid stressful situations. Representatives of the fair sex need to more carefully select cosmetics, as it can also cause rashes.
A few simple tips to help you get rid of acne:
- In the morning on an empty stomach drink a glass of pure water. The liquid will make your body earn and clean it of toxins accumulated overnight.
- Get bran and add them to food. They reduce the calorie content of food eaten and cleanse the body.
- While washing, add a little apple cider vinegar to the water. This is done in order to disinfect the skin.
Does iodine help acne? Only a doctor can answer this question for sure. Iodine is a potent substance that can both help and harm. Be sure to consult a doctor before applying such a radical means. Much better and more correct to do the prevention of acne. Follow the simple tips for a healthy lifestyle, and many of the problems in your life just disappear.